Agnostic.com

27 5

We talk about movies and music a lot but never art so, what is your favorite piece of art? Sculpture, painting or anything else not movie, music related.

Crimson67 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know that I have one favorite piece of art, but I have a favorite style. I love post-impressionism art nouveau, particularly French poster art. Henri Toulouse-Lautrec is probably my favorite artist closely followed by Alphonse Mucha.

It's going to sound so cliche and expected, but I truly do love van Gogh's The Starry Night, and I appreciate most of his other works. I love his use of color. I find Frida Kalo interesting as well.

I like his wheat fields with crows. Haunting...

I love architecture more than art, I think. I've seen the Lourve, and while I loved the stuff on the inside(Mona Lisa, anyone??), the actual building was amazing! The gargoyles were my favorite. St. George ( I think it was St . George) castle in Lisbon, Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia Bascilica in Barcelona. While not religous, I love to visit old churches. Now if I had to pick a museum, the Musee d'Orsay in Paris is one of my favorites because I do love a good Monet'!

I am a huge fan of modern art and of a lot of sculpture. I could not possibly name just one piece, but definitely favor A. Giacometti's, especislly his lone cat (which was based on his brother Diego's):

Zster Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

I like photography. The photos of the large waves crashing on lighthouses. Photos from the Hubble. One of my favorite paintings is Hokusai's 'The Great Wave Off Kanagawa'.

The scream - Edvard Munch

It would be hard to choose a favorite, but I am in a Monet kind of mood right now.

JimG Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

Art)Mona Lisa, Skull of a Skeleton with Burning Cigarette, Blue boy etc.. Poems) Dickinson , Tinnyson Thoreau? Whitman etc. Authors) many Photos) Adams, Music) any but rap Movie) all from G ot NA. Am a poet my self BTW

The old guitarist by Pablo Picasso.

Roman Level 5 Mar 5, 2018

Van goh 'starry night' french impressionism is on the list also.there is an andrew wyath painting in the art museum here where I live, and they did a wonderful job siting it in the museum. it is at the end of the wing and you can see it from a long way off. just a wonderful piece.

I saw someone do a reinterpretation of The Scream at Western Oregon University. I saw it from about 100' feet away out of the corner of my eye and it caught me. It was amazing. This was about 30 years ago...still remember it. I am a huge fan of H.R. Giger, but I don't like his sexually orientated stuff as much, for some reason...I feel it grounds it, takes something ethereal and makes it pedestrian.

I love the Angel of the North and the people on the beach at Crosby by Anthony Gormley.

I've always had an affection for the macabre, so I love the artwork of Edward Gorey. Plus, he did a lot of cats. Always a plus.

I don't know a lot about art, but I know what I like. 🙂

That's all you really need to know.

I can't begin to narrow that down to a single favorite. a great impossible question tho. so I'm just going to say Robert Rauschenberg, Alexander Calder, Marcel Duchamp, Mark Rothko, Wayne Thiebaud, Edward Hopper, and Leonardo of course. there are just too many...

what about you @Crimson67? favorites?

@Crimson67. nice list. very.

I can't say that I'm big on any particular artist but do come across pictures that resonate for some reason. One in question would be Munch's Scream. I even had a little go at a charcoal sketch of it 🙂

Anything by Michelangelo, John Heartfield, Artemisia Gentileschia and the Impressionists. Like lots of artists but those spring to mind. Rodin too.

I am a huge fan of modern art and of a lot of sculpture. I could not possibly name just one piece, but definitely favor A. Giacometti's, especislly his lone cat (which was based on his brother Diego's):

Zster Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

David and many other works the world over.Travel has given me the opportunity to visit many of the art museums of Europe,Asia and the USA. I like the old masters and many of the artists of the USA.I listen to the old masters in music as well as I do not care for modern composers and music that does not carry a melody.

It is more a whole school of artists:The Dutch Golde Age fr4om the 17 th Century: Peter De Hoog, Frans Hals, Jan Steen,etc. And why? Because the faces looks so familiar, like aunts and uncles, and the scenes could have been painted at our relatives' houses. I go to the Memorial Arts Museum in Rochester when I get too homesick. They have quite a selection of these paintings.

Almost everything Andy Goldsworthy creates. Sometimes he works in wood, stone and clay but his works using ice, leaves and flowers are breathtaking. I love the impermanence of his sculptres and creations. Many only exist for mere moments, but they are powerful and moving. There are many wonderful books of photographs of his work and a documentary as well.

Once, I stood in front of Van Gogh's olive garden and felt I could wander into that grove between the trees.

Anything by Van Gogh.

Nature is the best of all....... beautiful

I'll tell you my most un-favourite one.

It's that glass man from Nazi times that they keep in Berlin.

Creepy!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32763
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.