61 9

If religion never existed... (finish the line)

Finish the line: If religion never existed...

Here is mine: all businesses would be open on Sunday.

By silvereyes
Favorite
Please or register to see comments
61 comments

Humanity would be at least a thousand years more advanced.

Offworlder54 Level 4 Nov 9, 2017

I wouldnt be a "bad person"

AlexusSiren Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

Civilization may have progressed faster technologically than we did.

SteveB Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

The poor would have money in their pockets to buy something to eat. There would be no shame. More people would spend more time living instead of fearing death.

SamL Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

We'd have one less reason to kill each other.

JakeGronie Level 4 Nov 8, 2017

We'd have to find other sources of irrational beliefs and unreasoning hatred.

Hellbent Level 6 Nov 8, 2017

Applauds
So true!

More people would believe and support science

twshield Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

Except that science doesn't involve belief. But maybe they would be more inclined to believe SCIENTISTS.

If religion never existed, we would be a super futuristic society now due to there being a lack of the Middle Ages.

ErichZannIII Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

It's possible.

@TheRealist1333: Well it's all hypothetical, but... religion does like to get in the way of science. The more we know about science, the less plausible their belief system becomes. We may be more advanced if not for that. Who can say?

@silvereyes some religions like Cathari in middle age Spain encouraged science and it's teachings urged seeking "God" in science and knowledge (Gnostic), of course the Catholic church had to send a crusade to deal with the threat properly!

... I wouldn't be who I am.

AstralSmoke Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

ooooohhhhh good point!

… I wouldn't have felt so guilty as a teenager masturbating Sunday mornings before church.

resserts Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

At least you didn't do it in th bathroom at church... or have fun with the ladies at church in the church (well, an empty classroom, lockins, the woods out back, etc.). If there's a Hell and you're headed there, I'm definitely going to be there.

I wouldn't have had to join a website specifically geared towards people who don't believe in order to find someone I may actually have a chance at being with longer than a year.

AndrewM Level 4 Nov 10, 2017

Nice point!

The world would be a far better place...

PhilipWadsworth Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

The world, as a whole, would be 1500 years more advanced in science.

Notlost Level 2 Nov 9, 2017

Ahhh chick-fil-a nuggets would be available on Sundays for my whining spawn ????

CharlaMarie1296 Level 2 Nov 8, 2017

"...the world would live as one"?

A great sentiment but I find it improbable. Humans, among their many varied traits, can be altruistic through nihilistic; not only as a race but exhibited by most individuals, often within a span of minutes.

I'd like to think we'd be kinder to each other and the environment. Also that we'd strive for greater understanding and achievements.

Sadly, if we didn't have religion to wage war over I'm sure we'd find something else. Like power. Wealth. Oil. The true "holiest of holies".

DangerDave Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

Humankind would probably have reached the stars by now.

Squirrellglider Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

If religion never existed ... nasty people would have to declare their real intentions when they wage war, discriminate and treat others inhumanely.

DeeTee Level 6 Nov 8, 2017

No... they'd find something else to mask their intentions...sadly...

Edited

...reality would be so much clearer to everyone and science would have advanced by a huge amount.

GothRik Level 6 Nov 8, 2017

TheRealist asks 'What actually is reality?' Oh the irony lol smile001.gif

We would be 2000 years ahead of ourselves in scientific inquiry and creating an equitable social environment in which all might thrive.

GareBear517 Level 7 Nov 14, 2017

there would be fewer wars

GeorgeSamuels Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

we'd still find something to complain about

Sarcasm Level 6 Nov 8, 2017

lol... true

humanity would never have made any advances, as before science, the men in silly hats helped focus our collective energies for the greater good. Now science has taken over hopefully it will operate for the greater good rather than stone cold logic [in which it could see the lack of use for homo sapiens on earth]

markdevenish Level 6 Nov 8, 2017

we would have gone to the moon 1500 years sooner

MichaelSpinler Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

I would have found you! smile001.gif

atheist Level 8 Nov 8, 2017

Humans would continue to drum up unevidenced ideas and present them as fact unless our education system prioritized the sciences, logic and reason.

AMGT Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

This is great ... I wish this would fit on a bumper sticker....

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!