Agnostic.com

18 3

What is a common misconception people have that is completely untrue?

The story of Thanksgiving was on my mind. The Thanksgiving feast was taught to me when I was in school and later I learned it was a complete lie.

What other misconceptions can you think of that people commonly believe to be true?

silvereyes 8 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That alligators are dumb, and always hungry .

I am increasingly disturbed by the notion that it is ok for the religious to believe in their gods and doctrine. Something I believed for a long time. This passive stance on what amounts to a hereditary delusion should be actively combated. I don't mean that anyone should be persecuted because of their beliefs, but that it is not ok to "agree to disagree" any longer. I feel that religious belief is the #1 cause of the world's ills. In most cases not even 'faith', but the perception, or deception of righteousness, the rationalizations provided by scripture in all faith traditions. All mystical and spiritual excuses for humanity's rotten behavior should be brought into the bright lights for thorough examination, so they can be left to wither and die.

that butter needs to be refrigerated
that you can catch cold by being cold

Their actions have no consequences.

I'm not sure how common this misconception is, but I was recently accused of being a Satanist because I'm an atheist. It took some doing to explain that for the same reason I don't believe there's a god, I also don't believe there's a devil.

I have never believed in the Devil either. I think our Free Will is our Hell. We are governed by our choices and our truth.

That there is a god, or are gods.

Here in Australia, a great majority of people still think that the country was "discovered" by Captain James Cook, when in fact it had been continuously inhabited for at least 40,000 years by the Aborigines.

that their opinions matter

In my opinion when faced with bodily harm people are stronger mentally and physically than they think they are.

SamL Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

That humans are in any way special. Check yoself, bitches. You're just sacks of chemicals and energy. Morality, meaning, purpose, souls, love, "intrinsic value". Even the most secular renditions of these concepts are nothing more than abstractions to puff ourselves up. All of these words are just the hype. You're the most intelligent monkeys in a pale blue dot - and that's it. Always remind yourself of that.

That nicotine is dangerous to health.

andygee replied:0
@twshield I must defer to your greater experience. I'm writing this as a vaper. I followed an early action by the FDA against a Chinese E-Cig company and also the New York City Council vote to ban e-cigs in indoor public spaces. The basic argument was that nicotine is not harmful (in fact, it is a vitamin B3 analog) except for it being addictive. But being addictive makes makes it dangerous.

that there are still many things in the world that can't be explained by science, because they can all be explained, it just needs some one to take the time to look into it. people like Randy the Magnificent.

One that comes to mind is the myth that everyone believed the earth was flat when Christopher Columbus sailed across the Atlantic Ocean and that he proved the earth is round. That meme just won't die.

That not believing in god means I worship the devil (also something I do not believe in.)

That water goes down the plug hole clockwise in the northern hemisphere and anti-clockwise in the southern.

DOH!! It's not true??? WAH!!! Okay just kidding about the crying part 😛

I'm from the south and my water spirals counterclockwise. Is that the same as anti-clockwise? Northern hemisphere, southern state.

The Sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening.

Oh come on. It does at my house.

There IS a god (or an Easter bunny, Santa Claus, tooth fairy, or some other make believe person(?))

Many people automatically assume that if a person is a devout worshiper that they are a good person.
I think most of us here know that's not true.

@davtim68 In reverse though. Many automatically assume the worst of us.

There are good and bad folks in every group.

@bingst and it may not be that they're bad but smart ass, sarcastic assholes who think they're funny or are trying to be funny but they're really just being assholes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3071
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.