Agnostic.com

11 1

Something that you’ve accomplished that was hard.

What was something you’ve accomplished that was hard?

Madeline1992 5 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow, well let’s see. First and foremost, graduating from bootcamp at Parris Island. That was back in 1984 when there was no touchy-feely, consideration-of-others, snowflake, whiners. All my drill instructors had served in Vietnam, so that made the experience tougher than what it would be nowadays. Fast forward 24 years and my second hardest accomplishment was earning my doctorate degree. At that time, I was married, had two elementary grade children, and was in command of an Army unit. Hence, my time management skills were seriously put to the test.

Back in the autumn of 2016, I was in the midst of another depressive episode with low self esteem. I weighed 270 pounds and had Type II Diabetes. I was stuck in a soul-stealing job with no light at the end of the tunnel. But even throughout all of this, I was clinging onto one thing; positive thinking.

At the begining of November 2016, something in my mind just said, "OK, enough of this!" Over the years I had learned a number of little things, here and there, that would help improve my mental outlook, but I had never stuck with any single one for very long. Finally, I decided to implement ALL of those little things at the same time, and I finally started to feel better about myself. By February of 2017, I felt like a whole new person.

At the end of March 2017, I had just gotten a blood test done to get a prescription renewed for my Diabetes medication. I hate needles, and getting blood drawn was always an ordeal, because, even if they find the vein, they have trouble getting blood out of me. It didn't matter how much water I drank prior, blood never wanted to leave my veins.

Afterwards, I came across some information about how some people had managed to "reverse" their Diabetes and get off the prescription medications. I looked into the matter and did my own research, and started a weightloss program designed to help regain my body's insulin sensitivity.

To make a longer story shorter, I got down to 215 pounds, and regained my insulin sensitivity. I am no longer on the diabetes meds, and my glucose readings are better than they have ever been, even while I was still on the meds.

Passing the written exam for a pilot's license was no easy feat. It's a grueling 6 hour test.

SamL Level 7 Nov 6, 2017

Being legally (partially) blind, a lot of things are "hard". Most recently I replaced a light fixture and outlet with built in circuit breaker in my sister's kitchen. Before that I took out a cherry tree for her, which I understand died about 20 years ago then grew back from the root below the graft, so the cherries didn't taste good and it shaded the other cherry tree that produced good tasting cherries. Also took out hte stump, not just the upper part of the tree.

Made a pretty good recovery from a stroke

I got out of an abusive relationship and finally moved into my own apartment by myself. No roommate, no boyfriend. It has been absolute joy.

Hi WN, Would you like a conversation? I have a psychology background. ??

I quit alcohol and cigarettes. Both were hard to give up, but for different reasons with different strategies.

I had a baby for a gay couple 8/19/2014

Earning my 100ton Boat Captain's license.

Learning how to play the Bagpipes !

Both worth it !

Years ago I started a staff development and school improvement center serving 12 rural school districts -- from scratch. It started on project status from the state department of education. After 3 04 4 years, I felt that the center should move its focus in one direction, and my boss thought it should go in another. I did not believe that the superintendents in the 12 districts would support the center if it became what my boss wanted. My boss was not happy and was prepared to recommend that the center not be continued.

I gambled my carrer on my opinion. I asked the state department of education to discontinue its funding at the end of the school year, so that if was going to continue solely with local district support. I also went out and talked with all 12 superintendents and asked them they would want from the center if it was to be continued, and wove together a proposed program of services in line with my own perceptions.

At a meeting of all 12 superintendents, my boss recommended that the center be discontinued and that my job be done away with. The superintends voted 11 to 1 to fund the center, continue it, and that the center's focus should be the plan I formulated with them.

From that point on, I build the center into a very successful program of staff development services for teachers and administrators, and school improvement services focusing on improved student learning.. A number of the programs I began won state and national recognition. I have always taken chances based on what I thought was right.

I lost 85 pounds. Along the way, I realized a great many things about energy usage and storage, and was able to develop a model of rerouting external energy costs so large numbers of people can be less exposed to toxins, be healthier personally, keep more money, not have to support oil wars, etc. A portion of my model was published in the New York Times and all of it will appear in my upcoming novel SCAPEGOATS (Golden Fleece Press March 2018).

Also, I completely re-did the way my office handled audits and brought it into the electronic age and introduced mathematical modeling and modern statistics to the process. $30 mil in 13 years. But that was more fun than it was hard.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2949
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.