Agnostic.com

33 5

Moving--embracing the chaos. Does anyone have tips on making moving less stressful?

RoadGoddess 7 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes..just don't do it..lol

My BFF had a great idea, different colored tape on boxes or items for each room in her new place. She put the tape in each room in her new place so the movers knew to match the tape color and everything ended up where she wanted. No language barriers. Easier for all.

great idea!

Burn the place & contents to ash, get the stores to deliver all new..."put that there, please "
Sorry, but I vividly remember moving from a small mobile home to this house 40+ years ago, ain't doing it again! Best wishes!

Yeah, moving sucks. I did it alot when I was in college and through my 20's. I had my last house for 13 years, this one 6 years so far. Other than the distant possibility of moving to Canada, I'm planning on keeping my house forever.

Change is the only constant.

I crave change and newness. Cherish things as you pack them. Cherish them again when you get to the new spot.

And buy beer for everyone.

Hope you are staying in the area.

@RoadGoddess Grrrrrrrrrrrl, there's your problem! At least it stopped raining.

First, get rid of anything you have not used since your last move.

Next, pack up and box everything before moving day, saving only part of the kitchen and one bathroom for the morning of moving day.

Moving day itself shoudl just be dedicated to get your stuff from one place to another. If you are only making a local move, you can get it all from point A to point B in one day if you do enough prep work and are all boxed up on moving day.

When I did an intersta6te move, I used a company called U-Pack (there is more than one company that does this), which delivered an empty truck trailer, which I packed up, and once done, they had a "wall" you could put up and lock. They then fill the rest of the trailer with freight going to a city ner where you are moving to. On the plus side, it cost me a lot less to do this. On the down side it lengthened the moving time from point A to point B. Your costs are based on how many feet you use in the trailer and how far you are going.

Take your time and take many breaks from the stress.

Be as organized in your packing as you possibly can. Label everything clearly.
Do as much packing in advance of the move as is feasible.
Garbage bags are perfectly suitable for the items you will use right up until you walk out the door. Don't hesitate to throw away, or donate, those items that are useless to you now. Some things are harder to pitch if you've attached unnecessary sentimental value to them. I'm not talking about things like photos and the like. But things like old holiday cards, and such.
I just moved in June. It helped that I had everything organized ahead of time.
Good luck.

Hate moving! Good luck!

I am opposite of all of the advice. I have moved MANY times in my life and almost all of them "panic movies" ie guy sold house we were renting, had 3 day notice to get out; roommates dropped the ball, weren't paying rent, didn't notify anyone else about the eviction, had like a week on that one. So I cram, shove and get it all done on like a day, then when I get to my new place I take my time to unpack, relax and reorganize my life. Oh and screw cardboard. I should own stock in rubber made totes. And when you have everything unpacked they stack nicely, they sit securely upside down and with a nice table cloth they can be a good end table or catch all table by the front door. Oh and clean as you go. Also laugh, make games with yourself as you go like points for throwing trash in the trash can a room a way, it makes it go by faster and laughing is a proven stress reliever 🙂

My 2 cents: use the time to get rid of old things--you really don't want--both packing and unpacking.

I wondered where you'd vanished to after not seeing you on here for a while!

I decluttered a while back. I now have only as many clothes as I need, a few books I can't part with, my laptop, my bikes and my cameras. It makes moving much easier 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

As someone who has moved more than a few times and between different states no less, I know that it is very importnt to take your time and take breaks periodically. The physical move is temporary but your new home will be long term. Nothing will be placed in the perfect location at first and some things may get damaged or lost, but rememer that those are just things. Also, remember to enjoy each step of the way. Don't look back. Look forward to going to the new place by reminding yourself what brought you there. The move itself is work; you can't avoid that. But you can enjoy the process and remember that you will be that much stronger for being willing to take the leap.

Let this be the time to purge... get shed of almost everything... start adventures as fresh as possible...

Like the Red Hot Chili Peppers sang..."Throw it away, throw it away, throw it away now"...

...something like that...

Don't have anything hanging from your rearview mirror.

Try to take off more time from work than you think you'll need.

Many hands make light work

My last move was due to Hurricane Katrina. I didn't have to move very much.

I like moving. I'm pretty good at it you can put an add on Craigslist in the gigs section and find some help without spending a ton of money. If you run the ad a couple weeks in advance you might even get experienced help

I wish that I did...I would use it myself!!! I, too am moving. Thank heavens I have another month to get it done! I just keep moving...myself and stuff! It looks as if our stuff, multiplis as you start packing and sorting it! Just suck it up and keep going...

Drugs and lots of friends with drugs to help with the boxes and furniture.

I agree on the drugs but get movers. It ends up being cheaper and way faster. Less stuff will get damaged or broken. When I factored in gas money for the truck, replacing the broken stuff, pizza, and beer for everyone it ended up about the same as using pros. I never moved myself again. I pack but the movers do everything else.

You can calm down you and it won't seem so chaotic.

One thing I suggest is to get an AirBnB in the new location for a month or two -- that way, you don't have to commit to a long-term lease or home purchase before you know the new city.

The bottom line is that moving is always a lot of work. Planning your move as thoroughly as possible, packing in an organized way, reserving/renting a truck, or hiring movers. If using a company to move, be as prepared as possible when they arrive so it's just a matter of emptying your "old" abode and moving the contents to the new one. This is all common-sense stuff. I moved to a new (to me) home back in October and I'm still not fully unpacked. LOL! Someday I hope to have the use of my garage for its intended purpose.

Plan it carefully, but prepared to play it by ear, Murphy's Law is always in force.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.