Agnostic.com

48 11

Suicide- thoughts?

What is your first response upon hearing someone has attempted suicide or is contemplating suicide?

Do you think "they need help" or "they just want attention"??

I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and PTSD and a shit ton of other issues if you've seen the list I posted a few days back.

On another thread, a troll accused me of being a narcissistic attention whore by admitting to the 20+ suicide attempts in my 37 years.

Currently recovering from one.

There have only been three major attempts I.e. hospitalization required.

The first, I was 15 years old. My sister (two years older) and I got into a fight. Our mom sent me to stay with my brother (eight years older) and his wife.

My mom had just filled my prescriptions in preparation for the three week visit.

One day, I became extremely depressed. My brother had barked at me about something. There was some stressor in his life and I happened to be there when he vented it out. I thought I was at fault.

That afternoon, he and his wife left for some time, can't remember why. I decided I was no longer worthy of life. My prescriptions were Clonidine, Zoloft and Ambien. There were about 236 pills total. I took all of them.

That was at 4:30 pm. They returned home, thought I was sleeping and let me be. They didn't discover what I'd done until 7:30 pm, my scheduled dosage.

My brother's wife thought she had medical knowledge because she was an aide in a nursing home.

She told my brother to strip me to my skivvies and stick me in a tub of ice.

The pills weren't what almost killed me. It was the pneumonia from the immersion in ice.

They did not call my mother or 911 until noon the next day.

I had an extended stay in the hospital and psych ward.

The next major attempt was 2006. I was 25. My mom had passed away in 2004 and I was living with family friends, like my second parents.

I'd attended the fall of 2005 and spring of 2006 semester's of junior college but was very scared I couldn't hack it during the summer semester since it goes by much faster (a matter of weeks compared to a few months in a regular semester) and the hours for the class go from one hour in length to four. So, I decided to take the summer (two months) off. But, that meant no employment because I'd been doing work study.

My "dad" and "mom" were on the verge of retirement, from Lockheed Martin and a school teacher, respectively.

My dad was terrified they wouldn't be able to support three people for two months until school started again. He gave me an ultimatum- get a job or move out. I did everything I could to find employment, including, but not limited to, walking fifteen miles from their house to downtown, putting in applications along the way. I was unsuccessful.

I didn't want to move out because I had nowhere to go and knew I would be homeless. I'd previously dated someone who'd been homeless during our relationship. I knew what that life was like and did not want to be homeless.

So, started planning my suicide. Wal-Mart, Walgreens and CVS for two bottles (the purchase limit) of Tylenol Simply Sleep from each.

I drafted an email specific to everyone I knew, not a generalized one for the masses.

I continued to attend classes and take final exams and go to work at my work study job in the provost's office.

My cover story was I was moving to Houston to be with someone I'd met online.

On May 31, 2006, around midnight, I began popping handfuls of pills in-between trips to my mom's bedroom to use her computer to send the previously drafted emails.

Email's all done, I took some more pills and got in bed. It's estimated I got 50 to 100 pills in me (I'd had a bowl of 600).

My "mom" found me when she returned home from work the next afternoon. She'd thought I'd left for Houston while she was at work so went to the bedroom to see if I'd left it in disarray and found me.

I was taken to John Peter Smith (JPS) Hospital, the county hospital here in Fort Worth, Texas. Spent a couple days being treated after having my stomach pumped. Once I was medically cleared, I was transferred to the tenth floor psych ward, which is nothing but five leather recliners and about twenty table chairs in a big open space with a TV mounted on the wall, for the obligatory three day stint.

While on the tenth floor, I formed blisters all over my body (I was later told it was an allergic reaction to the OD).

The biggest blister was the size of half a golf ball at the base of the right thumb. There's nothing to do on the psych ward and I have an obsession with popping things. So, I popped the blisters and pulled the skin off.

Ended up being transferred to a treatment floor for infection. Cellulitis. Which led to nerve, bone and muscle damage.

My thumb is perpendicular to my palm. Even the doctor's don't know what this is or how it happened. I'm a medical anomaly. But, that's another discussion.

I spent a month in the hospital. When I was released, I became homeless anyway. From July 1, 2006 - March 7, 2009.

The next attempt was this past Christmas Eve.

I had the second surgery to the aforementioned hand on October 9, 2017 and had to go on medical leave. Couldn't receive FMLA because I was hired May 20, 2017. Two weeks after my surgery was my six months. You're not eligible for employee benefits until your sixth consecutive month of employment. But, can't actually apply until your eighth month.

I work in an Albertsons grocery store.

I returned to work Wednesday, December 20th and the following Saturday I.e. Christmas Eve Eve.

That Friday night, I knew there was no reason for me to live. Nothing left to live for, except my cat, Smokey. I have no family and no friends. No life. Work. Sleep. Smokey. Facebook. That's it.

Saturday morning, I sat on the couch sobbing for an hour because I didn't want to leave Smokey alone. Then, I went to work.

The whole day, the only thing on my mind was what I would do once I got home. Continued to greet customer's and pretend to be cheerful and hyper. But, inside, I felt nothing but deep, deep sadness. Nothingness.

Off work at 7 pm. Caught bus. Home by 7:30.

I was honestly too tired to write the note. I reset the alarm clock for an hour earlier than normal and went to bed.

Woke up at 6 am Christmas Eve morning, made my coffee and wrote my note while drinking the coffee. Hooked the note to a random picture nail so Smokey wouldn't tear it up.

Changed my voicemail greeting to "This is Melissa Bates. I'm sorry I missed your call. If you're receiving this message, I'm already dead. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year." Then, unlocked the door. I did both things specifically so Smokey would be found and not starve.

I underwent eight surgeries in the year 2017 so I was quite blessed with a veritable pharmacy.

After I finished all the prep work, I sat down at the kitchen table and took a whole bottle of amitriptyline (a sleep aid), Tylenol 3's, Hydrocodone, Trazodone with an Ondansetron (anti-nausea dissolvable pill) chaser.

All totaled, an estimated 150 pills.

That was at 7 am. I went to bed.

I'd been scheduled to work that day. Was supposed to be there at 11:45.

An hour after I didn't show up, my store director became concerned because I'm always an hour early due to the bus.

She attempted to call me and left a voicemail but my greeting didn't register in her head.

She went back to work, got busy. Couple hours went by. Called again and finally "heard" the voicemail greeting. Called several more times.

Then, called 911 to request a welfare check. They said they'd call her with their findings.

Went back to work. Got busy. Few more hours passed. Realized she hadn't heard back from the cops.

Called again. They told her the welfare check was in the queue, on the to-do list. She laid into them about my possible suicide.

They said they'd call her back.

Back to work. Got busy. Several more hours. 7:45, they called and reported their findings.

She's unsure when they found me compared to when they called her but probably within the hour. Still..... twelve hours after the attempt. My heart had stopped. They had to perform CPR. I was almost there.....

I went into the hospital for a few days for stomach pumping and treating pneumonia, again, then transferred to Trinity Springs Pavilion (TSP), the county hospital's in-house psychiatric treatment facility, different from the aforementioned tenth floor.

My Major Depressive Disorder is so pervasive that, even when I'm working, I've always got "those" thoughts floating around in the back of my head. Or, as my counselor says, they're knocking on the door but I haven't opened the door and invited them in for tea.

Everyone, myself included, thinks I need more intensive treatment, such as a thirty day in-patient treatment facility. But, I need to pay bills. My electricity was off the day I came home from treatment (January 4th).

I found this site and mydisabilitymatters.com seeking a social outlet and support network.

As I said at the beginning, there have been about twenty or so attempts but they only resulted in a lot of vomiting or sleeping through a college class. No one ever knew.

So, again, I ask, what is your first response when you hear about this? Have you ever been personally affected by suicide?

And, before you ask, I'm okay. I'm "surviving" more than anything. I'm getting help via MHMR (Mental Health Mental Retardation here in Texas). I've got a shrink I see once a month. A counselor I see every Thursday. And, a team of caseworkers who check on me daily.

Since my modus operandi is poison and pills, my caseworker had my mom confiscate my bottles of Aleve, Tylenol and Ibuprofen this past Tuesday. She (the caseworker) threatened me with another hospital admission if I didn't.

When I was in TSP, they changed my meds. MHMR pays for those two scripts (there are numerous others but they're not psych meds so, not covered.) I was signed up for delivery for the past two months. But, at last Wednesday's shrink appointment, my caseworker and shrink agreed it would be best to confiscate my scripts, as well. So, now, instead of the convenience of delivery, I have to go to the MHMR location I'm treated from and get two sets of weekly pill boxes prefilled with my scripts.

I returned to work this past Friday. Got a promotion and a raise. Cashier to Inventory Coordinator. My store director knows everything, obviously. She told all the managers. I've been completely open and honest with my co-workers. I want people to understand how mental illness can affect anyone. That cashier you see who's hyper, laughing, smiling, making jokes and all around "happy" may not be happy at all.

I also know that ensuring everyone knows gives me a further barrier to another attempt. If they support me and watch out for me, they'd be the first to see a change since they're the only people I ever see on a regular basis.

I still never stop thinking everyone would be better off without me burdening their lives. It'd be better if I were dead because I wouldn't suffer through the physical pain, mental pain or, even worse, having to defend myself to trolls who think I'm just throwing a pity party.

Melbates 7 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to shut down when I hear this. It hurts me so much. I have PTSD and I was so depressed throughout my childhood and early adulthood and I ended up hospitalized three times for attempted suicide. Now that I don't want to die, no even when I did, I hated the idea that others out there suffered like me. Recently I noticed my boss has scars on her arms and I just quietly cried for a long time and I make sure to let her know all the time how much I really do care about her.

It literally feels like a crushing weight when people have suffered like this.

I work in a hospital and see a lot of attempted suicides, and when I get calls of 'I want to die' I panic because while I know exactly how it feels, I have a tendency to make things worse. I don't ever want to feel that way again, and the knowledge of how it never truly goes away, simply goes into remission, terrifies me. I don't ever want to want to die again, and I don't want anyone to ever feel that way.

I hate that you suffer. I truly wish I could offer some meaningful advice or statement that would forever cure you of ever wanting to die again, but I can't. There's no magic cure all. It is a horrible, painful, life-long battle.

I don't know how or why I've stopped wanting to die. Even if I did, it's not like it'd work for everyone else. I am not stronger than anyone else, mentally or physically, yet even with my entire life being ripped away and living in constant pain I still want to live. I wish you could find that desire. I truly do.

I hate watching others suffer from it. It breaks my heart.

I am extremely empathic, as well. I'm the one who is the cheerleader for people I know who are struggling, while still suicidal in the back of my head. I've attempted to remain in contact with some of the people I met in treatment but, sadly, they shut down and won't respond to my repeated attempts to get them talking.

Unless you have had suicidal thoughts, it is difficult to understand. I have had suicidal thoughts for years, and I feel like I have finally pulled away from those thought patterns.

Medication helps, but isn't the real solution. What really helped me was cognitive behavioral training, this is a method that can help free you of negative thoughts and actions resulting from them. It is firmly based on science and has nothing to do with higher powers and all that BS.

Ask your counselor.

It's not simple or easy and it took me three years of it to make a difference in my life. I am now free of medications for depression and for the first time I can remember I am free of suicidal thoughts. That doesn't mean it's easy or I don't still feel emotional pain sometimes, but now I have better tools to take care of it.

Good luck

Yes, my counselor is a CBT counselor. Sadly, it's only for, like, eighteen sessions. But, hopefully, I'll be able to go into CPT counseling for my PTSD as soon as I finish the CBT.

Mel,
My immediate response was to tear up.
I've become more sensitive in my ... not quite as young age.
I understand that writing is therapy and that getting this out is helpful to your recovery.
Some people don't get it and there is nothing you can do about that.
They are a hindrance to your recovery and should be "removed" from your thoughts.
I often wonder what terrible things happened to these online bullies to cause them to have so much hate to spew.
Now, go coordinate some inventory, you wonerful cat woman.

LMFAO!!!

I finally gave up on the quest to impart some common sense into the woman and reported her for abuse and blocked her.

I know that life can really suck, and it can also be great. There are always good times and bad times following each other like the seasons. I could never suicide unless I was terminally ill, and even then I would hang on as long as I coudl function and be relatively pain free.
It is not at all that I fear death or being dead, but rather that life is such a rare thing, and it is all I have.

Being as alone in the world as I am, if I received a terminal diagnosis (which is in my future due to some of my medical conditions), I would become even more deeply ingrained in the thought of death. If I'm gonna die, I'd rather it be at my own hand. Let me have that one grasp of power.

@Melbates But in the mean time, take what good you can, take what enjoyment is available to you.We will all die one day, but there is very little life in the universe from what I have seen, we are amazing in that we have it. Make a list of the things you enjoy, my list often includes that 1st coffee I have in the morning, ahhh soo good. Last night I has home made coconut yoghurt, it was a simple pleasure, and it was great. There are books I want to read. It is all enjoyment. I would love to see a list of the things you enjoy, no matter how small you think they are.

@Rugglesby I'm not sure I enjoy much of anything anymore. I usually spend all my free time on my phone- Facebook, this site, the disability site I've mentioned, Best Fiends gaming app, Words with Friends. I do love to read. Have a huge personal library but just don't have the energy or desire to do it. I go through ebbs and flows. I was on a classics kick recently. Went through about seven books, I think? Then started the next and, suddenly, I was no longer interested. Not much in my life to find enjoyment in, besides Smokey. But, he gets perturbed when I get overly lovey-dovey. LOL

@Rugglesby
Well said.

As a person who has spent his enrire life going thru depression and anxiety I feel your pain. The doctors always say that a person who tells someone they are contemplating suicide is a person who really doesn't want to die. Whether that person is seeking attention or just seeking help in my humble opinion is irrelevant. It is still a cry for help, and should be taken seriously.

Personally, I believe that a person who really wants to die will find a way regardless of what anyone does. I have felt like this world might be a better place without me. But fortunately I've never really attempted. Having had a brush with death due to incompetence at the hand of a doctor, I don't think I will ever attempt. Having said that, those dark feelings that makes me want to die at times are still there and I don't believe they will ever go away.

I think that is where I get my humor from in all honesty. It's the one thing I can do that makes others laugh and in turn makes me feel a little better inside. I've learned over the years that occupying my mind with other thoughts helps to keep me on solid ground. I don't know you or what you have that can give you that same distraction, but finding that is a start. It won't stop the darkness. But it can change your outlook.

One last note. Don't worry with the trolls telling you that you are seeking attention. Those are the people who don't understand the darkness or what it can do to a person. They don't know and chances are don't care.Don't give up keep working on yourself with help from others. You aren't alone.

Having those thoughts and not acting on them sometimes feels like my brain is eating itself. I'm happy to hear you haven't followed through.

Yep, I know what you mean. Just have to take it a day at a time. @Melbates

Very very well said, Sir!!!!!!!

I truly don't know but I hope you find what it is you need to be well.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I think a lot of us are past the point of thinking its an attention thing. While I'd like to say its because of the walks and awareness campaigns, its more likely because almost all of us have either thought about it, tried it, or know someone who has. I've been there a few times recently, and my friends have started keeping an eye out for me. It's nice, I guess. There are plenty of days I feel done but I sold my handgun after a really scary night. So I guess I'm stuck trying to survive it. It's weird I guess, I spent my entire life not making plans cause I just wanted out of it. Never could do it and for the first time I have to actually try for a future.

I commend you for the wisdom to get the gun out of your life. My brother ended up dead because he had a gun in the house and a wife who was having an affair. In what was apparently a verbal showdown over the issue, he walked into the bedroom picked up the gun and shot himself. Sadly, he was probably thinking as he pulled the trigger, "THIS will show her!" I think this because on the occasions when I considered this route, it was not uncommon that I thought that very thing.

IMO: In a way, it IS an attention thing. It is a part of a person crying out for someone to pay attention to what they are going through, to care that things are not well for them, to offer them kindness and support. Maybe not the best way to express that need for help but many people are never taught how to "ask" for help or even how to recognize or accept help that is there for the taking. Desperation brings desperate action.

At 67, age (and an anti-depressant) seems to have pretty much extinguished any significant consideration of suicide for me. Perhaps it is knowing how close I am getting to the point that dying won't be by choice but I find myself thinking about things that I could do to prolong the time I have. I may have moments but now they are "fleeting" thoughts then I return to thinking of all the things I still have to do.

Don't make it easy for yourself. Getting rid of the gun was a great step. Years ago, I knew that if I killed myself, it would most likely be by drug overdose. So, I made it a point to never manage to have access to any significant amount of drugs that could kill me and I knew what od's on common OTC drugs would do. I had NO desire to cause myself some irreversible damage that would leave me living in pain while dying slowly. Not that I never considered getting those kind of drugs but when I did, it was a right now kind of want and that isn't so easy to do. Once that "urge" passed, there was no reason to follow through with getting them. So, here I am, 67 years old.

Keep your environment clear of temptation and work toward noticing the good days. When you do, you will be surprised how many weren't so bad and maybe see ways to make more of them that way. Look for things that can give you joy! I was older than you the first time I went spelunking (cave crawling) and around your age when I made my first motorcycle trip over 300 miles. The joyful moments help and if you let them they will outweigh the disappointing ones.
Oops! I only intended to commend you. That's what happens to me after midnight.

It sucks when you feel stuck in survival mode. I regularly tell people I'm not living, I'm surviving. Big difference.

@DotLewis I think society has become numb to hearing about people's depression and self-harm. Yes, there are A LOT of people who will do something then post it online claiming self-harm or suicidal thoughts. Most people don't see a difference between people of that nature and people like me who suffer the constant barrage of thoughts.

I work in youth suicide prevention. We are taught that you take every suggestion of suicide, (“invitations” to talk, attempts, etc) as serious and real. Since you have been struggling with this for many years, I hope that you continue to seek effective medication AND therapy and that you do not keep any lethal means in your home.
Most of all, I hope that when you begin to consider suicide, that you reach out and talk to someone. Every time and without waiting. Get a journal or a notebook. Every day, write down a reason you have for living. A person you love, a goal you want to reach, a child you want to see grow up, a thing that brings you joy. Every day, remind yourself that you have reasons to live. Good luck.
1-800-273-8255.

Believe it or not, you're very strong. I've lost 3 friends and nearly myself to suicide. To the severely depressed, the most dangerous thing is themselves. Hoping for better tomorrows for you! Peace. Feel free to contact me.

Thank you.

You are not a burden.

Most adults have experienced some level of suicidality. So I think most adults can handle hearing about it.

I think you've got to find something that gives you that hold on not doing it again. And that is different for everyone. (At my very worst it's my cats - I just couldn't do that to them).

I'm glad you've got meds. and someone to watch them for you - so you they aren't a constant temptation The Therapist and Pscyhiatrist are good things.
Has anyone suggested a group? Or is that what the website does? (An online supportive environment).

You know what the outcome of taking pills is. It leads to more pain - mental and physical.
I've seen people that had to be on dialysis for life from suicide attempts. Don't do that to yourself. You have enough physical trouble. I know it doesn't seem important at that moment - but if you survive - it's going to be important.

I think you would benefit from a longer term inpatient stay - is that at all possible? Would work permit it? Would someone take care of your cat?

Obviously you'd need a better hospital than one that holds you for 72 hours. I'm pretty sure your outreach workers/therapist/etc... would know more about what's available in your area. So ask them.

It sounds like some rounds of intensive therapy and making sure your meds. are the correct ones for you would be of benefit. (I also know in today's world this might be next to impossible).

Have you ever considered supported living? Has anyone brought that up as a possibility? Again if you think it could help - ask one of your professionals.

I'm just giving you more questions I know - but I hope at least one in there can help you at least a tiny bit.

To be honest, I was quite taken aback by some of the responses I received from people in my personal life. They were angry. They were mad. Most of them, I had to ask, why are you so mad when we barely know each other? That made them madder and they stopped talking to me. 😟

I have been seeking a lifeline, as it were. Just haven't found that niche yet. Again, it's my fuzzbutt. LOL I've gotten plenty of love and support from co-workers and the church I regularly attend. So, being out in the world isn't so bad. It's when I'm at home, alone, with nothing to do for hours on end. I think that's why my store director has given me the schedule I've got. Wear me down and keep me busy until I pass out. LOL

There's a peer support group every Tuesday at the location where I receive treatment. I've only been twice, though, due to schedule constraints. But, now that I'm back to work and Tuesday night's are overnights to hang new shelf tags, I don't know if I'll be able to do that and get the sleep necessary before an eleven hour shift.

And, yes, the websites are my support network. I've lived my life on Facebook since opening my account in 2009. I lost some friends due to my posts being in excess because it was the only thing I had to do for hours on end. So, I thought these two sites would be an extension of my social outlet.

I know the pills have caused damage, but, outside of loss of brain mass, I am unaware of what issues lie underneath. I see my PCP once a month to cover one item per visit on my laundry list of medical issues.

Like I said, I want the long-term in-patient treatment but it's not possible to cover bills, take care of Smokey, etc. Part of the reason I'm applying for SSDI is so I can go into long-term treatment.

Yeah, JPS isn't the best. But, it offers a discount payment program if you're below the poverty line or homeless. It's essentially the "homeless hospital." That's pretty much the only people you see there. I was glad they didn't do the obligatory three day stint on the tenth floor this time and, instead, I got to go to TSP.

The supportive living, I think they'd consider a last resort since I am currently still self-sufficient and independent.

you need both help and some attention. ive been there myself and self harmed.humans crave atention and caring

I don't do the self harm. I guess that's an upside. LOL I have agliophobia, a fear of pain. I could never take a sharp implement or gun to myself.

well that is a good thing

I self harmed - I explained it to myself as the least worst thing I could do to ease the pain inside; to make a pain outside and know that I was the one doing it, - no one else.

I self-harmed to show that I meant what I said. I even think my tattoos are constructive self-harming.

my 'NO' tatt was done with a fork over a gas flame I think I was in another dimension entirely when i did it because I didnt really feel a thing. I kept it sore and septic for a long time and then let go.

I feel your pain

See, the thing that nobody tend to understand is that life belongs to the individual (meaning the person who taking his/hers own life) People tend to rule over you even they cant or dont realize that you are facing many obstacles every FREAKING DAY! And that bothers me because l try to not let people rule over me and my life, because my life belongs to me and only me 😀

I know I will be the cause of my own death.
Maybe it's an answer to the "who's in control of my life" question.
Maybe I get tired and worn down by the suffering in the world.
I tire of the ones who give five bucks to the man begging on the corner then think how good they are by doing that.
At times I want to go live in a cave and shut out the world and all it's greed and social striation.
Ever since I was a child I have wondered what the world would be like if everyone just disappeared except myself.
I know I am broken, but I wonder if I am to broken to fix.

I'm 65 and was diagnosed with Manic Depression when I was 14. I am being treated for Type II Bi-Polar Disorder and ADD. There are other issue at play as well. and I am on a number of medication. It was hard to read through your post but when I finally read that you are receiving weekly counseling sessions I was relieved. Meds and Psychiatry are all well and good, but can only do so much for you. Where I believe you need to focus your efforts is your therapy because that is where the most valuable insights and changes will come from. If you are still handling your own medication would also suggest you allow your caseworker to control your meds and allow her to monitor your compliance to the prescribed regime and your diet. You MUST take the meds, as directed paying close attention to the timing and which ones must be taken on an empty stomach and which require they be taken with food. Otherwise you are not receiving the full benefit of your prescriptions. Your history also suggests you should not have access to more than a weeks worth of meds.

If you truly want to feel better focus on your talk therapy and consider adding group therapy to your weekly counseling. Group therapy give you a safe setting that can become a surrogate family and a safe enviornment to deal with strong feelings, positive and negative, and process them. you will find the combination of med management and talk herapy will bring positive results and provide you with strategies to deal more effectivelty with your feelings and reason for hope.

Your suicidal ideation sounds quite profound, however, the combination of drugs you detailed are capable of doing you great harm, causing serious damage to your body and mind. But are far more likely to kill you slowly and horribly leaving you helpless, miserable, dependent on unsympathetic strangers and more depressed than you can imagine. Moreover, you will eliminate any chance for improving you lot in life and incapable of ending it.

I am very grateful and amazed by so much caring and healthy vulnerability in these posts. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in my depression and there are lots of good people willing to share themselves, their thoughts and everything I've seen here. I wish so much that I had workable solutions for all of you and myself. I used to do a lot of work in personal growth and self improvement workshops and trainings. I did very well at figuring out what my problems are, but quit because I was not solving my problems, just digging deeper holes of hopelessness. Relationships have always been a very difficult struggle for me.
Finding someone I like a lot on this site helped me venture out from under the rocks I was hiding under, and I even started seeing a new Freethinker therapist a couple of weeks ago. The relationship blew up and I'm still struggling with depression, but it was nice having significant hope for a while and since I found one more wonderful person I have more hope of finding others. I hate writing, partly because I'm so slow doing it, but I think it's important for me to be vulnerable and show who I am. I hope to add inspiration and encouragement here as I find it. Best wishes to all. Mark
PS: Brené Brown has surprised me by putting into words a lot that applies to me. Here are some of her many great videos:
6 min. of deep stuff, Embracing Vulnerability

Beginning of her work, 20 min.:

I love her! And this is such a great talk.

It breaks my heart to hear your story. I'm so sorry you have had so much difficulty finding the resources to help you. I have been depressed many times in my life, only rarely has it felt suicidal. I am fortunate to have family and friends who care about me and a counseling group that has helped me get stronger emotionally and to make a lot of progress in my life. I can tell you are a person who cares deeply about others and I hope you can find a way to carry on.

In my experience, the voices in my head tell me, "You are worthless!" and "People would be better off without you!" Those voices do their best to convince me they are The Truth but they are lying! The reality is that we are all wonderful, beautiful beings who deserve love and happiness and are valuable to the world. At times, the voices can convince us they are more real than reality. I have found with enough support and practice, I can tell the voices to get lost and I can remember that I am good and deserve great things in my life. I hope you can too!

It's good to have a secure support network and I'm very happy to hear you have one. I'm trying to build mine right now.

The logical part of my brain knows the thoughts are wrong but the emotional part of my brain is still that little girl who everyone abuses for being stupid, fat and ugly. I can't even look at my face in a mirror. I look at my eyes when putting my contacts in, I look at my hair when brushing it. So, I can't even combat those thoughts with the motivational words in a mirror technique.

At my counseling session Thursday, my counselor decided to move away from changing the "I'm ugly" thinking because it's so deeply ingrained, there's nothing he could do, as a professional, to change it. I told him the only time it's ever been changed was my first, and to this day, longest, relationship, a year and three months. That relationship was constant, repeated compliments about my desirability and attractiveness. Counselor can't do that.

My mom used to call me the epitome of a contradiction. I regularly contradict myself. For example, I know I'm intelligent because I went to college and got my Associate's. BUT, I feel I'm not intelligent enough because I had to drop out due to finances and depression and didn't get my bachelor's.

It annoys my counselor to no end. He'll make me compliment myself and in the same breath, I'll insult myself. He says I'm yes, but..ing him. "Yes, that's true, but..." LOL

Now all you need to do is change, "Yes but" to "Yes and." Then you will be an expert improvisor! 😉 Seriously, there is a group of improv comedians who teach a class to people who have loved ones who have Alzheimer's or dementia. They have found that teaching them the basis of improv, which is, "Yes and" can be very beneficial in dealing with someone with those conditions. I thought it was fascinating when I heard about it.

I appreciate your response and can tell you are an intelligent, thoughtful person. I am struck by your insight into the difference between your thinking and feeling. I believe you are really onto something there. The type of counseling I am a part of (which I am not trying to promote or advocate for, at least not here) says we are not able to think and feel at the same time. We are either doing one or the other. The theory is that once we are able to discharge all of the feelings that have hurt us in the past, we will be able to think clearly and appreciate ourselves completely. I'm not there yet but it has helped me immensely.

@wowspring The improv technique does sound interesting.

Yeah, even my counselor and shrink were a little taken aback the first time I met each due to my knowledge of self. I tell people all the time, I've been to enough counselors, therapist's, shrink's and psychology classes, I know exactly how fucked up I am!! LMFAO!!

I appreciate your experiences. I believe wholeheartedly in the right to die. I've tried a few times myself, my despression is intense. But, if you can help someone, it's worth a try.
Only you can decide if your life is worth living. Fuck those trolls.
I'm glad you have a support base. Your feelings at legitimate. It's your choice, but don't tune those who love you out.
Maybe things can get better. I hope you won't give up yet.
Women are so often accused of trying to get attention. It's gross, and it's toxic patriarchy.

I'm sorry you're so we'll acquainted with this feeling.

When I hear someone say they are thinking about suicide I will talk with them. If that doesn't help I will encourage them to let me take them to the hospital.
2 years ago one of my dearest friends committed suicide. I got to his apartment just after the police did and they wouldn't let me come in. I was very distraught. After a long while they brought my friend out in a body bag. I asked where his head was so I could kiss him and tell him I loved him.
I went into a deep depression. It lasted a few months. He had written a book that was published called "Fractures" his name was Justin Schleifer. I read the book it helped me understand his mind.
It's still painful that he is gone. He was wonderful about getting me out of the house to a movie or out for coffee.
Two nights before he killed himself I spent the night with him in his bed it was just a sweet innocent sleep over. He brought me coffee in bed the next morning. I left feeling so happy about our friendship.
I liked your post. I can tell you are hurting because of the humor inserted into such a dark topic.
You remind me that people struggle everyday with such troubled minds. Mental Illness is a clever adversary. It wants to kill you at any cost.
I tried to once when I was 19. I took an overdose of a barbiturate called Seconal on top of a shitload of Vodka. I was barely alive when I was found. The doctors told my parents there was a 50/50 chance that I might survive and if I did I would more than likely have brain damage. I had pneumonia and a 105 degree temperature.
I survived. With no brain damage. Something didn't want me leaving the planet back then.
Today I don't struggle with suicidal ideation. I'm fortunate I know this.
Your journey is one only you can walk. We are all on different paths walking our walk.
I wish you strength and self compassion as you walk yours.

I also lost a friend to suicide. He completely lost the will to live. His body was falling with age. He had been homeless for two years. He laid his neck knife the rail outside of the homeless shelter as a slow moving four car train came by. Broke my heart. I asked myself why didn't he call? Because he wanted out and knew I couldn't let him. As badly as i kiss him, it was his choice and I respect it. I still couldn't have sat idle then, but now feel that way. Thank you for sharing. I have you and the OP as well as all the other folks that have shared in my thoughts. I wish you all the best.

"I still never stop thinking everyone would be better off without me burdening their lives."
The people you work for/ with apparently disagree. I disagree, too.
One of the things that helped me keep my head above water when I was learning to cope with depression was "The Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. I didn't appreciate it when it was given to me, but later it helped me start to change my beliefs and expectations about life.

I think it depends on the person. Some absolutely need help, even if it is attention. In general suicide is always about trying to get something, be it attention or understanding or a relationship or even just win an arguement, and for some who suffer guilt from something peace of mind. They all need help but what help is tied to the underlying cause and each person is different and will respond differently. Any time I hear someone try to lump them all together or say this will treat it no matter the cause I immediately know they don't know what they are talking about. Every person is different, and each issue with suicide has to be taken individually and and dealt with according to what that person needs, even if that is a hard slap and being told to grow the heck up and use your head. Its what I needed at one point and was the best course in hindsight. An ex of mine came up with a good one too when I would get depressed and/or suicidal as well despite knowing I don't believe in the bible, "ain't no sex in heaven".

Fuck me sideways. That is about the most raw confessional I have ever read.

Thank you. That is gutsy to lay it out.

My bona fides? A near miss a year ago. A boxcutter was my weapon of choice. Writing the note was incredibly confronting. What do you say? What don't you say? I got it written then waited. I don't know why I passed it up. The timing was perfect. But nonetheless I passed it up.

Yeah, once you crack the seal on that door, it's impossible to close it completely. It's always an option, lurking there. Like a comforting blanket, something you can fall back on if everything goes to shit.

And I know only too well the whole "think about your family/friends/etc" argument doesn't mean anything when you're in that zone. That advice usually comes from people who really don't know what they're talking about.

I note arnies below mentioned CBT and that you are utilising it; I have found it useful. When you constantly tell yourself that you are a fucking idiot for the most minor of mistakes, it does accumulate. Taking a stand against that - simply accepting that no one is perfect and shit happens - over time helps to stabilise the ship of mental state.

But we - all of us - employ point to point navigation until we can get our shit wired. I wish you all the best, Melbates. Thank you again for sharing.

Five years ago this July my future ex wife found our son after he had hanged himself in our basement. My son suffered with depression and heroin addiction and while he ended his pain it left me with something that I don't think I will ever get over. I hope you can find peace in life to carry on.

My sincerest condolences.

It's a dead end.

I laughed, but this was not appropriate.

@hlfsousa No One has ever accused me of being appropriate. Humor is my way of dealing with the human condition even if it is a little dark at times.🙂

@Sticks48 I've been told I have a dry, sometimes morbid, sense of humor but, honestly, don't understand your comment. What was the joke?

You keep doing you. 😉@Sticks48

@DelilahJones33 I will do my best. Thanks.

@DelilahJones33 Or my worst. It is subjective.

I have made many attempts as a younger person I seem to have a good life now and it is far from my mind though I can still remember every detail of my dates with death and being hospitalised and stomach pumped - I am 70 now and have left a lot of my past behind which helped. especially as I have forgotten most of it.

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31070
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.