Agnostic.com

3 3

QUESTION Kare11.com | Student's invention protects his school

Smart/creative kid...

BeeHappy 9 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love the innovation, despair that it's even needed. Turning our schools into armed camps or prisons cannot be the solution to this crisis!

At least, in this case, it did look like metal doors with metal jambs. & yes, that would be pivotal to make this work. I'm not worried about the "sledgehammer" problem. Probably wouldn't be brought by someone wanting to shoot, be a bit clumsy. & if it was would surely slow the shooter down & allow for a response. If the cop was actually willing to enter the school, of course!

It looked to me as if the base plate that is slid under the door could be pushed back into the room from the outside. Additionally unless the door hinges are reinforced in the door jam with steel, knocking them out with a sledge hammer would enable the door to be pivoted over the top of the Justincase.

I don't think so. Check the video again. It's pushed under from the inside, spread apart as far as it can be and then locked into place. I believe most of the door jams are metal reinforced. Besides how is someone going to wield a sledge hammer and a weapon?

@BeeHappy Steel framed doors are better protected than wooden which with time the wood deteriorates or repeated hangings end up weakening the hinge seat. If you are saying that extending the horizontal sliding bar locks it into place against the door frame which I think you may be correct on when I revisualise the shape of the end plate will prevent it being pushed in. Looking at how much the door twists in from pushing from the outside identifies that the door is most likely made of ply or is of hollow construction. The probability is that a few shot gun blasts will see a hole big enough to walk through or blasts at the hinges will blow the door free allowing it to be pushed over.

Yeah, it's been a while since I have been in a school and I don't think they are all constructed the same. Some doors metal some wood? Idk, but regardless it is at least an attempt to slow down and hopefully stop an intruder. Failsafe, probably not, but it's something.

Clever except a lot of doors had glass in them when I was in school - granted glass with wire in it - so it would make it much harder to get a hand through.

Perhaps enough response time for Police/SWAT.

Not sure what good getting a hand through would do. I am guessing a broken wrist would be the usual consequence.

@Dick_Martin Yes that's a good point.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29706
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.