Agnostic.com

5 3

Paths of Evolutionary Glory

Why is it that birds have yet to evolve a set of arms like a flying monkey (Wizard of Oz... not any flying creature I know of)? I know most evolutionary paths are repurposing some other appendages like with whale fins or bat wings, but it would be really cool and evolution "does" cool quite well.

Along those same avian lines, most scavenger species of birds are able to eat rotting flesh because of a higher acidic content in there stomachs (and a unique bacteria found around their beaks iirc).

What might be the evolutionary advantages/disadvantages of humans having this capability?

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This sort of question seems to me like comparative-anatomy naïveté. Anatomically, bird wings are front limbs. They have a bone structure similar to other tetrapods' front limbs, and they develop embryonically like other tetrapod front limbs. This is also true of bat wings, and within fossil-evidence constraints, also true of pterosaur wings.

Insect wings, however, have a completely different origin, likely from gills.

Since the emergence of tetrapods some 400 million years ago in the mid-Devonian, no tetrapods have grown additional limbs, though some of them have lost some of their limbs.

Maybe a little naïveté, but mostly just some speculation of a fantastic nature. No telling what sort of extraterrestrial life forms may have evolved elsewhere.

Like that Icarus dude, but with the wings being actual biological appendages.

[i.pinimg.com]

I must concede a partial exception: elephants' trunks. But an elephant has only one trunk, a single one in front, and not one on each side of the body that extends from the spinal column. Furthermore, elephant trunks are extended noses that are all soft tissue.

Evolution doesn't produce new appendages. What's there changes. A 4 appendaged creature isn't going to become a 6 applendaged creature.

It would be interesting to know the precursors to spiders, centipedes and millipedes. Also, for crabs and other crustaceans. Was the leg count static?

I want my flying monkeys and birds with arms as well as wings and and feet! ?

In this regard, panarthopods (arthropods proper, onychophorans, tardigrades) are very different from vertebrates. They have two limbs on most of their segments, though in millipedes, most of their segments are fused to make segments with four limbs each.

Panarthropods vary a lot in how many segments they have, though many groups of panarthropods have fixed final numbers of segments.

Their limbs may be specialized as mouthparts or antennae, and they may also be lost. Regaining lost limbs is rare, but it has happened, like in caterpillars.

Vertebrates are also segmented, though it is less obvious. Backbones are segmented, along with associated parts like ribs and some muscles. Unlike vertebrate limbs, vertebrate backbones have a lot of variation in the numbers of vertebrae that they contain.

Like bats, the wings of birds are their arms. They have not and likely will not evolve more arms because each evolutionary step needs to be beneficial.

For bats, the majority of the wing is between their elongated fingers.

@WilliamCharles Yes. They can use them for grasping, climbing, feeding.

This was the design from the 70's . . .

THHA Level 7 Apr 4, 2019

Humans probably scavenged before they hunted. In theory eating meat allowed humans to grow larger brains that in turn led to the development of tools and weapons which allowed our ancestors to hunt.

JimG Level 8 Apr 4, 2019

But generally, everything is a trade off. What does a creature lose by the ability to digest putrescence?

@WilliamCharles in the case of vultures, perhaps the specialized diet gave them a food source with very little competition in exchange for the ability to forage multiple food sources. It also seems like they sacrificed speed in flight and perhaps the lethal talons that raptors have.

@WilliamCharles it might be that there is a physiological 'cost' in producing such strong acids and hosting virulent bacteria, ie. Thicker stomach lining, less efficient digestion, more amped up immune responses etc.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:324624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.