Agnostic.com

20 6

I've started watching Neil deGrasse Tyson's "Cosmos" on Netflix. I've seen the old Carl Sagan show and a few episodes of this new(er) version but wanted to watch it all. Anyone else like it or have a preference.

ronnie40356 7 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Loved it! And it opened my eyes about Seth MacFarlane too.

I loved both, but thought the original to be far superior. I wasn't crazy about the use of animation in A Spacetime Odyssey even though I generally get a kick out of most of MacFarlane's work. As a narrator, Tyson is a most worthy successor to Sagan. He doesn't have the natural gift for poetry that Sagan had, but his humor and likability go far to counter that deficit. Music also plays a large part in the success of Sagan's A Personal Voyage, and the extensive use of Vangelis' work made it hard to beat in that category.

I actually liked Carl Sagan's presentation better, It was not as specific in the time but the thoughts were incredible. Now we now many answers and all is good.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 4, 2018

Sagan is a personal hero/idol/person I admire. I've loved him since I was young, watching the original Cosmos with my parents. Pale Blue Dot to me is one of the pinnacles of himan perspective, and Sagan reading his passage is about as close as I get to a religious experience. (I also loved Contact, with Jodi Foster, though it was tinged with sorrow that he died before it's theatrical release).

Neil deGrasse Tyson is wonderful too, though he has a lot more ego and a lot less patience than Sagan. He's a showman as much as a scientist, but that's just what we need right now, to get the attention of the masses.

I do not think Neil is a showman, he is excellent with communication and is a true scientist

@EMC2 He most certainly is a great scientist! But I believe he is also a good showman. It's how he presents science in a light people can appreciate and connect with more. Being a showman isn't a bad thing.

Historians were appalled by it, which kind of ruined it for me.

Why were historians appalled by it? It does skim through history but I can understand the time limits.

@ronnie40356 Because there were numerous factual errors and omissions, plenty of links to be found, here's one: [evolutionnews.org]

@Druvius That was a very wordy article. After wading through it my take is, its not historians against it as much as creationists and/or anti-evolutionists who were criticizing it. Since I don't agree with either of them I have no problem omitting them. Do you believe in creationism?

@ronnie40356 We apparently read different articles then. Carry on.

@Druvius All righty then. I read the article at the link you sent. Maybe you meant something else but who knows. Yes, carry on.

Yeah, it's great! deGrasse Tyson and MacFarlane hit their strides, with the overall style of the show, several episodes in.

I've seen both and love both. Science doesn't have to exist without wonder, and I think both versions get that across beautifully.

It seems to me that the whole show was devoted to building a case for global warming. I was surprised that Fox aired it.

Love Tyson. Smart, funny, and a nonbeliever. Brings more humor to science than Sagan. I also watched and liked Cosmos.

I`m hooked on " the ministry of time ". A spanish tv show in subtitles. Learnt a whole load about Spanish history

Both are or were great science minds. Love all the videos and books.

I've seen both. The newer version was great. The original is my favorite. Dr. Carl Sagan was a great inspiration to me, a great educator and a wonderful human.

Can't wait to see it.

I loved Cosmos, and I think Neil deGrasse Tyson is the epitome of hot males so I have watched many of his programs. The programs are fascinating and then there is Neil. What is not to like.

It's great. It's one of the few things I let my kids stay up late to watch on a school night when it came out. I hear they are going to do another season.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 4, 2018

I loved it, can't wait for season two.

Gohan Level 7 Mar 4, 2018

I like Carl Sagan's version more.

Marz Level 7 Mar 4, 2018

Love it gonna buy it so my daughter and I can watch it together

Totaly concur. I also remember watching the originals by Sagan!

I love that series. Anything that shows the magnificence of our universe is worth watching.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.