Agnostic.com

14 2

Relaxation and recreation

What do you do when you come home from work? Do you believe that leisure time should be to expand and develop ourselves or to just shut down? Please discuss the importance of leisure and what you do and what you would like to do in the future.

• 22 votes
  • 16 votes
  • 28 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 30 votes
Hope4Zoe 6 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gourmet is hard to pun down. Pretty sure I'm not there.

I watch Jeopardy usually. Little else.

I don't have to come home from work, I live where I work I do all of the above but, damn this site is addictive.

Lucky you!

Working out, this site and DVD's. Need to meditate more.

Meditating is good! It's better when done with friends.

@Hope4Zoe I've never tried it with anyone else before. Usually just lie down in a quiet room, put my feet up and listen to my heart beat. Everthing else just fades away.

I am always reading or listening to a few books. I usually prefer nonfiction and Sci-Fi. Currently, I am reading "First Peoples In The New World: Colonizing Ice Age America" (Kindle); "The Horse, The Wheel, and Language" (hardcopy); Society Without God (Play Books); and listening to "A Small Colonial War: Ark Royal" and "The Problems With Philosophy" and "A History Of The World In Six Glasses" (Audible).

Wow, thanks for the list. I recently finished reading The Vegetarian by Han Kong (a wee bit Kafkaesque). I started "The Light in the Ruins." (WWII Mystery.) I prefer Sci-fi though, mostly.

@Hope4Zoe
Most would find my readings a bit dry.

I relax, typically, on the way home. I stop and get dinner, and read, or make notes about the days work (tonight I had to do that as the day ended in such a way that notes had to be made). Tonight I finished one book at dinner (was almost done when I got there). When I got home, I switched to a new book and while the cats were eating, read it... I am cheating a bit in that it was a graphic novel which contained a series of comics dedicated to The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Pulled up another book but haven't started it yet and came online to see what is what.

This may well change in the near future as I intend to enroll in a beginners Yoga class (I need health and flexibility) and will start riding bicycle again, hopefully starting weekend after next... I need to test ride to work to see if I will need to get a bus pass to make it or if I can just ride the distance to/from work in a timely fashion. Those two activities may well be my rest/relax time (along with my reading) for the foreseeable future.

Oh, weekends I do volunteer work at Next Step recycling. It keeps me 'socialized' and not 'hermitized.' 🙂

Good job taking up yoga. I find it super helpful!

@Gnarloc, good for you. Cats, yoga, books, biking, volunteering . . . an atheist's heaven, aye.

99% of the time it's come home, make dinner, help with homework, clean up, put kids to bed, clean more then sit or lay on the bed until insomnia lets me go to sleep.

You're presuming we all work. 😉

@RavenCT Touche'.

@RavenCT (You're luckier than most if you don't have to sell your time, body, and mind.) If you don't do work, then what do you do for the time you allocate as leisure?

@Hope4Zoe I'm disabled. So don't envy me.

Loads of time on the computer. Books. Movies. Music. Pets. Household crap.

@Hope4Zoe Also retirees on this site....

@RavenCT Yes, but even those who don't have a conventional job like those who are disabled or retirees have chores and tasks and things that aren't categorized as leisure or recreation. Leisure, recreation, and relaxation are undervalued in our hectic, over-stimmed, high tech world.

Some evenings I go for a walk. Other evenings, I go straight for the beer after work.

I do some relaxercising. I work long days so, I don't have much time after I get home. But, I do try to at least read what's posted here before I end my day.

Duke Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

If I feel energetic enough, I like to do something moderately productive with some of my leisure time, but for the most part it's just my recovery period.

I go to the beach, need my fix,

Lucky you!

I watch Netflix while preparing my dinner.

Most nights of the week, band practice or a gig.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.