Agnostic.com

17 0

Poll of members.

I was more than a little disappointed after joining this site and observing many of the comments and conversations. I thought I would find a community of people who were a little above the average population in their integrity and intelligence. What I have seen is not encouraging. At least according to what I have seen in comments and bantor. Knowing that comments and remarks made in text and online are not always an accurate representation of ones true thoughts and feelings, I would like to ask for honest thoughts and feelings.
We are all smart enough to know there is no magic imaginary friend in the sky on our side.
However, there is a very obvious divide in some areas of thought. Thought, morality and ethics.

As fair minded, independent thinkers, tolerant of the views of others, we should be able to have a discussion. I would like to ask a couple questions. No need to respond if you will be easily offended by the views of others who disagree.

With all of the media hype lately

How many members of this community support feminism ?

How many see feminism as cancer?

Who sees the truth about what feminism has actually done to relationships and families ?

Please provide supporting evidence and links unless your remarks are only opinion.

I will not play the part of moderator. I will observe and may comment but I am not defending one side or the other. I am only asking to determine the views of members.

DeityfreeRo 6 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How many members of this community support feminism ?

I don't know how many here support feminism but I'd guess the majority, including myself...

How many see feminism as cancer?

How do I see feminism? Is that what you mean? I see it as a movement to obtain equal rights for women...

Who sees the truth about what feminism has actually done to relationships and families ?

Feminism has done nothing to relationships or family.. I'm in a relationship and have kid (s)..

Now, a question from me.. How long ago did your wife / girlfriend leave you and why do you blame feminists for you causing your wife to leave?

I hate to tell you but Hi IQ is not apt to show on Social Media.

Insulting people by suggesting they have less than average intelligence isn't going to win friends or get good conversations going either.

So I'm perplexed. You have to know your wording was off here?

You aren't going to get honest responses - you've already rubbed everyone's fur in the wrong direction.

Perhaps try stating a viewpoint - or citing an article and then ask people's opinions - and let them know it's fine if they are different from the one presented.

But this is just a lot of anger generation. Except for the few people who still tried to answer the question.

BTW I am a feminist. I don't feel the need to defend a viewpoint that tries to bring women equivalent to men.
I'm also a Humanist.

Bringing all people equal is sort of the mandate.

When women aren't second class citizens - then I might have a happy day.

For all of you who just don't get it, this best explains feminism and the problem with it.
Have a good day.

Feminism is not a cancer, to equate the movement to an often deadly disease is folly. You ask who sees the truth about what feminism has actually done and the very tone in the question leads one to believe that you take issue with the movement, which leaves me curious about your opinion. [Update: I'm no longer curious.]

Mine is that it is still a much needed cause, and I could give you a laundry list of reasons but I suspect I would be repeating what you've read time and again. Best of luck to you.

I absolutely do not see feminism as cancer. As with every school of thought there are people who take a reasonable point and continue to push it until it reaches the absurd. If we evaluate any school of thought by the most radical within it then we would have to conclude that all schools of thought are absurd. Feminism is about sexual equality. As an atheist I see many radical atheists who come off as nut jobs and many religious people point at those people as examples of how terrible atheism is. I think that's wrong. Feminism, as in sexual equality, is a good thing but some people take it to an extreme which is not a good thing. To put on blinders to that can take a warped view of the movement in order to push an equally radicalized and skewed agenda.

OCJoe Level 6 Apr 6, 2019

You seem have a rough deal here. Most of the resonses have been knee-jerk attacks. Pity people are not willing think things through, and contribute something worthwhile.

@DeityfreeRo Sorry no. I'd rather be poked in the eye with a stick than sit through 44 mins of those voices.

Feminism promoted the idea that gender was a social construction, and flew against the notion that gender roles were innate and natural. This was vitally important to undermine generational norms for the subjugation of women. Sadly all ideologies self consume themselves. Whilst it is true that gender roles are socially constructed it is important, no vital, to also accept that nature plays an indelible role in gender construction. This is often forgotten or ignored by feminism.

As for "all the media hype lately", I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you have any evidence, and in what way is such "hype" directed.

Well said. Thank you.
As.far as media hype, I do not watch much network news. But with all of the # metoo" and Antigua and SJW news, it seems to be in the news daily , even hourly.

@DeityfreeRo I'd also like to add the that idea that gender is innate and natural is the way to fully understand gay and transgender issues. If you pretend that it's all just socially constructed that you are also trying to say that sexuality - trans, homo, and hetero is somehow a simple social choice. I'm neither gay nor trans but one thing I do know is that I did not choose to be straight, and from knowing gays I also know that they did not choose gayness.
Like most boys I just woke up one day obsessed with girls!! That is indelible and innate.

@chazwin I agree. Gay, straight is not a choice.
I am neutral on the issue, in other words it does not matter to me if a person is gay , straight, bisexual . We are as we are and it's not a mistake, as I see it. I have no problem with anyone who's sexuality is different than mine.
Thanks for your input and honesty.

Maybe your expectations are too high. It happens when we assume so much.

Better grab a raincoat! You're kinda pissin' into the wind here, buddy.

These questions show you are a sexist jerk:

"Who sees the truth about what feminism has actually done to relationships and families ?"

"How many see feminism as a cancer? "

Lol. No. They do not.

No, they do not. But your comment shows you to be very judgmental and that you think you know my thoughts and intentions.
It shows you have hostility

If i respond, you get a couple points, then you might get a level, then you might stay and post more of this baited crap, so I am not going down that road.

Haha! FAIL!

Ha ha.
No.
You have no concept of what is happening g.

Ha ha.
Yes.
Now we are on Fail Part Deux.

@CaroleKay lol. No. You misjudged me and my intentions. You do not know my thoughts or intentions. Religious people do that.

In regards to equal pay and opportunity in the work place and equal treatment under the law, I am 100% supportive of the core tenants of feminism which the original feminists fought (and many courageously died) for. I have zero interest in supporting the modern day social justice warrior agenda of lifting women up at the expense of tearing men down.

We all lose when a divide between the sexes exists. We are strongest when we enhance each other’s strengths and shore up each other’s weaknesses, and that can’t happen in an environment where one sex views themselves as superior to the other.

Neither sex holds sway over the other. We are simply different. If that balance is not recognized and accepted by a major majority of a society, that society cannot and will not flourish.

I agree. Totally. Thanks

You should have started with the line where you ask: "How many members of this community..." but as I don't like being patronized, now I don't even feel like responding, sorry man!

No problem. Your choice.

The problem with your menu of questions is that not everybody has a common language or understanding of what may or not be considered feminism. Perhaps that is what you were looking for. That is to say, the range of definitions or the degree of commonality. Your approach might work.

Posing it like did is a lot like how the Republicans posed the concept of familiy values in the run up to his second tetm. Reagan and his Republicans defined family values as meaning one man and one women in matrimony having children.

Democrats were trying to champion same sex marriage ( first election where this was an actual topic of discussion). Democrats said two people of the same sex could constitute a family.

The Republicans countered by saying that if you were not in agreement with them you were opposed to family values. It worked for them quite well to squelch the same sex marriage issue for 2 decades.

It was lose-lose for Democrats. If they said they were for family values (which they had to do in the presidential debates) they deneid the same sex marriage constituency. If they claimed that they disagreed with their Republican opponents, they were labeled as opposed to having familt values.

Feminism is like that. Whose definition of feminism do you use? What does it look like? Until a common vocabulary is established an intelligent conversation is difficult.

You are exactly right.
The feminism I was speaking of is , well, all of them. In the beginning feminist ideas and goals were pretty much fair and good. But now it is quite different. Now feminism is about laws and rules that benefit one class of people at the expense of another. Not fair and balanced at all.

@DeityfreeRo What class are you referring to?

@t1nick he's a one trick pony Nick...

So you insult people and then ask them to discuss? Seems to me that you lack ... social skills ... for someone of such professed uber-intelligence. You encourage defensiveness which activates the limbic system thus short-circuiting the pre-frontal cortex. Even if you desire logic and reasoning you've already subverted it for many of the readers. Physician heal thyself.

I did not insult anyone. If you took offence those were your thoughts. Not mine.

what kind of a nut are you? I don't think you belong here

What kind of nut are you?

As a lifelong feminist, environmentalist and Democrat, I support feminism: political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.

Insulting member's intelligence and integrity is against Community Guidelines:

[agnostic.com]

Insult. Who did I insult ?

@DeityfreeRo Pretty much everyone on the site.

@ToolGuy no. I insulted no one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:323394
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.