Agnostic.com

24 6

Atheism: Do you tell co-workers?

I used to keep my atheism to myself, including on social media, because I feared it would cause problems with co-workers and my job. Now, I selectively share with people I've gotten to know (or who have disclosed their beliefs). How do you handle talking atheism in the workplace?

RoadGoddess 7 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My co-workers know that I'm not a believer. Every once in awhile it's a topic that comes up. It's not something I offer up for conversation at random times, but I work at a Catholic hospital, so I can't really avoid the spirituality conversation forever. One of my co-workers seems rather surprised that I don't have religious convictions, probably because I'm a good person. It always amuses me that religious people seem to think they have a monopoly on goodness.

Oh yes the wonderment of " then how do you have a mral compass? " my answer " just don't be a dick ". Works for me....... lol

Hope I didn't offend with the "D" word........lol

I work in a similar environment of 'faith'. At times it's a great place people place and at times I cannot believe how delusional these people can be...

If you think there could be negative repercussions from telling co-workers then I wouldn't do it.
Even if it's just a slight chance it could cause you problems, better to be safe than sorry.

Pretty much the same as you. I’ve told 2 people and found out one of them was atheist also. That was a pleasant surprise. I still don’t think I will ever tell the others as I too worry about the repercussions. I know there shouldn’t be any but I have to be realistic. Pretty sad I have to think this way.

Yes if my boss knew I'd be on the chopping block for sure. He has prayer before company luncheons. I never attended because of that. Such actions ruin my appetite.

I only tell people if they ask. I see no reason to lie to them. But I generally don't talk about it unless asked. It's irrelevant to the work. When I was younger, some of the other workers my age made a big deal about it. One guy quit because he didn't want to work with me. But now I find that people typically don't care.

Got tired of all the " thoughts & prayers " just started telling everyone, if it came close to a topic I could fit it in. Really weeded out the people who liked me for me, not because they assumed I thought like they did.

Check out Anthony Jeselnik's Thoughts & Prayers" on Netflix! Not for the faint-hearted!!

I like him .Enjoyed his show on Comedy Central. Didn't last long, but way too funny. Thanks.

I usually attempt to not discuss religion or politics with my co-workers. There's a select few that I have told but only after becoming friends. It does become difficult at times because I work with very religious people and they talk about their beliefs ALOT. I often have to walk away to keep out of the discussion.

Walking away is good. I left a couple of jobs because I was forced to sit right next to aggressive, rude fundies. Walking away was not an option. Managers and HR were not supportive. I had to resign. When I was young and very poor, I actually told outright lies and put on the right act, as I feared getting fired and becoming homeless. It was awful.

Generallyno. I generally simply do not talk about religion.

I rarely discuss spiritual beliefs with people I work with. I think what I think and they can have their view point . Just don't try to convince me of something. It has little to do with my job anyway

I teach at a university, so it's not a big controversy to be an atheist here. Most of us are.

Dylan Level 5 Nov 8, 2017

I make no bones about my attitude in this respect. I don't shout it from the rooftops, but neither do I hide my position.

If it comes up in conversation because I'm not going to lie about something that I feel is trivial.

I don't go out of my way to say anything, but when asked I give a candid answer. I don't worry myself with possible repercussions; religious affiliation or lack thereof can't be used in NY as a condition of employment (except for religious organizations).

Hi @silvereyes. New York is a fairly progressive state overall, but I live in the meaty northern section where cows outnumber people two-to-one (seriously) and there's a definite conservative mindset in this area. So, it wouldn't be beyond possibility that a company would discriminate based on religion, but for whatever reason I don't hear about it happening.

I am open about it and nobody seems to care. Had a few tell me they kinda feel that way but don't want to admit it. I am sure there have been some who held it against me but that is not surprising given the hypocritical nature of some religious people. The worst are the right wing fundamentalists, they can't possibly be wrong!!

MattW Level 6 Dec 13, 2017

I actually don't bring it up. I teach in an urban school district where most other people mention god, praying, or going to church. It's not that I worry about fitting in; I think of myself as a person with empathy and good intentions-but I just don't want them to feel judged by me. Also being the only vegan in the building already sets me apart.

I see no point in announcing religious or non-religous leanings. If I'm asked, I answer honestly. If they don"'t likes my answer, I tell them they're free to change the topic.

I feel the same way and even then majority of people still want to argue with you

The most fun is to immediately concede they're right LOL
They really have no choice at that point than to change the subject or walk away.

I think you are doing it in a smart way. It's a case by case basis. You know the old mantra 'never discuss religion or politics' in the office!

Gary Level 4 Nov 8, 2017

I don't make it a secret. However, generally when I am working, I work and most conversation is about the work.

If someone tries to tell me about their religion, I tell them i was not really happy until I left all organized religion behind me. That almost always stops them from trying to convert me.

If the subject comes up, I'll not shy away from it.

When i worked in a company, I never talked about atheism and I seldom heard religion as a topic. I think I must have worked too far down the ladder. But yes, I could see it causing problems pretty much anywhere you worked (in the U.S.). If I had talked about it, I would have been very selective in whom I told.

If anyone asks, I readily admit it. Of course, I also wear "atheist" t-shirts often enough. That & my "atheist atom" tat on my right forearm sort of gives things away! I won't mention anything, tho, unless someone else does first, & in that case I will be honest, but my "forthrightness" may be tempered depending on where I am & the situation.

I have worked in a liberal office since 1990 and I have come out atheist to a few co-workers. Some employees are church people, some are not. The topic does not come up very often. Back in the 70's and 80's I had a couple of jobs working with religious fanatics who were aggressive and judgmental. I actually lied and put on the right act, fearing I would lose my job if I was honest. That was back in my days of poverty and fearing I could not pay rent if I lost a job without another job lined up. Today, I think there is more of a raised public consciousness about preaching on the job.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 18, 2017

As an HR professional, it's common knowledge to never discuss these 3 topics on the job:
Sex
Politics
Religion

That is best, to avoid hot topics. In my office - a liberal social service agency - people sometimes talk politics, but the usually speak very quietly or they talk during breaks or when they have coffee after work. Some people, on rare occasions, mention religious beliefs, but again, are quiet about it and keep it brief. People feel free to wear jewelry like a cross or a Star of David and Muslim women often wear a scarf. But usually people chat about safe topics.

I have no faith (pun intended) that I'd be able to make them understand my long and sometimes painful journey. I don't bring it up, but I generally just lie. Hypocrisy is often the best policy.

I had told to anyone that cared to ask. I had a relationship with a serious christian science for about 7, 8 years... since we broke up about 8 years ago we still best friends, as a matter of fact going on Friend-Date tomorrow night... (she knows what buttons to pull)... Is a Dance Thing, I had been atheist for way too long... maybe half a century at lease. I don't try to embarrass any religious person... I don't carry a war against religion... I will go to weddings in church if I have to. I am just relax about it. Let them know you a bit, that helps a lot when they can see you are still human just like they are. We know you are Not Wrong even if they Don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3073
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.