Agnostic.com

20 4

Is there an unwritten law somewhere that parents need to adopt their adult children’s pets when they can no longer care for them? What is the approximate life span of a guinea pig?

Ingridd 4 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, if you care about the animal and the kids lived at home when the pet was acquired.

My daughter has tried twice to get me to adopt her beloved dog. I simply tell her no and remind her of her commitment and her love for her dog. So far, she has stuck with her for about seven years. I hope that continues.

When my daughter moved to Lexington, then moved into a tiny apartment with her boyfriend, she left her fussy pet snake and white African dwarf frog with my ex and me.
We ended up having to thaw baby mice to feed the snake, and I even raised earthworms in a large bucket over the winter to make sure the white frog had fresh food every day.

She eventually took the snake back, and sold it to someone else, but the frog stayed on, and lived for 15 years!

I left a very large Rottweiler with my parents when I got out of the army. I was temporarily living in an apartment that didn't allow pets and was far too small for him.

After a couple months, I found an apartment, but my father and Roscoe had become inseparable. I couldn't take the dog from him. As a bonus, the dog also bonded with the cat I gave them when I enlisted.

JimG Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

Foster fail! Awesome.

In Peru, the weekend.

My daughter two dogs destroyed practically my apartment living room. I said Never again... will I allow any pet of my children in my house.

Don't know if you meant this to be funny but it is. 🙂

Cuy are tasty. Just saying.

There must be one, because all three of my parents animals were brought home by my sister.

Ha! Always thought there was! My brother and I each bequeathed our parents a dog, which they loved until it died of old age! I think your small pet has a much shorter lifespan, however!

No such law in the books....but should be one making illegal to adopt stupid pets (snakes / guinea pigs / spiders / anguilas....)

Guinea pig 2 -5 years tops

In my family, absolutely. Animals are considered family. Or was it, family are animals. LOL

Sure, my pets are # 1....but no stupid pets.

Ginea pigs are pretty tasty if prepared properly.

Guinea Pig Facts
Average Adult Size 8 to 11 inches long
Average Life Span up to 8 years with proper care
Diet herbivore

I am expecting they will live on the outside of the usual parameters under my care. I had a cat that liver to be 21. Thanks for sharing the info, though.

@Ingridd haha! It will probably live to like 15!

I think there is.

No but...

I was rather upset when I went off to college. I came back and my cat had been given away about the instant I drove off! Worse, much of my stuffs had been similarly given away. The least they could've done was talk to me about it. Y'know, call? Granted, this was the dark ages of the '80s, but telephones weren't that rare back then! 🙂

Same, no the pets, I was kicked out of home at 16-17, went to get my stuff, my parents had given it all to my brothers and others. This was not things given by my parents, this was gear I am worked for and paid for myself.

Hmm... my cat was the 'worst' part, not my 'stuffs'... though both were still pretty bad at the time... mostly because I felt, again, like I couldn't trust my family at all... which I guess I couldn't, seeing as I came back from basic training to find that my sister had stripped/destroyed my '70 Camaro. 😟

Where is that wahmbulance anyway? 🙂

@Rugglseby The cat really was bad (I've always had a pet, save for my single years after moving out for college).

That said, while I was young I subscribed to, and collected several comic books (the subscriptions were gifts from either parents or grandparents), but I kept these, in order, and carefully resleeved in the same sleeves they were shipped in. I also had a lot of books that I'd collected over the years. Also a collection of Nat. Geo that went back to the 1930s (no, I am NOT that old). The only thing that wasn't given away was the Nat. Geos (granted, I also doted on the Nat. Geos.). Years later I find that the comics I'd subscribed to are worth a small fortune.

No, the value isn't really the issue, it's that the one thing that I obviously enshrined, was given away. Why? This was the '80s. Would you expect a child of the '40s to recognize the value of a comic book versus that of Nat Geo or some books (mostly Edgar Rice Burroughs but again books going WAY back)? Yep, they saw comics and a pulp as trash, and the Nat Geos as an investment and kept them... were it me, I'd see no harm in boxing it all, and stuffing it in a corner of the attic, or some such. Even if they didn't really store it appropriately, it at least shows an effort and says they valued my opinion/thoughts on the matter.

Put another way: I hear ya bud. Steamed me just as it seems it steamed you. And it's the callous disrespect/disregard that hurts. For me (ain't speakin' for you bud) THAT is what hurts, not really the loss of my stuffs.

@Gnarloc and @Rugglesby - What the heck? Really rough growing up there!

I can't imagine - well I can and I'm sincerely sorry that happened to either of you.

@Gnarloc The cat I can really understand, last time I lost a house, I had to give my dog away because I was living in my car,
the joy when I got her back2-3 years later, and she is still with me now, thought getting old

@RavenCT sounds ruthless

@Rugglesby Heheh, I sold my house in '16, moved into my car with my two cats (I'd lived in my car for about a years back in '82, sans animals, mind). We traipsed around the SW with a delve to the NE (Jersey) and I realized I was spending enough on hotel fees (so, no, I wasn't REALLY living in the car, more like out of it) to buy an RV... am living there now. When/if I can find a real job, or a gal, or that house that just HAS to be bought, I'll settle back down in what will likely be my last home. For now, the RV is my mobile apartment. Am working as a substitute teacher but... man, this does NOT pay the bills!

Hoping i can get my head back on my shoulders, straight, and get a job (etc) before too much longer.

I left home at 17. I had neatly put all of my mementos, pictures, etc. in a box and left my mom a note or something. A couple of years later, she told me she threw it away.

@BlueWave I am sorry to hear that. Hope things are better for you now (as they, mostly, are for me).

No its called being humane and they live about 5 years

4 to 8 years.

And yes I think there might be a law somewhere? I brought home a goldfish that a friend dumped on me at 1 am (in college) and my Mom took care of that fish for 10 years.

Also depends on the age of the child. I was about 19 - by age 25 they should be able to care for a small creature. (Actually I did until I went home for the Summer and she loved that fish - Frank the fish.). So it remained in it's safe environment.

Guinea pigs are awesome they are Tribbles. Genuinely. Just open the veggie drawer in the fridge and they'll prove it to you!

Awww. Frank the Fish. You know, people don’t realize they can live a long time, with proper care.

You should see them with apple peelings, they get into a tug of war over them. Tooo cute.

I used to keep guinea pigs in the 1970s..had 5-6 in a large two-level homemade indoor cage, with ramps and tunnels, covered in a layer of fresh hay.

I had a golden Peruvian that was so beautiful it didn't look real, abbyssinians, short hairs, etc. The sows would have four pups at a time and I'd sell the extra ones. They were so gentle and sweet, squeaking and begging when they heard me open the fridge. We'd let the babies run down our sleeves and snuggle with us.

I had guinea pigs as pets while growing up in Haiti as well.

@Annaleda He was laid to rest at the base of a Rose of Sharon - and buried in a cotton filled - empty kitchen match box. I kid you not.

Sweet. @RavenCT

LOL yes you must! and life span of a guinea pig can't be too long,,, enjoy. My nephew adopted 2 neglected ones and he just loves them, I don't think they live all that long..

I actually am really enjoying them, they are flipping cute as can be! I actually will be sad when they die, but probably won’t replace them with another pair.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.