Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK States rights, esp the last story: Child brides: Heather was only 15 when she said 'I do'. She was also pregnant - BBC Three

Super interesting article, the worst of the worst about states right. Try to move past the painfully icky topic of child brides. In the last story a man gets a girl drunk and rapes a young teen, and she ends up pregnant. Her mom reports to police, social work is also involved. But her dad takes them to another state where one parent can give their child "permission" to marry, and she is forced to is able to marry her rapist. Dads underlying logic is religious, of course. The rapist just wants to stay out of jail, which is exactly how it works in states that allow that type of child marriage. But they return home, and though their marriage is legal, the rapist still goes to jail, for a few years. Dad also goes to jail, but only a few months, but still got held accountable for his religious beliefs vs his actual behavior..

So, for all the gay couple who could get married in some states but not others (pre 2015), cannabis users whose rights are local, abortion seekers who can get better care in one state but not it's neighbor.... or states that have extradition treaties for crimes (Like child rape) that are handled differently in different states... how does this work?

MarkiusMahamius 7 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Different states, different laws.

How does this work?

Poorly, it would seem.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 5, 2019

It was statutory rape, not necessarily forcible rape, as your synopsis implied. You can also see the pic of them posing together as she is pregnant. She became pregnant after meeting him at her 15th birthday party. She says they only had sex once - where she became pregnant. She is now 21, has 3 kids, and is remarried to another guy. Yes, already has 3 kids at age 21. Not condoning her or parents actions - just though I would add a bit of the details you conveniently left out of the summary.

What are you blaming her?

@jondspen She was drunk and has no memory, and there is no reason to think that's not straight up rape. There were other stories in the article that were probably "only" statutory rape. Agree there's some responsibility on young women who use fake IDs but there's more on men who just want to stick their dick in it. It's part of being an adult, and really not that difficult to say no, or to wait. But passed out/seriously drunk is something no man should get involved with. It's embarrassing that farm animals have more rights than young women.

@jondspen Youre referring to the first story in the article, not the last. My discussion was about the last.

@Jolanta Yes - I am. You don't think it was stupid of her to hang around with a man that is 9 years older than her? I remember when I was 15, I damn well knew that going out on Sat night with the college kids wasn't going to be milk shakes at the Dairy Queen. BTW - my parents knew it also, and didn't let me go out with them. If I lied and snuck out, it with was with the intention of doing shit that I knew I shouldn't be out doing. Yes - I was a kid, yes I didn't know all the dangers or details of why it was a bad idea, but I knew enough to realize that it wasn't smart or safe - I just knew it was going to be 'fun'. Part of the reason my girls made it well through their teen years is I told them point blank, I wasn't going to be able to supervise their every move, and in the end it was their life they could possibly fuck up really bad. They grew up with a sense of responsibility for their actions, and an understanding it was eventually up to them to safeguard themselves. They grew up with a healthy dose of fear to the reality of the world.

@MarkiusMahamius "farm animals have more rights than young women" - uhhh...no they don't. I can go out, murder and eat a farm animal - can't do that with a human, male or female. But you are correct, I didn't get past the first story. So girl goes out with fake ID, get's drunk, passes out - but it's up to society to safeguard her against bad stuff, although she can't take responsibility for herself enough to safeguard herself against evil and bad shit?!? It that what the second story is about? OK - no use for further discussion. That attitude and POV are complete opposite ends of the spectrum, and I know we won't see eye to eye on this. Like I said above, I raised my daughters to know it's not up to me, their mom, their friends, or strangers to to care and protect them - the responsibility lies on them. With the freedom to go out un-supervised, come the responsibility to be safe and smart in a bad and evil world, that wants to hurt and harm you. To think the world should and will change to not be dangerous is foolish. Even if you can get 99.999% of everyone to sign on to that utopia, there is still some who prey on the weak and stupid. That is the big difference between the left and the right - the left thinks the world needs to change so they can be irresponsible w/o consequences for questionable actions. That while they do the wrong thing, everyone else should do the right thing and not take advantage of them being stupid. The right realizes the individual should accept responsibility; that irresponsible and questionable actions very well may result in tragic consequences, and it's up to you to not be stupid enough to put yourself in that situation to start with.

@jondspen I agree there's lots a person can do to avoid predators like rapists, and I hope there's no one out there that thinks it's better to be a victim of rape, than to be responsible for being less stupid than your rapist (E.g. that girl should have had every right to get drunk and be raped, not her fault, blah blah blah). But that has nothing to do with the responsibility and guilt of her rapist. There are no shades of gray about his behavior, no matter how stupid she was.

But my main thought, even though this is a very touchy example, is the underlying theme that he could legally do something in one state but be prosecuted in another. He committed rape, and in another state, he could have married his child victim and swept the whole thing under the rug. But even though state recognize each other's marriage licenses, they don't recognize each other's laws about child rape. It's a weird set of rules. That was my main thought here. But its easy to get distracted by the general ickiness of the topic.

@jondspen I actually do not agree with you. Men need to take responsibility for the actions. I am sick and tired of them blaming women for being drunk. If a women or a girl is drunk you don't take advantage of it. Put her in a cab and get her home.

There's a reason it's called statutory rape. Young teenage girls are very easily manipulated. While they're old enough to make stupid decisions, that doesn't give grown men a pass to take advantage of them.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:324926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.