Agnostic.com

9 0

What is unique about your Generation?

I've been reading about generations this morning...and there are a lot of trends and consistencies by generation.

Currently, five generations make up our society. Here are the birth years for each generation:

Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 and later
Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 to 1995
Generation X: Born 1965 to 1976
Baby Boomers: Born 1946 to 1964
Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before

What generation are you from and what is unique to it?

Some thinking points:

Parenting
Economics
Technology & Media
Music & Arts
Culture
Major Influential Events
Religion
Thought processes
Communication

---and whatever else you want to add.

• 1 vote
  • 10 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 3 votes
silvereyes 8 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a Baby Boomer (born in '62)....Our generation had the best music, without question. Well, okay, we had Disco, too, but I think that Motown and the British Invasion more than made up for that...

nothing, they are all replicating copies: the only things unique were in the 90s and now it's like a bunch of copies of brainless sheep

I didn’t know I was from the silent generation. I was thrown out of restaurants because of friendship with black friends. I remember exactly where I was when JFK was shot. Parenting was not a lot different except people didn’t worry about their young kids going blocks to visit friends. Phones were rotary. Music was Buddy Holly and the Beatles. Culture was bad for minorities. Religion was shitty but at least people didn’t push it in each other’s face at every conversation. Thought processes grow. Communication was sitting on the back porch and talking without everybody having to check their #$$# cell phones every @#$% two minutes.

gearl Level 8 Nov 27, 2017

I just wish to refresh your memory regarding that so called silent generation. They survived two world wars and a depression that none of you have experienced.My family ran a stable that did weddings and funerals. Coaches plus eight black and eight white horses to drive them. During the depression there wasn't much call for fancy weddings and the family to survive ate those beautiful horses.Ten children ,two parents and three wives all living and working together to survive. The war saw three uncles and three other husbands deployed . Four were wounded and two were captured and held for 1-2 years in Nazie camps. During the war we kids collected cans ,nails screws and other metal objects for the war effort. The war was paid for by war bonds. Food, clothes were not the best. Cars were not made because the war effort needed all the metal. Kids practiced for air drills. We stood in long lines for food and used food stamps which limited what you could buy. There were blackouts fearing airplane attacks. Everyone gathered around the radio to hear the news at night. First were the number of killed in action then the wounded. It did not make for great news. We wanted to hear how far the Germans were pushed back in the various war zones especially those where we knew our men were fighting. The games played by the children both boys and girls centered around the war playing as nurses,Navy pilots,Marines and soldiers in the battles being reported that day. The Nation worked as one. The DEMS and REP all worked for the greater good of the Nation. There were still arguments but they were settled by compromise. Even in war it was a great proud country to live in

Boomer here. Parenting is a good subject to discuss, as its effects last for generations. As a young adult, I watched Doctor Spock's book take hold in the hippy generation, creating an atmosphere of privilege for children, in that little kids could make up their own minds about many things. I watched parents raise their kids as friends, totally disregarding the need for rules, discipline, and respect. The result: spoiled, entitled people with no life skills to handle the real world, so they live in their parent's basement till they're 30, playing video games.

</rant>

It's very typical for parents to ease off on their strictness as more kiddies come along... happened in my household as well.

Generation Z forever! I was born in 2004. To that effect I can't comment on our parenting, but we do communicate just as much as anyone else. Parents see us on our phones calling us introverted, but what are we really doing? We are talking with friends! We are connecting with people all over the world! We are learning new things through our devices. We are questioning lies and being activists for the truth. We are turning our backs on what our family's believe, and through the digital world discovering what we believe.

I think what us older folk find offensive with people who can't pry themselves away from their phones is the disrespect it shows for those in present company. "My interests are more important than you" is the overt message. On one hand, yes, technology connects us in such amazing ways, but then there's social decorum...

My generation was the VERY LAST to use: cassette tapes, VHS, manual gaming consoles, drink surge when it wasn't cool, grow up playing outside, drinking from the garden hose, frequenting a library for books only, desensitized to a lot of "offensive" things, received an ass whooping as punishment, etc, etc. Oh, we also were raised without constant access to internet and cell phone usage.

Playing outside - there's a big one. During summer, me and my buddies would disappear for hours on our bikes. Or we'd build forts. In the winter, we'd grab a shovel and charge 50 cents to clean driveways after a snowstorm. Some days I'd come home with $10.

The things that influenced me the most outside of my environment were: the assassination of JFK, MLK Jr, Malcolm X, Robert Kennedy, and the attempt on George Wallace. It was a very dangerous time (seemed to me), then came Woodstock, and finally Watergate. Somehow I lived through most of the Vietnam war. I'm not very trustful in the government. Wonder where that came from.

I'm a Gen X.
Off of the top of my head, the cold war was going strong, we had the space race which pushed the US to land several missions on the moon.
We had the Vietnam war, it's protests and its end.
We had the glorious resignation of President Nixon.

We can only hope they don't say the unfortunate re-election. 😮

I forgot to add that the Beatles broke up back then too.

The hopeful re-election

@Vercetti25 Seriously? You think the golfer in chief is doing a good job and should be re-elected? This is of course if he makes it through the first four years without being removed, forced to resign, or arrested.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2998
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.