Agnostic.com

20 6

Alternative Housing

I watched a program recently in which people had curious homes. One man turned a 747 plane into a home.

If you had to choose an unconventional form of housing, what would it be?

I would choose shipping containers.

Donotbelieve 9 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Moon🙂

The view would be awesome🙂!

A barge in Holland.

Earthship home designs.

[pinterest.com]

50 best container home designs.

[homebnc.com]

There's no place like dome.

I think the concrete dome houses are very interesting. I've seen pictures of some that were fancy and some that were kind of strange.

A train. A different room in each car so you can switch them around whenever you want, plus you could ride all over the country.

That would be fantastic. Except for the times where I forget which car has a bathroom in the middle of the night.

@RedskyRiver no that's another great thing about a train. You can just pee out the window. Even if a cop sees you he will never catch you. Be careful of the wind though!

@mooredolezal hehehe
He he

That's so weird. I just saw a show where a couple made a house out of two shipping containers they're also planning on adding a third.

This guy is building a project houseboat company from scratch. Seems to be quite well thought out.

[quidnon.blogspot.com]

That is really cool. I just watched a youtube video on unique houses, including one guy that has multiple attempts at building a floating island with plastic bottles.

@RedskyRiver Reduce, reuse, recycle, reclaim, repurpose.

A Hobbit hole

Some of those converted shipping containers are amazing..

A missile silo would be really cool.....

This water tower house would be nice.

[ocregister.com]

Same, shipping containers. They are modular, inexpensive and can look quite nice. Only downside is that they have a lower ceilings, but my tall friends would just have to deal.

Since it's a dream scenario, the construction style is wide open.

A kiva although the shipping container idea is a close second and much more practical in my current location.

JimG Level 8 Mar 2, 2019

Dead malls make great elderly housing with stores on lower levels and living on top.

Has this actually ever been done?

@bingst In Japan, all the time.

@bingst Yes in RI and a great sucess that had been in bankruptcy

A castle.

THHA Level 7 Mar 2, 2019

I always thought an old grain bin could make a cool house. Insulation would be tricky though.

From Mother Earth News:

Three words, Spray On Insulation.....

@Redheadedgammy It would still be necessary to build an interior wall next to the skin.

I used to love the house used as the home base for Jonathan Creek in the series of the same name converted from an abandoned windmill.

adobe, or perhaps something inflatable that you can take to the lake on the weekend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:301691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.