Agnostic.com

36 7

When traveling what are your thoughts on visiting religious sites?

When traveling what are your thoughts on visiting religious sites? I travel often and I've spent way more time in religious sites while traveling than I ever have at home. I visit them for their part in history, culture and architecture. Typically I keep and open mind but my sister gets fussy "because it's all religious bull crap" and would rather go somewhere else.

sayDblue 3 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like history and architecture so it depends on the location I guess

if there iinteresting in there own right then its all good

I love history, culture, lore and architecture. Even if I don't believe in the religion, I can appreciate it.

I'm a big art and history fan, so it would definitely be a stop for me.

Religion and history are pretty entertwined. I will visit "religious" sites for their historical significance if I have an interest in the history and it isn't going out of my way.

Ditto.

I could spend months touring churches and other religious sites as many are fascinating from a historical, cultural, artistic and architectural (the engineering in a medieval cathedral is incredible) viewpoint, and many of those that aren't especially important are still very beautiful. In the UK, many of our churches are getting on for a thousand years old and in that time they've pretty much all taken on at least one unusual, interesting or unique characteristic. The church in my village, for example, dates back to 1066 and stands on the site of an even older church. Where I lived before moving here is one church where the tower was built in 1000, before that I lived near the oldest wooden church in the world (it's also possibly the oldest wooden building of any type in Europe).

Religion has a lot to answer for, but it's given us some very nice buildings!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 4, 2018

When I travel I like to visit religious sites, they say a lot about the people, the culture, the history etc etc the god bit is irrelevant, at least to me.

I'm open to exploring religious sites, especially if there is nice architecture or artwork. I find it interesting to learn about other religions, but some aren't as open minded. Learning about it doesn't mean you have to believe it. I'm always up for adventure, so I say go and enjoy. And if it sucks, you can turn right around and go check out something else.

It's an interesting question. I like going to religious sites to "touch history" so to speak. I have a rather active imagination, and I try to see those people before me coming to this place to find..something. and some did, so my goal is to understand (realistically) what that was. If i can help it, I would find out the story, then go by myself without tour guides or others to try to see what they saw.

This one time I was at a lake next to a large cave (by a large cave I mean a whole system of underground tunnels, rivers, drops etc). The lake's depth was not known, but it was pretty deep, and water was incredibly cold. The minerals in the crust made the water look unrealistically blue. Beautiful, but cold as ice. There was a tree next to it, that did not have any leaves, but was covered in pagan-like ribbons. People would come there to make a wish; they would tie a ribbon to a tree, take a dip in the lake, and ask the spirits for guidance.
I took the dip (freezing! in the middle of a summer), but I loved the landscape, and the peace and quiet. I went there daily, while I was in the area just to experience the beauty. No, I did not make a wish though 🙂

That sounds amazing. Where was it?

@sayDblue Ural mountains!

I like the historical aspect, how many churches or ruins can we see here in the US that are a thousand years old?

I guess for me it would depend on the site. I see no reason to avoid especially historic religious sites, but I'd be far less interested in visiting a really old church with no other historic value.

I never visit them, I have too much fun for that.

I visit them for their historical/architectual significants.

Why would you want to avoid feasting your eyes on beauty and interest in a building, anymore than you would avoid staring with awe at the Niagara falls for instance, just because someone else believes their God created it.
Just as events good and bad create the person you are, and would not be without the existance of both.

Kitz Level 4 Mar 4, 2018

I really like this answer!

I visit them, but I definitely try to avoid giving money to those that discriminate.

There was a temple in Cambodia that didn’t let women in and I regretted going there. Now that I’ve had that experience I try to check in advance if they don’t allow women in, or have a men’s and women’s section because of course segregation is a thing. I don’t want to support blatant discrimination with my money.

Myah Level 6 Mar 4, 2018

There was one place in Chiang Mai that didnt let women in because we might be unclean and taint the site. Really got my goat.

I enjoy the history and architecture myself, some of the cathedrals are beautifully crafted structures. Other than that I could care less about them

I love great architecture and let's face it, the Church's had the funds to afford the best architechts and materials and art. I can appreciate their beauty for the sake of beauty alone. I love stained glass windows.

They are great aren't they, the windows

@Ersomething Yes they are, I especially love the one with the Madonna and child as the main pic and in the upper right corner a UFO with a man and dog focused on it, makes me believe the artist was one of us, an unbeliever. I like to think the most intelligent of the past were also able to see past the facade of religion to the reality of no god.

Take your sisters advice and don't visit them. I'm trying to avoid religion, because it's a waste of time . I'm so glad I'm an atheist now. It's only been 2 weeks or so, but it's great.

You can separate the architecture from the religion, after all if these were really God's houses they would be protected from natural disasters and attacks from men and we all know how that's worked out.

Why wouldn't you? If you visit ancient archaeological sites you are likely visiting religious sites. What is the difference, from the atheist perspective, from visiting the Temple of Athena and visiting St. Peter's Basilica?

If you're interested in the site, then visit it and enjoy. If it is "religious bull crap" then you're immune from that anyway so why should it worry you? You get to see the site for what it actually is rather than those who think it is somehow sacred or something.

I enjoy the architecture and the history. I think it’s interesting to stand somewhere that was fabricated by humans hundreds or thousands of years ago. Most of the structures that were built to last were done so out of worship for some deity. It’s a very unique and moving moment to be aware of, it makes history tangible.

Personally, I love learning about other people and their cultures, including their religions. It doesn't mean I have to subscribe to their beliefs. Understanding breeds tolerance, acceptance and more. IMHO.

The funny thing is I've always appreciated the aesthetics of temples and cathedrals.. But I just have to separate my appreciation for architecture from the truth of what goes on in those buildings and what it means for society.

The mormon temple is like that. It's pretty much an evil space cult base of..some really awful shit. But the outside at least looks pretty..

Think of them as historical sites....monuments to the delusions of the past.

At least the sites are historical. In Germany they have dead saints embalmed inside some of the old churches. I saw this while stationed in Nurnberg. I'm sure other sites worldwide are of similar interest.
As for it being "religious bullcrap" this would fit anything to do with god belief. Seeing something that you may never see again would be my point in visitng them at all.

Whether it was the Cathedral in Mexico, the Sagrada Familia en Barcelona or the Buddhist temples in Thailand....I visited them for the cultural enrichment they provide

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32132
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.