Agnostic.com

33 7

"Never ask a woman her age" and other stupid rules. Who comes up with this nonsense? It is a relevant point of data when you're trying to get to know someone, romantically or not.

What stupid gender rules irritate you?

ScienceBiker 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Guys pay for everything.

The rule about not asking women their age exists so as to not force them into lying just yet.

I could simply ask some questions about Mork, G Gordon Liddy, Marlin Perkin, Archie Bunker and would know all I need to know, without touching that third rail question.

One also does not ask if she is pregnant unless it is blatently obvious.

That's fine until you date a woman from Brazil. Or a Mennonite.

Who?

That’s because age is affiliated to our intrinsic worth, as is our size/weight which is infuriating.

Reverse of this, I love girl code and guy code— those unwritten codas are fun to see/hear about.

Most of the gender rules come from Hollywood who got their ideas from high society then spread the message to the masses through movies.

As far as I'm concerned, be yourself. If a relationship is started with honesty and respect it will have a better chance of thriving. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 3, 2018

@Gwendolyn2018

I agree if you're talking about rights and privileges and the roles of men and women. It's the silly stuff that comes from high society and perpetuated by the movies. (A gentleman never asks a lady her age. Asking the father for the daughter's hand in marriage. The male must be the one to ask for a date and pay for it. Girls must always be feminine in appearance and actions. Only men can talk business and politics. etc.) Those are the things that Hollywood spread to the masses.

@Gwendolyn2018

You are correct. These traditions have been around for centuries and were important to those of wealth. For the commoner, the traditions meant little to nothing as they were in employ/servitude to those of wealth. Take the tradition of the white wedding gown, that began with royalty then adopted by the wealthy and eventually to the working class. By the time it was promoted to the working class it was well documented in magazines and film.

@Betty And from the pulpit then mother's and fathers instructing their children.

I hate the gender rules around men a lot. "Men can't wear dresses. Men can't like girlie things. Men have to be physically strong. Men can't wear nail polish (this came up very recently) men can't do this or that because they're gay if they do."

There is nothing wrong with being gay, but there's also nothing wrong with being straight and liking 'gay' or 'feminine' things.

Toxic masculinity is stupid. Just like rules around 'act like a lady' are stupid.

@TheInterlooper I am talking about nail polish on men, facials, getting massages, cross dressing, make up, figure skating, etc things that if a man does immediately makes him perceived as gay.

And unless it is describing getting fucked in the ass or sucking a dick, which are the ONLY real gay behaviors, it shouldn't be CALLED gay behaviors because straight men can too. THAT'S what I'm referring to, not just "the word gay is only used insultingly" which if you'd read my comment you'd have seen I even CLEARLY described what I mean.

More often than not such intolerances are started by stupid women who have nothing better to do and when challenged will say "but the vicar / priest / rabbi said it!"

In this day and age I would have thought asking a young ladies age was emminently sensible.

By the same token if a lady asked me 'How old do you think I am?' I have a fairly good tried and trusted response. Give the question some serious thought, come up with a number and substract 10. Usually this will elicit a favourable smile and possibly a blush. If you're still over the required number you probably need an eye test! 🙂

Why not just say "legally old enough to f#ck. Do you want to do it now or after you've paid for your meal?"

One of the rules is that there is only one corrrect answer to the question "How many men have you slept with?" The answer is 7. You say 5 or less and it sounds like you're lying. You say 10 or more and it sounds like you're a slut. So 7 is right there in the middle, in the sweet spot. Give that answer and that ends that stupid line of questioning.

If someone every asks me that, I be sure to ask what color skid marks do they have on their underwear. Because we are asking stupid personal questions, aren't we?

It amazes me that some women hate being asked their age. My weight? Now that's a no no. I've had several men ask me that in verbal conversations on dating sites...now, THAT is rude.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.