Agnostic.com

46 14

Temper Temper..

A friend of mine stopped by over the weekend, she was telling me about her new job.
Apparently, her boss is a nice guy, but he has a temper.
He’ll all of a sudden get enraged when something isn’t going as planned and scream or throw things out into the street.
She said he has trouble taking responsibility for anything.

How’s your temper? Do you go from 0 to lunatic right away?
Do you throw stuff? Scream?

If you used to have a temper, what steps did you take to change that?

My ex has a temper, I learned to cultivate calm so as to set an example of what I prefer, but it didn’t really help him.

I’ve never been a hot head.

AMGT 8 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There was a time when I was a frickin lunatic. Mine was because I had some stressful stuff going on at home that I wasn't dealing with. I haven't raged in 10 years. I used to every day.

I have a temper, and I can let a few angry word's fly. It doesn't happen near as often as I have aged, but I would be lying if I said different. I don't throw things, but I can get fighting mad. I always regret losing my temper. I know there is a better person inside.

My father was basically harmless but very crusty and snarly at times and I was fairly sensitive child who was intimidated by that. Over against that, he found ways to show me that he loved me unconditionally, even if it took me until I was a young adult to fully believe it.

As such I'm very averse to either expressing my anger or absorbing the anger of others. When I get sufficiently honked off because my very long fuse runs out, I just take action. My first wife for example [mis]used me in various ways over 15 years and one day it just reached a tipping point and our marriage evaporated just like that. I honestly don't think she believed I had it in me. And it DID take a lot of hard work on her part to get me there, because I did marry her out of love.

Some people feel I should, if anything, be MORE angry. I think my even-keel nature is made worse in recent years by emotional numbness, some of it from adversity, some of it from age, and all of it amounting to indifference. I cannot be overtaken by emotion that would lay waste to me if I let it. For better or worse, I've always regarded violent emotion with great distrust, and at my age, I'm not likely to change that very much.

I had somewhat of a temper when l was young. It was actually useful in working with those older than me. I have less need of that now so really don't display it anymore.
I never had fits or threw things, that would have been counter to my purpose.

No I just go quiet.

Funny you should ask. I came from a rather peaceful family and the only arguing my parents did was over money and my mother was always the winner. Somehow I got the impression one should take out their anger on inanimate objects and did so (and ended up fixing everything I broke). I think that idea gave me reign to allow anger to come. After reading a book "When Anger Hurts" I saw the folly in my idea and to was easy to change. However, I do get frustrated and backed in corners. At these time I have to be measured in my assertiveness. Up the volume some and be emphatic on how I feel. It works.

Hah, that sounds like my former supervisor.

My temper is usually a slow build up and simmer based on the rate of stress I'm feeling. If things keep piling on, I get quieter and madder over time. I've exploded into ranting and raving a handful of times, but I've always tried my damnedest to not let things get too carried away. My old supervisor almost drove me to cave his face in a few times because of incompetence and his own crap temper.

Only a handful of things might cause me to go nuts from the get go, otherwise it's more of a "slumbering volcano".

I have a bad temper. I used to yell a lot. Yoga breathing has helped me a lot.

It's not my temper that bothers me. it's when it turns cold and I pick up a carving knife ...

God do I have a temper. I generally just yell. Sometimes, when I can't escape the situation for whatever reason, I'll get to a point where I'm just sort of screaming...sounds lol. Really just screaming. Have stopped throwing shit, thankfully. I worked on it in therapy some years back, but that's mostly faded off I'm sure, and the worsening depression in the years after didn't help. Medication has helped immensely. Even more so now that I'm taking adderall.

I shout @ sporting events. ...save my angry energy for bad referees or evil bad opposing team athletes. ...mostly football but I always want to piss upon baseball batters who "cross" the crucifix motion on their chests before pitchers throw the ball. ....AND I SHOUT BACK @ radio cult liar Ruuuusssssaaaahhh DINGY CRAZY LimpBOSS with the truth every time he lies 15 hours a week

The only thing that annoys me these days is people who choose not to indicate while driving. Even flat-earthers don't bother me any more 😀

I can get anxious very quickly and used to have a tendency to lash out. More tantrums than attacks. I've been learning techniques such as DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) and meditation to help become more aware of and in control of these impulses.

Only if someone picks on me first ,and then it depends on how severe they come - I have hyperacusis so don't want anyone shouting in my face I am pretty easy going - don't start fights.

I do have a temper and can get stressed over nothing which gradually builds up into an outburst if things aren't going my way. I was like it as a kid and it's about time I grew up. These days I tend to raise my voice only but you wouldn't like me when I'm really angry. My current source of infuriation is my new phone. I've tried mindfulness techniques but I've never really learned to relax properly. I'm also manic depressive and am either bedridden or rushing around trying to do a billion things at once. There's plenty of good people in my life and I have a good shrink so there's hope for me yet.

I am an extremely chill person. I rarely use my temper, but when my kids were still children, I had a really short fuse when anyone messed with them.

JimG Level 8 Feb 28, 2018

I am more apt to just slip back into my shell until I can think a little more clearly. Keeps temper at bay.

Back in the day when I was young and my blood was about 150 proof testosterone, my alter ego was Yosemite Sam. The most I'll do now is blast out a couple foul words at the Universe, and I'm done. I never was a thrower, but my mother was! Anything within reach, and I mean anything. She's the reason I could dance so well back then.

I’ve got a pretty slow burn, but if I’m constantly exposed to the same stimuli, then I can react pretty strongly. My daughter does that sort of thing. She’ll do the same thoughtless thing over and over and I’ll get ticked off pretty quickly.

I m watching Charles Bronson in Deathwish Ii now... go figure. Lol

I have a temper, but I manage it well. lived with a verbally abusive and manipulative wife with a borderline personality disorder, and was frequently legitimately furious, but never hit her. T I only blow my cool verbally (never physically) when a find a person/s behavior and/or words particularly repugnant. If I get angry , I consider my words and actions carefully and if it is important to me, I fight back with planned strategy of words and action -- and have always won (without violence).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.