Agnostic.com

8 0

Does anyone work from home?

What do you do? And more to the point, how do you balance work, home life, and personal life? I'm still feeling my way through this.

bleurowz 8 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems that any person who works from home is faced with the fact that it is constantly necessary to maintain this balance between home and work. Working online was salvation because I always felt that I would like to give up going to the office in the morning in any weather and sitting there for 8 hours in an unpleasant environment. At some point, my friend found a job in her specialty at dailyremote.com , and I wanted to do it too, and without hesitation, I sent a few civies. To my surprise, everything worked out, but then I had to learn again to distinguish between working hours and home hours since when you work remotely, it is complicated not to be distracted by household tasks from work and vice versa. In general. So I understand you very much, my friends

I worked from home for about 5 years. I worked for a large company. 50% of my job was writing reports and presentations and the other 50% was on conference calls and tracking projects. I would get up and make coffee and log into my computer. Depending on my schedule I would eat breakfast around 10am and then mid afternoon take a break and go for a walk. Then come back for lunch and more work. I tried to end my day by 6pm and would not turn on the TV until I was done. Staying in a routine helped a great deal. At first I struggled with not turning on the TV. I'm used to it being on even when not watching. There are pros and cons to working from home. I lived alone and found myself missing being around my coworkers. But I found myself better focus without my friends distractions. I think a good balance is being in the office at least one day per week if not two.

I'm a wedding officiant, so I work from home, mostly answering emails, phone calls and at my computer writing custom ceremony scripts for couples getting married or planning another life change event.

I state my "open hours" of 9-5 Monday-Friday, to cut down on early morning and weekend calls. I also build in breaks in my day for a swim or bike ride. Some days I don't have much work, so I tend to get lazy and goof off, but some days I really do need to stay on task and put off all personal interactions. (Friends know I'm home all day, so they don't always realize I'm working some of that time.)

I feel I don't have to answer email inquiries outside of my work hours, but I usually do anyway, because I like to be prompt, and often the first officiant to answer an inquiry has a better chance of getting the gig and a better review. I work with clients contacting me from different timezones, so I answer my email various times of the day if convenient for me.

I just have to take a whole day off once in a while, away from home and my computer, just to keep my sanity. If if needing to stay home, I put away my computer for a few hours so my home doesn't always look like my office.

Sort of. I run a plant nursery on my own land by the house. Finding balance is the hard part, it may be easier for some in some types of work, but being a producer and marketer of those products, which are living, the plants can call on me at any time and so can the customers. It is also very seasonal so my year splits between 24/7 some months and total free time in others. Sometimes cabin fever sets in and I feel imprisoned in one location But the good part is that the work is very varied, very social, and I have a lot of freedom to choose what I do in any given hour. There were two of us but I now do it alone and sometimes think of employing someone, if only for company, its hard to keep motivated when you know its only for you, but since I have only a few years to go before retirement now, it does not seem fair to take someone on without a long term prospect, so I guess I will just stick it out.

I've been working from home a good portion of my career. I manage Web content. I can't tell you how to balance it because I still haven't figured it out. I know I spend the first hour of each day on email and getting back on pressing issues, Sometimes I'll work only half day, and then finish up later that night when everything has quieted down.

But one thing I have learned early on, is that if they see you online on the weekend, they're going to assume you'll be doing more of that... So very often if I do work on the weekend (and I do a lot, just because it works for me), I don't logon, just to make sure it's not expected from me.

I am starting a largely online business from my home. I have a set schedule: hours when I am "at work" and hours when I am off. So far, it wirks.

My late husband slso ran his business from home, but was on the clock 24/7, which sucked for the family. If such is likely to happen to you, you might want to consider a separate building or some such as your office.

Zster Level 8 Apr 3, 2019

That's the thing, I have to be careful not to over-extend myself because I often work at odd hours. Sometimes I can be more productive on nights or weekends, but then my sleep patterns can also get messed up.

@bleurowz I have weird sleep patterns, which works as my business is not tied to public hours. So far, if creative juices are flowing, I might work 12 hrs straight. I then give myself a day off or a long weekend to off set that. Once it's just me at home, the hours won't matter much at all.

I guess technically I do. My business is on my property. I do a lot of paperwork from the house. I do everything from the physical work, including cleaning and laundry, all the way to advertising/marketing and bookkeeping/accounting. I guess we've developed a routine where for me, I do the chores in the house, have breakfast, then go down to my business building, spend several hours there, and come back to the house to do more chores and cook, watch TV for a few hours, do more chores then go to bed. My SO spends most of his time in the business building and does ground maintenance and feeding of horses. We work everyday, and do chores all day, pretty much 24/7/365. We have no life.

Does growing cannabis count?

Sure, why not? If it brings in income.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:323686
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.