Agnostic.com

12 3

Do you still say "bless you" when someone sneezes?

I stopped saying it a few years ago when I asked myself why people say it at all because there aren't any such sayings for other bodily functions. So really, I didn't even stop saying it because of ties to anything religious, but because it's an antiquated notion. Surely no one still believes that you can sneeze your soul out, or that demons and evil spirits use a sneeze as an opportunity to possess you, or that the devil can take your soul during a sneeze, or that you won't end up catching the plague if someone says it....right?

TheInfiniteChris 5 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Often, I do. Sometimes I respond with a, "You are so good looking!"

I always say god bless you, just as I day please and thank you. It's more about manners for me than about whether or not there is a god to bless you.

Unity Level 7 Mar 28, 2019

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I say it out off habit. It seems like something we could get rid of though. We don't bless people when they cough (maybe some do) or fart...lol

@Cabsmom Perhaps it's the person next to the farter that needs the blessing!

I like the word "bless." It’s one of the few words I know that “confer prosperity or happiness upon someone.” I am aware of the religious implications, but like the etymology of so many words, meanings have changed over time. Language is a living entity, and some of these words evoke our better angels. That makes them worth using.

I say it because it is a socially accepted behavior, and I view it is a secular adaptation of something that historically started as a religious practice.

I do not say anything. I have to admit though, it feels a little rude.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 5, 2018

I feel the same way, but then i remind myself why i don't say it and mentally prepare to be chastised for not saying it.

I say 'bless you' cuz I can never remember how to say 'gesundheit' lol! To me it's also like saying 'merry christmas' and 'happy easter'. These are religious holidays but I was raised to see them as just holidays. Occasions. Saying 'bless you' to me is also like when someone says 'excuse me' and I say 'sure' or 'of course' or 'you're excused'. Manors are important to me. I also say 'thank gawd'. It's just figure of speach to me.

I have no issues with "merry Christmas" or "happy Easter". I still celebrate Christmas though for me it's just a holiday to celebrate friends and family. Easter is a little different. I don't celebrate it but both my parents are believers so they still get me a basket, haha

I say gesundheit. Bless you was a hard habit to break, but I dropped the use of it a few years ago.

I give them three "bless yous." So if they sneeze three times, I’ll give the three separate bless yous. However... if they keep sneezing beyond that, then I wait until their done and give them one blanket “Bless you.” I’ve only got a limited amount, and the weekend is coming up so I’ve got to save some of them.

My grandmother always said "keep the change" when someone sneezed and I have always said it which usually gets a good laugh.

I might have to use that, haha

What's your reasoning behind it?

It's polite-gotbleshyou-lol

So do I.

I find that question funny because saying bless you has always been so automatic! It's weird how so many things in our lives are just rote.

Exactly. I always just said it because i was taught that it was polite to do so. It wasn't until i asked myself why that i decided to research it. Nowadays it seems like that's the only reason people say it but to me there's no reasoning behind why it's polite.

Yep, it's habit. I don't care about the religious connotations.

I don't either, haha. I stopped saying it because i don't believe the meanings behind it, therefore making the gesture pointless to me.

Same here

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32757
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.