Agnostic.com

41 11

Why did you get married?

And if you are not married but would like to be - why?

I ask this in a non-judgmental way. I am merely curious. In my experience, many of us are conditioned by society to believe it's necessary. As I've aged I've realized that isn't true for many of us.

Personally, I do not feel the need to get married. However, if I were to end up with a life partner who felt it was important, then we could go down to city hall and sign some paperwork. But by no means will I ever have a wedding!

NicThePoet 7 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never had any pressure that I had to get married. I met a lady and we hung out as friends. The more time I spent with her, the more I wanted it to be more serious. I married her in 1985, and we're still together. She is a wonderful person.

I would say have the reception and not the legal part ! Anyway, I got married at 27 because he was a nice guy and we got along great ! Turns out he was a mamma's boy, no spine, and I wasn't IN love with him. So I left him when my son was a year and a half, when I was 31. I'm 55 now and still single. No regrets. My son is awesome ! <3

I was young, and stupid, and raised on the religious pablum that this was expected of me based on my gender. It didn't last long, I never did it again & never darkened a church door after the divorce.

Today would have been my 29th wedding anniversary. I got married for 2 reasons. I loved him and for some reason getting married was important to him, so I went along. Added bonus, it got me out of my mother's house.

Had been living together for years in a committed relationship. She quit her job to student teach. Since this is fucking America and we don't have universal health care she needed to get on my health insurance so we got married.

Because I was in an abusive relationship with myself. I was the one saying "you'll never find anyone better, this is the best you can do, no one else will want you so take what you can get." Depression sucks. Why did I get divorced? Because I had finally had it. I tried. I tried hard. But it got to the point where it was go down with him or cut him lose. I chose me. And I'm so glad I did. Would I ever get married again? Maybe for the right person, but it is no longer a goal. I no longer think there's something wrong with me if I'm single. I wish we weren't brought up with the idea of you have to get married when you grow up and that getting married will fix all your problems. It won't.

Remi Level 7 Mar 5, 2018

Because of a discussion that got out of hand when I was 20 years old, totally drunk, and the bitch was so pushy, she rang her parents and all her friends before I regained conscioussness, and she would not let go. I like forceful women, but not like this. I so almost didn't show for the wedding, it was literally a toss of a coin.

First time it was to prevent her from being forced to return to rural Queensland and the restraints of a Catholic family (we were in love, just not fond of the marriage institution). Second time was because we loved each other. If I do it again it will be to raise more children. It is still easier if you're married.

Umm, probably because I did not think I was worthy and I'd end up alone unless I did it NOW.

I was wrong on every count.

I was living with my girlfriend, we purchased properties together, then we had twins, I was covered under her ins policy, after the kids were born they dropped me from her plan, so we drove down to Mexico and got married, it ended in divorce 3 years later

I knocked up some old gal.

Crazy in love + health insurance= practical.

I've not been married. Still, it's someting I desire, but I think that's my upbringing coming out more than anything. I don't believe anyone needs a piece of paper to tell them they love each other.

d_day Level 7 Mar 5, 2018

My husbands needed a passport.

As a father, my rights are much easier to assert if I am married to the mother of my children when they are born. If something happens pre- or post- birth then I have a much better claim on what happens from a medical and legal standpoint.

We didn't have a church wedding or church vows. We got married on a sailboat by the captain.

God sent us dolphins, a overflight of jet aircraft, a beautiful sunset, great friends, and pleasant weather.

Well, scratch the God part, lol. But it was pretty cool that things worked out that way.

I was pregnant and we had been living together for some time - so we got married in a registry office it was pretty much for the child to not be called names 1967 not particularly enlightned times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32383
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.