Agnostic.com

8 18

Snowstorm in the mountains! We went snowshoeing.

Although it was sunny in Wenatchee, today Karen and I drove uphill into a snowstorm at Mission Ridge Ski Area.

"Look at the snowstorm at Mission Ridge!" I said. "We are heading right into it." Snowstorms at higher elevations are typical in the winter.

Whiteout conditions and blowing snow. I put my camera away so it wouldn't get wet. When it's snowing, it's best to use snowshoes. It was hard work breaking trail with snowshoes in deep snow.

To prevent hypothermia, I changed out of wet, sweaty clothes during lunch. Brrrr! Hot tea helped.

"It's hard to be a mountain woman in the winter," Karen said. "Most people stop hiking when it gets cold. Winter is my favorite time of year in the mountains."

I love the elegant simplicity of the woods in winter.

Avalanche warning: On a steep slope, we saw snow rolls rolling downhill like these on Tronsen Ridge in March 2018. There are two avalanche areas on Pipeline trail, but farther up the trail than we went.

Here I'm on Pipeline trail in December 2016. Today there was a LOT more snow.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful pictures

Gosh, it's simply beautiful.

i definitely want to go snowshoeing. I almost bought some snowshoes but they were overpriced so I didnt. i can't wait till i finally do it.

@Janiesuper

I got MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes on sale for 50% off last April or May. They are great snowshoes: nimble and maneuverable with excellent traction. I highly recommend them.

The heel lift bar is easy to pull up with your pole. It reduces strain on your achilles tendon and calf muscle on uphill climbs. Using the heel lift bar reduces fatigue and increases your power walking uphill.

[amazon.com]

Thank you for the pictures I always enjoy them. Makes me cold though. Need some of your bread.

Um... I'll be back at the lodge when you're done. You can find me in the bar. 😉

@bigpawbullets

You cupcake! What a wuss. 🙂

Awesome!!! ❤️

I tip my hat to you, oh intrepid one!

@Jerry99

Thank you! That's a big compliment. "Intrepid" means "resolutely fearless or dauntless."

@LiterateHiker I thought it meant adventurous which is what I thought of when I saw your wonderful photos. Anyway, good for you for staying strong and not slowing down!

@jerry99

Thank you. In taking photos, I have been simplifying the composition. This makes a better picture.

Beautiful photos! 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.