Agnostic.com

11 2

Is it possible to make new friends in your forties?!

Shaghaf 6 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it would be. But, not having been there myself and not having mastered it at my age, I cannot say for sure! heh

Yes. I make friends all the time. I'm 65. If new friends want to stay in touch after our respective paths separate, we do. I have friends from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's... I've tried to get in touch with people from the 50's, but no luck so far.

I am 6th term President of a Singles Social Group for over-55's, with around 100 Members, so I think I can speak with knowledge on this. Not only do we make a lot of new friends everywhere we go, but we all take naps to support our dancing, dining out, and general go-go-go-ing.
You cannot however make new friends sitting in your living room! Try Meetup, a world-wide site devoted to making social contacts, or volunteering, or going to the park & speaking to people!

I like what you're doing .and I'm not in any ways sitting in my living room, actually I miss just sitting and have nothing to do, but I'm so busy with full time job, one child and college . And in all these places I meet and talk with people, but this not exactly the kind of friends I'm asking about

@Shaghaf firm deep friendships come from enjoying the same things & plannig to do them together, I see this all the time in the Club

Why not? It's never, never too late.

Of course. And, I even defied conventional wisdom and made new friends in my 60s. The fifties, not so much. And my 70s, not yet but there is always Hope, if I can just find her. I hear she’s a very nice person.

It is possible to make friends as long as you are alive. After that, probably not.

Yes, maybe even more easily because you get better with practice.

Carin Level 8 Apr 3, 2019

Don't you think, people also become more picky and don't have time or enthusiasm to start new friendship !?

Ah kid, you're not washed up yet. Being forty (or sixty, or eighty) has nothing to do with it really. Of course people have different needs at different places in life and if you never got beyond concepts of socializing that involve drunken pub crawls and you're still trying to do that past your twenties then it might not go well ... but in principle, with modest self awareness and openness and common sense, age is no obstacle at all to friend-making.

Thank you for your comment. I agreed that , in theory, age has nothing to do with the concept of friendship . And for sure socializing for me doesn't mean get drunk and all that stuff. The question might be also, where and how people socialize these days!! Through social media ?! Through sports events !? I mean I work full time, my job requires me to communicate with people from around the world, a lot of them we have few things on common, and I'm doing pretty well in my job, and I care about all of them . But I'm asking about the kind of friend we need when we feel down, the friend who cares about us, and who understands us without much talking .. I hope I could clarify my point ( with my broken English ?)

@Shaghaf Your English is just fine!

It is often hard to connect with people, especially if you're looking for depth in friendships. But this is a problem at any age these days. Also, according to the science I've read on the topic, there is a tendency to bond with people you have a shared experience with in college and then when you get out into the work world that is harder to come by. In earlier times church helped provide this social cohesion. Today we have to make do with volunteer work, special interest meetups, and whatever other introductions we can get from social media that might convert to real life.

I don't have a real answer other than probably don't try too hard ... let it happen organically and in the meantime do your best to be the kind of person you want in a friend, extend yourself to others, take risks, be creative. I would also say, don't discount the value of more casual friendships. Personally I get a lot of lift from just being around people doing fun things, even if they wouldn't necessarily have my back in a crisis. Such friendships are important, too.

Of course. At age 65, I recently made four new women friends who are hikers.

I'm glad you mentioned that have made friendship with 4 women, I'm reading now an interesting book called " girlfriends- Enduring ties" talking how important is the friendship between women and how it's not recognized most of the time .

I just turned 40 and I'm feeling like I'm done of meeting new people. I have a couple of good old friends.

@kenriley awwwnnn ?.

I make new friends all the time. Why wouldnt you be able to? Not you personally but someone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:324037
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.