Agnostic.com

63 7

What's better: renting or owning a home?

I debate this back and forth... and I've even talked about it a little on the forums awhile ago.

Do you prefer renting or owning? What's the upside to your preference?

• 21 votes
  • 63 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 13 votes
silvereyes 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I own, but I'm listed as tenant on the deed which tells me I'm really just renting with the delusion that I own it.

What’s good for one person might be bad for others... I travel, move a LOT... so, ultimately, home ownership isn’t beneficial for me, but it is for those who stay in an area for a long time if they can maintain it.

I think it depends on where you are in your life as to which is more appealing.

I would probably feel differently if I had kids, but I've always felt like living in one place for 20 years or having the same job or even the same career for that matter would be boring. There's so many things to experience in the world. If you have kids to leave it to then it's a good investment because it would make their lives easier, other than that owning doesn't appeal to me at all.

Providing you don't pay beyond your means owning brings better security of person. . Nothing like renting somewhere you like and having the owner sell or occupy your space

Living in really rich person's mansion that is so big, they don't remember you are living there.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 4, 2018

It depends on how nice a home or rental you want. In general it is cheaper to rent given the cost of upkeep of ownership and other costs such as higher insurance. Bottom line is this, if, at a young age, you rent and save the money you would normally spend on a home and mortgage-AND- you live in a frugal rental, there are any number of investments that will make more money than home equity. Trying to buy what you always wanted right off puts you in a restricted lifestyle at a young age, this is the age when you can do so much. Had I to do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought a house right off. If you do buy a house at a young age, buy an "investment" home, something that will resale later, 3 bedroom, 2 bath near a school. Plan your future from there, generally you will be happier with a lower mortgage and more secure. Understand also, you tastes will change in time as will your income allowing you to be more introspective in your lifestyle. I now rent, I also have 2 rental properties that I paid cash for using my 401K, now I can get income from my pension, rentals, a modest job and soon, Social Security. Also this, if you become savy in finance and want more control over your investments, roll your 401K into a Self-Directed IRA to get a more hands-on investment strategy, only if you are confident though.

If you don't want to take on responsibilities of maintaining the property, yard care, mortgage, etc, you are better off renting. If those do not bother you and if you plan to be in the same city for a substantial period of time, I would prefer home ownership.

At this point in my life I'm OK with renting due to financial constraints and the possibility that I'll be moving out of state, but I'm always uncomfortable with the fact that what I'm paying for isn't actually mine, and thus could be taken away from me. I'd like to own a property someday. That way it's mine and I call the shots. And I can throw ragers! (Ideally I'd have very few neighbors to piss off.)

I lived in the city where I could here the mother next door yelling at her children through the livingroom wall. Living in an apartment is not for me. Yes, there is the responsibilities associated with home ownership. I'm not the best example of a home owner. 😉

Being able to own a home would mean that I earn enough to own a home (or at least get an affordable mortage).

It's unfortunate that people think that's the only two ways to live indoors. I take houses other people no longer want. I haven't paid rent or mortgage for over 30 years.

@silvereyes
I've explained it here a couple of times. If you'll be the hostess of the pod cast I'll teach you to show others.

@silvereyes
We would make our own podcast staring you and any poor female friend with children you know that wants a house and is willing to work.
Scene opens in your local diner.

You and your friend sitting opposite me holding camera.

You say,

Hi my name's Silver and did you ever hear a story so farfetched you couldn't believe it? I'm sitting across from a guy that claimed on a website I visit that anyone can get a free house with a little work and here's my friend Jane that says she'll do anything to get out of renting. I called his bluff so let's see if he says he can do what he claims shall we?

I am not an actress, I have no idea what this guy is going to tell me to do so we will both be learning how to get a free house as we go along.

Ok, so I took your advice and put the ad in my local classifieds and people have called offering me houses they no longer want. So what now?

Me off camera. How much did you pay for the ad?

You, $28 for four weeks.

Me. Hands you $28. Ok let's take a look at the pictures folks sent you.

Which one do you like best?

You pick one.

Me. Ok let's go.

You. By the way what does Anonbene stand for?

Me. Anonymous Benefactor and I'ld like to keep it that way.

Etc.

Renting sucks long term

I own but I also designed and built my house. I'd always wanted to do that so that's a little extra satisfaction.

@silvereyes keep putting your ideas on paper you never know what life has in-store.

Find someone who already owns a home.

I had rented all my adult life until my mom helped me get into a home of my own. As long as you get a house that isn't already falling apart, and don't hold ridiculous, wild parties, you at least get some sort of return on your investment, as opposed to just throwing money into a hole every month.

I own my own home but rent the land it sits on

you don't own anything, the earth owns you

Both havetheir pros and cons. Owninga hometies youdown and the unexpected costs can be frustrating; especially with older homes. I believe minewas built in1906.

With a lease you're less committed to a location, but you are bound by someone else's requirements. That is intolerable.

Sometimes I wish I could be completely nomadic.

JimG Level 8 Mar 3, 2018

Owning hands down. I do not like apartment life. It's too busy, noisy, dirty. My house was my home. I said who could come onto my property (how close I allowed people to me and mine). I was on a dead end street and every party, adult or kids, was at my place. Again though, on my own terms. I had a quiet place to go to each morning and read while enjoying the sunrise. Can't do that here unless I sit on nasty stairwell. Next chance I get I'm moving back into my own home. Where I can change what I want when I want cause it's alllll mine.

I own a house and about 13 years ago Kate and I decided that with the costs the way they were going we should fix up the basement and rent it out. After we started the work we decided to fix the basement the way we wanted and them move into it. We did not need the upstairs and we would get more in rent. We put a lot of money into it, hiring most of the work done but supplying the cabinets and other woodwork ourselves. Worked out great. We now basically live without a rent payment. Bad part is that we have to pay for all the maintenance, luckily I am a woodworker and we can get to everything so plumbing and electrical are not large problems. No need to tear out walls. Maintenance can be a killer. We have had to put in a new heater, works only for the upstairs. Put in another heater as there was one room which did not have heat. Replaced a dishwasher, a referigerator, and remodeled sort of a bathroom. Though these costs are high we do get to write everything off that is put into the upstairs. We have great renters and they take care of the place, much better than people who just tear the place up. We bought the place for 135,000 and it is now worth over 300,000, if we could fix it up it would be worth over 400,000, we live in a good market as this is a destination for [people to retire. So as an investment it is great but to get the money back we would have to sell the place. Fortunately we will die here. I have moved way to many times.

I have prefer renting..it costs more..but having wanderlust allows me to move around as needed..also no real build up of unnecessary junk.

I rent but that is just because owning a home in a city is just unreasonable. At some point I think I would want to switch but I also want to be able to pack up my life, my dog, and leave if it just isn't giving me what I want.

I'd rather own. I'm happy in my house no one can sell out from under me but, when you rent and the roof leaks, someone else has to pay for it. When you own, it's all on you

Ownership means if you have the thing paid off, you can take a loan out on the place, get your lump sum, then rent it out to people who, in turn, pay your loan off. Pay yourself first.

And I guarantee that, if your landlord is smart, that’s exactly what they’re doing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.