Agnostic.com

14 1

Do you like Blackadder?

I fully appreciate that the vast majority of members are from the U.S. but have you heard of and/or like the UK TV series Blackadder?

• 27 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 7 votes
#BBC
ipdg77 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love British comedy!

To paraphrase Blackadder : “I feel like a pelican, no matter which way I turn I’ve got an enormous bill in front of me” and to take care of that “I’ve got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel” on it only my life wasn’t “strewn with cow pats from the devil’s own satanic herd”

First series is OK but really gets going when Ben Elton takes over writing from Rowan Atkinson in series 2. The 3rd series is the funniest by far. The last series set in WW1 is a bit po faced for me and I hated the ending.

I loved it..would come home from the clubs or pubs just watch it..damn I miss shows like that..and the BBC Hitchhikers Guide was pissah too..

I grew up on Black Adder. Who else was good enough to model my life upon?

That wonderful mixture of funny but, at times, very 'significant' in its themes.

The final scene of the forth (WW1) series when they go 'over the top' is utterly heartbreaking.

I watched the entirety of Blackadder Goes Forth today.

The Thin Blue Line was good as well.

Voted "Yes, I love it." I need to qualify that a little.

Blackadder II was my favourite. The humour and character dynamics were just right. Blackadder III was a very close second, but focused a little too much on the central trio, I felt. Both damned funny though.

Blackadder IV was good in parts. Some great humour in there, as ever. But it was starting to commit the cardinal sin of falling back on 'in jokes' and recurring characters. The whole 'Darling' thing done to death, and the clever, snappy similes had turned into long, drawn out torturous things ("More cunning than a cunning thing that's done a degree in being cunning and just come back from a fortnight in Cunningland with a suitcase full of cunning." )

The first series, I don't really consider the same show. It was almost entirely situational humour, with very few funny lines. I think (I'm not going to check) this was Richard Curtis writing alone. Ben Elton co-authoring in the later series and adding more wit to the dialogue. The latter was a better balance.

Blackadder's Christmas Carol is a cringeworthy pile of horse manure. It is to Blackadder what 'Back to Earth' was to Red Dwarf.

Agreed 100%. I wasn't a fan of any of the series, but II was by far the best - on occasions, even quite funny, and it had some superb characters.

That was a great show. Thanks for the reminder.

I liked the one set in WWI the best. The Victorian version was good (Hugh Laurie was a hoot in that one.) The one in Elizabethian times was very good.

Georgian, not Victorian.

Brilliant comedy

I fully accept that, since absolutely everyone else agrees it's one of the best things ever created, I must be wrong; however, I never liked it.

(Same goes for Only Fools And Horses, Some Mothers Do 'Ave Them, Spike Milligan, Billy Connolly and The Goodies.)

Jnei Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

Do you just have no sense of humour?

Well Some Mothers Do 'Ave Them made me cringe but still a Blackadder fan.

@JosephHarrison The list of comedy I do like is much longer! 🙂

Jeepers, this should overshadow Mr. Bean by a longshot but alas. Of course anything with Brian Blessed has my attention.

Mr. Bean was awful. Blessed, meanwhile, is a national treasure!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30773
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.