Agnostic.com

40 12

How well do you listen actively?

The Chinese symbol for listening consists of five separate symbols: ears, eyes, mind, heart, and undivided attention. Using that as a basis, how well do you listen?

EllenDale 7 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to be as attentive as i can, but if the conversation is pointless, or i feel uneasy about the location (situational awareness is writ deep in my bones) you aren't going to have my full attention. To get my full attention, the subject must require it.

@DobbinPitch Good answer!

Much, much better than I used to. Though when I get excited about a topic, I need to be conscious of not over talking someone else !

@evergreen My biggest weakness is not knowing when someone is finished talking or I get overly excited. At those times I interrupt.

@EllenDale It's a tough habit to break. I've found a good way to practice not doing it, is have people hold some item while they're talking. No one else can speak while they're holding onto that item. When they're finished with their thought, they pass it to the next one who has something to say . Works pretty well !

@evergreen Thanks for that reminder! I've read about that as a Native American practice. If only I could have used it in our division meetings!

It depends on the conversation and if I am allowed to participate. I fall asleep easily at programs especially when it is something which I am not especially interested.

@JackPedigo I never felt guilty about sleeping through boring presentations, but I'm hard-pressed when It was something about which I had to report back to my division. I had to learn to listen to keep my job!

That would depend on who's speaking....

@Buddha That's a very common problem.

Yes, I am a good listener because a lot of people like to hear themselves talk. Usually, when I am in a group conversation, I listen a lot more than I talk. I pay attention and internalize if it is something I am interested in, otherwise can space out pretty easily.

@PappyOnWings Welcome to the USA! It sounds as if you have it down pretty good, even when you're not listening!

Not as well as I talk, unfortunately.

godef Level 7 Feb 28, 2018

@godef Lol. Join the club!

Probably less well than I think I do.

@SherryMartin An honest person! 🍺 and 🍕 for you.

depends on who and what there is to listen too probably.

@hankster Sometime when you really need or want to listen, try the above and see if it helps. I was like you for years until I learned to listen.

I'm not really sure I want to listen. there's a whole lot of useless irrelevant noise out there.

@hankster No law or rule says we have to listen, either! Lol

@EllenDale that's good for me i reckon. I'd be in plenty of trouble if there were....lol.

With the Chinese "definition" shown here, horribly. I doubt I EVER listen with that level of completeness. As others have said in response to this post; it depends on the audience and the topic and my perception of the importance thereof. =] I'm basically lazy.

@IAMGROOT Join the club with most of America. Active listening really is tiring!

I'm getting better but I struggle with paying attention so I miss things. One trick I employ is I'll ask "I'm sorry - I was thinking about what you said before. Would you mind repeating that?"

@Donster Good save!

Pretty good I ,was a person centred counsellor/lecturer listening -skills-r-us.But I became proficient at face reading as a very small child with mentally unwell parents - so no brainer really.

@jacpod I'm sorry you had to go through that as a child but wonderful that you turned it around to a skill of strength as an adult.

This is a weakness for me. I used to stop listening at the end of the first coherent thought, even if the speaker didn't stop. With great effort and years of practice I have reached the point where I can say "Stop. Lets talk about what you just said." Apparently that pisses some people off?

@Dick_Martin The faster the brain races, the more difficult it is to stop on a dime! Good on you, though, for being an active listener through participation.

@EllenDale lol... Nice way of telling me I am a crusty old curmudgeon. I take it as a compliment.

It depends what it is I'm listening too.

@LeighShelton and who, sometimes. I had a psyche prof who spoke in a monotone. Here's a hint: don't tell someone his lectures put you to sleep. It says more about him than you. My bad!

yes, I've been there lol. I went to a lecture at the famous London zoo years ago @EllenDale or stalky as I now like to call you lol. we went behind the scenes in the public aquaria and then had this lecture with slides. it was dark with just this bloke droning on and I was snoring

What?

@KKGator What's on second!

@EllenDale I don't know. Third base.

I listen to all I don't always take it on board or hear it as I'm not like others but I listen, watch and see like few others.

@GaryDoherty For me, watching is just as important as listening. Both give me the maximum amount of information.

Definitely all are as important for without looking and listening and feeling how do you ever hope to get to know a person of a group of people

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30429
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.