44 10

If religion never existed... (finish the line)

Finish the line: If religion never existed...

Here is mine:
all businesses would be open on Sunday.

By silvereyes
Favorite
Please or register to see comments
44 comments

I don't think we would have survived as long as we have as a species. Evolution is a machine that throws the old models in the trash and constantly searches for new variations. It landed on very intelligent monkey, so smart it became aware of it's own mortality, and it was terrified by it because it had the drive to survive and protect it's young, just like every other organism that came before. In order for it to function it had to take it's eyes off it's terror and go hunt and gather food. So some especially clever monkeys constructed a tool they could sell and fill that void. We call it religion. And I stand by the conclusion that we couldn't have survived without it, the truth remains that now it's a cancer that is killing us. We are a failed experiment, and the sad thing is that evolution is a random tool, not very efficient. So the next time it lands on something like us, the sun may be going cold.

splittingzero Level 4 Nov 17, 2017

Bam! It'd be like living in the Star Trek Universe.

hrichardson8 Level 2 Nov 14, 2017

We would be 2000 years ahead of ourselves in scientific inquiry and creating an equitable social environment in which all might thrive.

GareBear517 Level 6 Nov 14, 2017

Well, isn't that a pretty simple question... maybe not.

We know that Religion, definitely not Christianity, was the hub of activity in the first known settlements of people. Perhaps they got together for trade or other reasons but religion left a mark. It left buildings, statues and monuments. They built temples and people came from great distances (for the time) to visit these religious settlements. One could be said that religion was a driver for social activity in early mankind. What would have happened if it didn't occur? We might have developed civilization very differently. Was it religion that inspired war? Probably not. We are too aggressive by our own nature and war is part of a tribal survival technique. We surely would have different reasons for war. Perhaps, we would still be fighting tribal wars where we only would side with our own tribe. Never finding common ground outside of our tribe that religion could give us.

Maybe we're nearly at the same point but we got here differently. At first, developing slowly because of our diversity but without the chains of religion we grow exponentially. War slowly getting eliminated and in order to provide security we group together. No Dark Ages. Logic providing a basis for fighting famine and plague. We might be in a better position to move forward but essentially at the same place.

CK-One Level 3 Nov 14, 2017
Ah, I love the deep thinking at work. Yes, it would have changed a lot for us across the board. I'm sure we'd have fought over other things as well. I'm not sure we'd be at the same point... I think things would be very different. This is a book in the making, I tell ya!

I wouldn't have had to join a website specifically geared towards people who don't believe in order to find someone I may actually have a chance at being with longer than a year.

AndrewM Level 3 Nov 10, 2017
Nice point!

...our world would look the same as it does now. It wouldn't be some grand utopia, nor would it be some chaotic dystopia. It'd just be full of people stumbling through life trying to get by, same as it is now.

ShadowRaptor Level 3 Nov 10, 2017

Women would be in charge! LOL

KayYael Level 2 Nov 10, 2017

If religion never existed, it would be because humans had no imagination. What a sad world that would be. But then there would be no Westboro Baptist Church.

ThomasMeador Level 7 Nov 10, 2017

there would be fewer wars

GeorgeSamuels Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

Humanity would be at least a thousand years more advanced.

Offworlder54 Level 3 Nov 9, 2017

The world would be a far better place...

PhilipWadsworth Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

there wouldn't be anyway to control people~

Scooter Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

I wouldnt be a "bad person"

AlexusSiren Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

The world, as a whole, would be 1500 years more advanced in science.

Notlost Level 1 Nov 9, 2017

who would own all the prime real estate around the world?

Maya405 Level 5 Nov 8, 2017
Oprah???
LOL
Silvereyes ---

Ahhh chick-fil-a nuggets would be available on Sundays for my whining spawn ????

CharlaMarie1296 Level 2 Nov 8, 2017

"...the world would live as one"?

A great sentiment but I find it improbable. Humans, among their many varied traits, can be altruistic through nihilistic; not only as a race but exhibited by most individuals, often within a span of minutes.

I'd like to think we'd be kinder to each other and the environment. Also that we'd strive for greater understanding and achievements.

Sadly, if we didn't have religion to wage war over I'm sure we'd find something else. Like power. Wealth. Oil. The true "holiest of holies".

DangerDave Level 5 Nov 8, 2017

we'd still find something to complain about

Sarcasm Level 6 Nov 8, 2017

governments wouldn't be so fucked up.

mt49er Level 5 Nov 8, 2017

humanity would never have made any advances, as before science, the men in silly hats helped focus our collective energies for the greater good. Now science has taken over hopefully it will operate for the greater good rather than stone cold logic [in which it could see the lack of use for homo sapiens on earth]

markdevenish Level 5 Nov 8, 2017

we would have gone to the moon 1500 years sooner

MichaelSpinler Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

Humankind would probably have reached the stars by now.

Squirrellglider Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

I would have found you!

atheist Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

... I wouldn't be who I am.

Edward59 Level 6 Nov 8, 2017
ooooohhhhh good point!

If religion never existed ... nasty people would have to declare their real intentions when they wage war, discriminate and treat others inhumanely.

DeeTee Level 5 Nov 8, 2017
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit organization promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion