Agnostic.com

22 2

OK so it's been fun so far but let's try and shake things up. Who here thinks that all the recent reports of time travel are real and if they are is time travel possible in both directions as it's been said that the present is now and you're future isn't set in stone so that obeying the case are these people who claim too be here to warn humanity of its impending doom really from the future or are they simply from a future one of the infinite possibilities that might coalesce or is it all fantasy. Another attempt to divert our eyes from the real truths...

Please forgive me again I'm crap at punctuation...

Wynter75 5 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if it's possible, but I hope not. This world is messed up enough as it is; imagine what we humans could screw up if we could travel back and forth in time. Sounds like a true nightmare to me; imagine if Hitler, Trump, Putin, Mussolini, Jack the Ripper, or anyone else could move freely through time? Lord love a duck! Makes me shudder just to think about it.

marga Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

"Lord love a duck" - my new favourite phrase! I'm going to be using that one a lot! 🙂

@Jnei 😀

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If any of these people can give a convincing explanation of the mechanism that allowed them to travel back through time or provide an artifact that does not currently exist (such as, perhaps, an IPhone5000, which I hope features a battery that doesn't run out just when you most need it) then perhaps their claims should be at least properly refuted. If they just show up and say "Yeah, I'm from the future, honest" then no further action is required.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

can't go backwards

But if the future is unwritten how can you even go forwards

you probably can't do that either

They just discoverd a boson that was pear shaped and finding this means time travel is impossible ( Summit to do with symmetry) . These guys are just wackjobs pretending to be from the future

Testable, verifiable, falsifiable, evidence--or it didn't happen.

A story I read on line

One other thing: look at typical clothing in developed societies today compared to a century ago, and a century before that. Are these people who claim to have travelled from the future wearing the same clothes we wear? The only reason they might do so would be to blend in - but if they wanted to do that, why would they tell anyone they're from the future?

Jnei Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

Clothes can't travel through time have you not seen terminator !!!!!

Micheal J Fox tried to warn us of an impending doom when he traveled through time. So I guess its possible just not productive.

Forward, is possible, but not achievable (yet?), by travelling near the speed of light. Backwards time travel requires travelling faster than the speed of light. It's likely impossible. Findings are all based on the study on how photons travel - based on Einstein's postulations on time.

Here is Brian Cox explaining theoretical time travel forward:

Here is SpaceTime YouTuber explaining superluminal time travel for time travelling backwards:

I am a sci fi fan, but time travel sits firmly in fantasy for me. I don't think of time in a way that such would be possible. Stephen Hawking made some of the most stupid comments I have ever heard in my life on the subject of time.

Originally, I thought that the collapse, would be the time reverse of the expansion. This would have meant that the arrow of time would have pointed the other way in the contracting phase. People would have gotten younger, as the universe got smaller. Eventually, they would have disappeared back into the womb.
However, I now realize I was wrong. Stephen Hawking.

You know when you think about it in a logical sense we are all time travellers as for each nanosecond we exist we are travelling in time forwards in time to the point we are at now to the next hurtling around the sun at 67,000 mph falling through the timespace rift that is our lifetime.

@GaryDoherty exactly. To me there has to be balance, to travel in time, would take the same amount of energy as it would to put every piece of matter/energy etc back in the place it was where you went back to. Hawking amazes me with his simplicity sometimes, as in the above example, if the universe were to contract, which I do not believe, we would not be growing younger etc, time would still go forward, the universe would just be collapsing back on itself. Even that won't happen, there is more stuff the further out you go, so if anything it will just get pulled apart.

I highly doubt they are real.

The problem is that we are on a planet that rotates aroudn a sun, in a solar system tht is rotatign aroudn a galaxy, which is traveling accross the iniverse. Sw traveling in time is problematic due tothe fact tht our plant is traveling at over 10,000 mph and various favitational influences have influenced trajectories, whcih over time can result in huge errors fo distance calculations. Because you see you not only have to travel through time, but also space... that is if you expect to live through it. Even if you calculated back one hour, you'd be in outer space, unless you traveled in both time and space and got he calculations just right to pop out in the sem place ohn earth.

I agree spacetime is round but time as we perceive is fake

Time travel to the future is not true. Speeding up to near speed of light (300,000 km per second) will slow time down and appear to be time travel, but it really isn't in the strictest terms. Time travel to the past, if possible, would most likely send you to another Universe to avoid a paradox. If it was possible to tavel back in time to our Universe you would be following the course of what happened back then with out any control of your actions. But I read too much Sci/Fi so forgive me.

Theoretical possibilities through wormholes and black holes. But the practicality of getting matter faster than light to go backwards in time... I am highly skeptical of it.

MrOhm Level 4 Mar 2, 2018

Our understanding of physics constantly changes. Who's to say they don't invent it later? However, who's to say they /do?/. I agree that I'll need much more substantial proof before I believe any of these claims. As to warnings about the future... eh. I follow the Many Worlds Hypothesis. It's the only one that makes sense to me.

Any reports saying that time travel is real iare pure poppycock!!

I strongly disbelieve time travel is possible.

Which would result in all kinds of weird paradoxes.

It's so myopic. The true goal should be to evolve beyond linear time. Become 4th dimensional creatures who can exist in any time but not all at once yet (which is 5th).

I'm not even renting this bullshit, let alone buying it.

Few listen to credible warnings that occur as we live and breathe, I cannot see it would have much of an effect from the cast of persons that make these claims and the excuses they give for not having any actual utilitarian knowledge from an alleged future.

If time travel was possible backwards, it would have to be forbidden in that any change even the mere prescence of someone from the futrer could inadvertanly change the course of history. Likewise, if a person could time travel to the future, the future would be changed by the fact that if they came back, they would alter the future for those who lived there. So, even if possible, too much of a risk of inadvertant change.

I was reading this morning bout a guy who claims to be an alien stranded on earth from the year 6000 and something I don't buy it I just wondered what popular theory on it waz

No don't think it will ever happen,we would have folk passing through here on a regular basis if so. Besides as all good sci fi fans know interfering with your own past could have some alarming outcomes.

Time travel is a great Sci-fi premise but for real? Not yet and possibly never. Unless they're really good at hiding/proving it, we haven't seen anybody from our future, unless they have a Star Trek esque Temporal Prime Directive lol
Another thought on time, if we could place a giant mirror say 1 light year away from earth and pointed a telescope at it would we see the earth as it was 2 years ago (I assuming 1 year for each way)?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.