Agnostic.com

29 11

There are days when I feel like I'll never find love again. I know pessimism isn't a good color, but I just ache at times. I'm sure everyone else has felt pain like this before. I wish I could just speed the time.

ShabbyChicGirl 5 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Take some time and learn how to give yourself what you need. Find something you like and enjoy doing, could be a hobby, a class, or even volunteering. Socialize with your friends and family and keep busy. Choose to be happy with who you are and if there is someone out there looking they will see you. A happy confident person is always noticeable. πŸ™‚

Betty Level 8 Mar 4, 2018

@Maiasaura

Thank you. πŸ™‚

Agreed! And another advantage to going out and exploring hobbies, etc, is you might meet that someone while exploring your own new worlds. πŸ™‚

I hear ya. I've been unhappily single for about five years, now, and nothing seems to work. Yeah, yeah, work on myself, I don't need an SO to be a complete person, bla bla bla. All that philosophising doesn't make it suck any less when you're surrounded by couples, being acutely reminded of how alone you are. Hang in, there, though. It's rough, but we'll live. πŸ™‚

I found love when I wasn't looking. To be fair, I've never exactly sought it out either? It's happened with very close friends, people I let my walls down for and who didn't shy away from the dark shadows hiding there. They accepted me as I was and through sharing our innermost thoughts together, we came to be more than only friends.

It hurts right now because you're actively craving that connection. Remind yourself that the right person will come along, likely when you least expect them to, and it'll be all the sweeter having them in your life after going without.

I feel this way sometimes too and for the most part, I accept it.

I don't find people are really interested in investing time or willing to put in the emotional labor.

And I'd much rather be alone than be with someone who is going to half ass it.

You will.

I found my wife by NOT looking for a wife. Sounds strange, doesn't it?

Fact is, I sort of gave up and decided to just live my life, pursue my degree and just be me and enjoy what I could of life. Convinced that I was going to be solo for all of it... then this gorgeous red head bounced into view. I thought she was another friends girlfriend so I was 'hands off', though interested.

I am convinced that my confidence, my willingness to just walk away, is what got me the girl. If I'd been panting after her from day one, she'd've sprinted away.

I don't know that it exactly works the same for women, so I won't try to extrapolate that side of the coin. I only know my side. However, I DO feel that being confident and comfortable in your own skin is sexy in it's own right. Don't despair, just love your cat and your life and... and someone will eventually bounce into view and get your attention.

Oh, and only one cat? I have two (yes, I read your profile). Why two? So, if they get bored while I am at work, they take it out on each other, not the house. πŸ™‚

You might find that your cat will accept a kitten in the house for several reasons (some of which are dirty tricks you can play on your cat and I have used them, they work):

1. across the animal kingdom kittens have been shown to have an affect which causes other animals to treat them differently... which explains why a cat might foster a dog, or vice versa, etc.

2. Before introducing your new kitten to Yoshi, rub the kitten down with Yoshi's litter. This makes the new cat smell like Yoshi and causes Yoshi to be unsure as to what exactly is going on but it's me, and yet not me... in short it makes the old cat believe the new one is part of the clan. A long lost sibling or something. They tend to be less aggressive (we did this with my 20 year old and I don't know WHY we didn't do it with our other cats, she integrated very easily... then again, we have had very little trouble integrating kittens into our household). Note: we only did this once, on initially introducing Sheba (yeah, sad name but she's chugging along and happy as a clam) to the Hart clan.

3. Put up some "Comfort Zone with Feliway" diffusers. This calms all cats and thus lowers aggression.

4. This trick I have not tried: if you have a room you can segregate, get another litter box and have the new cat in the segregated room. Have the cats meet in regulated and controlled fashions. One thing to do in this scenario, is cross pollinate litter from the boxes so that each cat is smelling the other in their litter. This makes them think that both cats are part of the clan (as above). How? When cleaning the boxes, take some of the (non polluted, or minimally polluted) litter from one box and put it in the other, and vice versa. Stir until you are happy and back away from the litter!

We also slept with the new kitten and guarded same for a few days. As with introducing any cat, you have to spend the first day or two taking the new roomie to the litter box every hour or so until you see them going there on their own. Ie: make sure they KNOW that is where the bathroom is... we failed on this once and boy did that cat make a mess of things from there on out!

Granted, all of this depends on your wishes to HAVE a second cat. πŸ™‚

Remember that song..."Looking for love in all the wrong places""???
Maybe you need to look in places you never looked before.

Can't really add anything to what others have already said except you're not alone in this struggle and we wish you well. πŸ™‚

I can relate, especially since I'm probably much older than you. πŸ™‚
But I believe in love: heart-pounding, hand-holding, can't wait to kiss you -- kind of love and I'm convinced it's out there for me again...and for everyone else who is open to it.
Patience isn't my strong suit but I agree with the others: Live your life, be as happy as you can be, open yourself up to new possibilities and...who knows? πŸ™‚

Get out and volunteer or just hang out. Isolation makes time seem to slow. Give the world the gift of you.

After 2 horrendous marriages, at the age of 69+, I have found the love of my life, and he, me. He is 73. We laugh & tease all day long, I have Never been happier! Go thou and do likewise!

We all have been there, are still there and wondering the same thing from time to time. It will happen when you least expect it.

Unfortunately, sad, lonely people usually attract and are attracted to people who are also sad and lonely. Two needy people are not a good combo because you are the only one who can make yourself happy.
When you are busy joyfully interacting with people of like interests, you'll be more likely to meet someone on the same page.

Patience is a worthy virtue

Feeling much the same. The only cure I've found is to saty busy, give back, get outside. If you're not putting yourself out there, nothing will change.

Exactly what I said. Someone will find her, but only if she is out there.

You’re not alone.

It happens when it happens. In the meantime comfort yourself with toilet seats left down and no missed pan. Watching what you want to watch on tv and no empty cartons of milk replaced in the fridge.

A Conscious Person's Guide to Relationships by Ken Keyes Jr. is your friend. I will never stop reading this book.

I get down like that too and I am surrounded by love. I get these thoughts that I'm going to fuck it all up somehow.

Don't go wishing you life away, don't put it on hold waiting.
Put the extra energy into other things, once you are in a relationship you will be hanging out for some free time. I have a 31 year old son, smart capable, fit, quite well off for his age the ladies all love him. But he can't find the one that pushes all the right buttons. He was with a lovely girl years back, and she has set the bench mark. Sad thing is some of his friends have kids, he loves kids and they love him. So he gets quite dejected over it, he would love to be a dad, but can't find the suitable mum.

I met someone a few months ago and we're at a point now where we're just enjoying each other's company but don't have any idea yet where it's heading. It's going very slowly, and though I like where we are so far, it's frustrating and perplexing because it's been so long that I've felt hopeful about anyone and I don't want it to go away like others have.

Exactly. I have met someone really nice and there is a good spark, but she was badly hurt in a previous relationship and doesn't want to get too close to anyone. Really frustrating.

I am feeling that heartache too! You are not alone.

JK666 Level 7 Mar 4, 2018

I've been alone for a long time, i mean i have 2 daugthers but they are married, have kids and are far away. i'm 65, and the fact is, i'm in stage 4 kidney failure. They are kind of stabling out, BUT my life is getting shorter every day. Sooooooo it's gets pretty empty. it would be nice to meet a woman and have a good time again, but it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. I am substitute teaching school and it's getting me out of the house.

Hug!

Get yourself a support network! Reach out to friends,make new ones get involved in hobbies. The more you focus on making yourself happy and enjoying your life whether single or not, the better you'll feel.

Just don’t hide, don’t close the door, don’t shut the curtains, because, most likely, love is trying to find you!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.