Agnostic.com

18 4

Would you consider working for a religious organization?

• 12 votes
  • 28 votes
Chooseluv 5 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Define religious organization, because Egyptians used to worship cats. I could get on board with that. ? But seriously, no.

I have no interest work for them

Which organization, witch organization

It would have to be a damn high paying job for me to put up with their BS.

If it was the best job I could find at the time yes .

Absolutely not, i would never work for any organistion that i consider to be evil and exploitative

It depends on what you mean by religious organizations. Are you include organizations with a religious board of directors? I've worked for many different types of companies and have noticed that the holidays defined as days off (about 8 a year plus 2 floating) can be defined by the board of directors. Jewish boards don't include Easter (Good Friday), Christian / Catholic ones do. If you mean churches or health care facilities, no -- I would not work for them.

I'd look forward to an opportunity of creative more apostates. Otherwise it would not be worth it.

hell no unless it was to dismantle it.

I did maintenance work for a church camp for a year and a half. The church ministry that used the facility were fine. The couple that managed the place (my immediate supervisors) were horrible people.

I do, as a matter of fact, and I appreciate very much working for an organization that embodies its values.

UUNJ Level 8 Mar 3, 2019

It depends on the organisation. There's a Christian organisation based near me which bakes (very nice) bread and uses the money they make to buy and distribute food to the homeless and poor, for free to those who can't afford anything and for much less than it costs in shops to those who can afford a little. They help anyone in need whether that person is Christian, any other religion or not religious, and don't take employees' religion (or lack thereof) in account either - I know three people who have worked for them, one Muslim, one atheist and one Hindu. They also pay the "living wage", which is a recommended amount per hour a person is estimated to need to be able to live on without financial hardship and higher than the legally-required minimum wage, and while they do have a prayer meeting every morning attendance is strictly by choice. I would work for them, and did in fact once apply for a job with them.

On the other hand, there are numerous religious organisations that try to "encourage" (or inflict, depending on your point of view) their chosen religious structure on employees. There's no way I could work for one such as that.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 3, 2019

Sure! If you’re hungry enough you should be willing to do about anything.

I don't want to support a religious organization.

I have worked for Quakers, Catholic Workers, Presbyterians for peace in Palestine and the Rainbow Coalition with Rev Jesse Jackson

No. Against my views .

Just like I wouldn't work for a slaughter house. Against my values as a vegetarian.

Carin Level 8 Mar 2, 2019

Do i get free chicken?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:302223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.