Agnostic.com

11 16

Today's hike: Warm sunshine and new snow

In brilliant sunshine, today Karen and I had fun hiking above Squilchuck State Park. Since the trail was packed down by fat-tire bicycles, we used micro-spikes instead of snowshoes. We started on the shady side of the park.

After yesterday's snowstorm, temperatures rose to 42 degrees today.

"Today is the first time this winter that we have been warm during lunch," Karen said. We luxuriated in the sun, sipping tea and sharing treats.

Ice balls and thick snow were sliding off trees in the woods. I got clobbered. With heavy snow and warm temperatures, Washington will be hit with floods, avalanches and landslides.

I removed my gloves to take photos of Karen with her phone.

After yesterday's steep hike, it felt good to get lactic acid out of my legs. The quickest way to get lactic acid out of muscles is to move them the same way. Drink lots of water.

Today was easy: four miles with just 500 feet of elevation gain. We had a marvelous time.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm glad you had a good time on your hike. I like all the pics you posted on here.

Love those photos. Keep them coming.

Beautiful pictures, but I'll have to live vicariously through your posts cuz I would not be able to keep up with you! Lol

@Redheadedgammy

Thank you so much.

I never know how to dress while hiking in winter.

"How should I dress for exercise in cold weather with heavy sweating?" I asked. Bill, a medical doctor, replied:

"Small exothermic ectomorphs such as yourself (has anybody ever said something this sexy to your before LOL) and to a much lesser degree me, just do poorly in this weather.

"To stay warm is not rocket science, but to stay warm without becoming a soaking wet mess which then freezes is the tricky part.

If it raining or snowing or very cold, I don't think there is any good answer, other than to stay at home, play your flute, listen to Bach, and maybe have me come over to give you intellectual stimulation 🙂 "

@ToolGuy

My pack is heavier because I carry an extra jacket, shirt, hat, vest and mittens. When wicking fabric is soaked, it no longer works.

During winter hiking, I dread changing into dry clothes (upper body) in icy wind, snow or sleet. Must steel myself. My core temperature plummets when I bare wet skin in cold wind. That's why I carry two down jackets and a down comforter in winter.

I learned that zipping a jacket over a wet shirt results in hypothermia.

Loved the photos! Especially since that will never be a hike that I take!

Wow you are strong and skillful, being able to pull that tree over and keep the snow purchased. Wow. Like the pictures as always, Thanks.

@dalefvictor

Silly man, I'm not that strong. It's just a branch.

Wenatchee had record-breaking snow in February, 2019. Seattle did, too. Worried about flooding, avalanches and landslides, especially in Seattle.

Thanks for your compliment on my photos.

Sounds like my kind of hike.

I guess their god is a vengeful god, getting revenge on everyone

@AmmaRE007

What do you mean? Are you replying to @Grumpy below?

@LiterateHiker yes, I thought i clicked on grumpys reply...sorry.. and.. your pictures are beautiful! .. fresh snow, packed snow.. it sounds fun.

@AmmaRE007

Thank you for explaining. I appreciate your compliment on my photos.

It doesn't matter how high you climb or where you go. A memorable time can be had anywhere with anyone. Enjoy that northeast spring for me!

Beautiful photos! Almost makes me miss living over there.

I want to move to Washington! Gorgeous! 🙂

@Bendog From your photos, and from my own visits, I'd say that Washington is more beautiful than Tennessee. Also, I would like to get away from the rednecks.

@BestWithoutGods There is a PBS series called "Nick on the Rocks" [pbs.org] Every video is only a few minutes but it shows some amazing things about this state. It has more geographic diversity than any other state. Watch a couple of videos.

@Bendog

Personal attacks are against Agnostic.com community guidelines.

@Bendog Sorry if you found my joke offensive. It was only a play on the words "walk" and "wok." I am not by any stretch of the imagination prejudiced against Asians.

@Bendog Also, I have edited the joke by removing the word "Asian." Anyone from any place can use a wok to wok a dog. Again, I apologize for any offence. No offence was intended.

@Bendog Some of us disagree with others but we try to keep it civil (name calling is not civil). When we were in Viet Nam we saw several signs advertising not only dogs but cats as well on the menu. In fact we saw that if it moved it was fair food. Maybe because we here in the west have different food sources and culture we are shocked at eating certain animals (dogs, cats, horses). This doesn't make us brainless. I am mostly a vegan and don't eat any animal so all carnivores bother me. It is not just a cultural thing but, for many of us, an environmental and personal health issue.

@JackPedigo I am also vegetarian. I can't stand the thought of eating the corpse of a fellow animal.

I met someone in the local shop today who told me that the weather in America was caused by God as punishment for defying Trump. The conversation was ended fairly abruptly.

IF there was a god, can't we all agree that tRump IS our punishment?? Although I'm still not sure what we did to deserve him....

@Bendog
Like this?

Must have been doing something right today ..having worked in the woods along the Blue Ridge Parkway - the weather was perfect! ...we even bad mouthed trump - would have ‘defied him’ if given half the chance 😀

Call the bomb squad. That there's some weapons grade stupid.

Lot of mixed up people in this country!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:310013
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.