Agnostic.com

7 3

Do you believe that abortion should be legal at the federal level in the United States?

Yes. If it is illegal, rich people will get one safely, if they want, and poorer people will again be relegated to back room, unsafe procedures. It is a matter of elitism, period.

• 36 votes
  • 2 votes
CallMeDave 8 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have to explain my no vote. Sorry, but there is no right to an abortion in the Constitution. The 10th Amendment leaves anything that is not in the Constitution to the States. "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The Supreme Court has expanded the 14th Amendment to create a "right of privacy" which is a broad umbrella and they somehow say that it covers abortion. So please don't misunderstand me, states can legalize abortion but the word abortion isn't in the Constitution and is therefore not a "Federal right" technically. Elitism has nothing to do with it. If you want an abortion, you go to a state where it's legal. Very simple. I was taught in law school to be a "strict constructionist" regarding the Constitution. If it's not in there, it's left to the States.

lerlo Level 8 Mar 31, 2019

It doesn't mention my right to go to a grocery store either.
This is a silly argument.

@CallMeDave show me the "federal right" to go to the grocery store...find it and then you can tell me what silly is...until then, either learn the law or don't ask questions about it if you don't want the answer

@lerlo that is exactly my point, Einstein.

@CallMeDave "left to the States or to the people" maybe you can't read genius?

There are only two reasons for being against abortion. The first is personal opinion which means you don't have the right to force yours on everyone else which is something idiot conservatives never learn. The second is religious which not only is true in this case as we are a secular democracy but also results fro the illiteracy of Christians who never bother to read their bible even thought the often have several in their home. The bible itself is decidedly pro-abortion and can be readily proven by reading Numbers 5... From there on it becomes far more gruesome in its pro-abortion stance where the Christian god orders his followers to 'cut the unborn from the womb and kill it by sword....'

The right of a woman to determine what to do with her body, should be protected by federal laws. Conservative, christian red states are making it nearly impossible for a woman to, not only get an abortion, but her access to birth control is also compromised. Planned Parenthood is defunded, so poor women cannot get pap smears, STD testing, mammograms, or basic health care. It is not only abortions. The Evangelical Dominionists are getting more and more power all the time. The states take away womens' rights, even though not every woman is a conservative christian.

It gets more complicated when government intervene to force choices for all when likely every case is unique for the most part

@mzbehavin I meant it the other way around, government intervention to prevent it with the same measure when each case is different

@IamNobody so you're saying that women should only be allowed bodily autonomy on a case-by-case basis?

@Deb57 It seems that you only read my last comment. No, I am saying that the government should stay out of it.

I think the matter of abortion should be left up to the individual states because it does not fall within the scope of power of the federal government.

However, because we do find ourselves with an established precedent, i don’t believe that decision should be overturned. I worry a great deal that overturning Roe v Wade would do nothing but open the legal floodgates for those who would like to seek to make having an abortion a criminal offense.

I think the government should stay out of women's uterus.

Voted yes, and partly for the reason you've pointed out: making abortion illegal does not prevent abortion, it simply prevents women accessing safe abortion. Secondly, the decision whether or not to have an abortion lies solely with the woman considering having one - neither the state nor anyone else should have any say in it.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 28, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:319851
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.