Agnostic.com

15 1

Being polite when confronted by the religious

How do you tackle your compulsion to ridicule religious people? I want to be kind but some of the things they say are so ridiculous!! How do you do it?? ????

Briskovich 4 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be smarter, you live in a religious world, learn about it, it's so easy to use their own religion against them

I don't tackle it because I don't have much of a compulsion there. I used to be one myself; it's easy to have compassion. If anything I have to push myself to be sufficiently frank and forthright as I was raised with "midwestern reserve". Its unspoken rule: If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.

So-called "new atheism" thinking helped me here. A lot of religious ideology survives because it has never been challenged or questioned, simply because it's taboo to question it in any way (indeed, not that long ago in many countries, you'd be subject to social sanction through blasphemy laws). So religion gets a free ride in the marketplace of ideas, enjoying unearned deference and respect.

I have found with my own family that when I gently but firmly debunk their beliefs, they run and hide and avoid the subject. They know there's no "there" there. I get zero pushback that way 😉

I don't engage. If I have to engage, I have to admit I fail at being polite a lot of the time. Especially if they're homophobic.

It doesn't happen often, since I generally don't keep that sort of company - but usually I'm polite ... as long as they remain so themselves !

For me, I tend to have the type of personality that refrains from making others feel poorly or have them feel bad or awkward about their thoughts. It doesn't do me or them any good for me to ridicule their beliefs no matter how silly or stupid they sound.
I believe that they can believe whatever they want, as long as they don't force their beliefs onto me and force me to accept those beliefs. And I expect them to respect my right to believe what I believe.
If they don't, they don't need to be in my life. They can go spread their stupidity elsewhere.

I have to admit that I was rude and later on i was just plain angry when confronted by religious people (they are still here). But, once I came to terms with what I really believed and it became my whole nature...they hardly bother me now! I really don't care what other people believe now. Their words just travel on dead air...as far as i am concerned! But, if I see harm being done, I will step up.

I don't waste my time with them. Period.

I used to provide well researched material and try to engage in honest dialog. But they proved to be incapable of that over the course of 3 years, so I'm giving up. 1 shot at respect, then mockery all the way.

This and dealing with trumpeters are two of my biggest weaknesses. I have the hardest time not engaging them. One of my favorite questions was inquiring about how copulation could create an eternal soul.

The truth is we all choose our own path to happiness. Some are just unfortunate enough to pick hard ones while others pick much easier ones to follow. If I can keep that mantra in my head then my empathy builds for them and I leave them alone. But it's not easy because they are soooo lost and such inviting targets.

Yes!!

I was talking about when be engaged by a believer.

I'm not polite at all I laugh in their face and say something really sarcastic like eeew you're gonna live forever in a magic mansion in the sky with golden streets and pearly gates. Bahaha you're fucking retarded. But not unless they try to push their bullshit on me. I live and let live but they don't preach at me twice. A woman approached me recently while I was sitting at a truck stop and she had a Bible and some flyers, before she could start I said I'm not interested in your religion. She asked if I have read the Bible, so I asked her if she's ever read a science book. Bahaha. She just walked off.

I can't, I just can't..

I can respect the beliefs of others if they can reapect mine. As soon as they become hypocritical about it I become mean and insulting, while telling truths about it

Tell yourself it's none of your business what other people believe and ask yourself if you'd be as eager to attack/correct a Hindu or Muslim person. If not, then your resentment could stem from feeling betrayed by your culture.

Another method I use is to mentally change religious words being spoken to me into acceptable ones; I.e. mentally change "God" into "higher consciousness" or "the universe," change "prayers" into "positive thoughts," and "church" into "social club."

Mostly, I ignore them. I do my best to avoid them.
If they get in my face with their bullshit, I make them stop.
If they won't let me be kind about it, I won't be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32518
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.