Agnostic.com

36 9

Have you ever gotten a kick out of an enemy’s misfortune?

I know I’m guilty of this as messed up as it sounds.

EmeraldJewel 7 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess it depends on one's definition of "enemy", if someone is an "enemy" over a petty reason or a serious one.
I feel no moral sorrow for those who suffer that have seriously hurt me or mine, none, zero, zippedy do dah- and think it's silly that anyone should. What are we, Jesus?
It isn't about being superior, it just is.

E.g. We had a vile elderly neighbor I could never rule out hadn't poisoned one of our dogs, among other things, but that frankly would be enough to make a lifelong enemy out of me.
Needless to say when he died I didn't shed a tear....

One of the boys who repeatedly physically attacked me in high school came to a very bad end as a young adult. I felt sad for his family but nothing when it came to him. It bothers me that I couldn't mourn the way everyone else could.

Why? I don't understand this. There are SO MANY worthwhile people in this world- in what universe does it make sense to waste your energy on someone who tortured you?

@Qualia There were a lot of things about his life none of us knew when we were in school together. He was an underloved kid whose hardscrabble existence informed his response to people around him.

I'm not letting him off the hook.

It should be noted that he was goaded on by a girl with low self esteem who thought she could get more social capital by claiming I was leering at her breasts and the best friend he looked up to whose own life was far more comfortable than his own. There were teachers at my school who saw them pin me against the walls in the hallway and shut their classroom doors. When a senior rescued me from them and took me to the office, the guidance counselor and the principal told me I should have been grateful for the male attention, that I probably really wanted it, and my hurt feelings didn't warrant ruining lives, I figured out what was rotten about this went beyond the kid who put his hands on me.

He was twisted and broken by life long before he actually died. Because he had achieved some fame, everyone was his best friend and remembered him fondly. It doesn't help or hurt him and it makes them feel better about themselves. I have nothing to gain by breaking that delusion. I never sought out anyone I knew from that time other than a couple of friends, anyway.

As for someone being worth the energy or not, I should say that "bothers" might be overstating it. I've worked as a counselor and social worker for almost thirty years. Trying to get people to see the worth in their own lives is something I do daily. Some of those lives are far more messed up than the guy who attacked me.

Here's the thing, Qualia: Forthe most part, I have been protected and loved. My father made sure I knew I was cared for, that I was smart, and that whoever I decided to be was someone he loved very much. Not everyone has that in their lives. Knowing that has always informed MY response to the world.

You mean Schadenfeude? It disgusts me and I think less of people who enjoy that.

I worked in a big store...was a young nobend there who knew everything (nothing) and fell so far it was not even funny....though I did laugh a lot..and long...sorry

No, because I don't consider having any enemies. I can't talk for those that I am their enemy but like I said... they are not enemy of mine.

Generally, no.

For them to be shown up for the liars/bullies/nasties they are, oh Hell Yes! For anyone to suffer illness or worse, Never!

I am surely an imperfect person, however I have never gotten even a good feeling from my enemies misfortunes. I can hardly laugh at misfortunes, that are also funny! I am torn! When I attended my children's football, basketball or any other sport...I was always proud when a kid on the opposite team, made a great play! I am the least competitive person that I know.

Just listened to a podcast on this! [npr.org]

Of course. I'm not a particularly nice person, though.

What does that have to do with being nice though. I'm sweet as pie to mine but Gawd help you if you F*** with my kid or pets.

That you have enemies, That is messed up.
Makes you sound dramatic or maniacal.
So which is it?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32526
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.