Agnostic.com

37 3

Do you meditate?

As atheists, do you meditate or do you consider it as a practice of religious origin and avoid it altogether?

Thank you

tsallinia 6 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't, but I don't consider it necessarily religious either. The reason I don't is I'm told it's calming and leads to a sense of acceptance; I feel it's better to be angry and want to change that which pisses me off.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 9, 2019

I'd like to make meditation a more regular practice for health benefits. It doesn't mean I attribute those benefits to a magical man in the clouds. 🙂

What about meditation within the Buddhist content, that is to say discovering the impermanence of things etc

Yes I have and I do.

Usually focusing on breath. It will chill you right out. Which is generally the purpose of most meditation - though if done for religious reasons I'm sure that can vary.

Yes,I do. And practice self hypnosis.started with TM but evolved into next level through mindfulness and SPP

This morning, during my meditation, I remembered that YouTube has a lot of guided meditations you can do and meditation music.
I just mute the ads in the beginning till the meditation starts.

I started about a year ago. A short one in the morning and a longer one just before bed. I tend to take things seriously and need to find a way to "chill out" a bit and it does help.

i was into meditation when i was much younger. haven't tried it much over the last few yrs; but i think we lose our ability to let our minds clear when we get older.
garbage in--garbage out.. but unfortunately a lot of the garbage seems to stay.

I take several pills... oh, sorry. No, I do not. I occasionally use its cousin, hypnosis. Neither have anything to do with religion. I have heard that some people think of prayer as a form of meditation.

I don't meditate, but I also do not consider it a religious practice. To the extent that there is evidence that meditation can reduce the effects of stress both psychologically and physically, I think it's a good thing. I just cannot shut down all the different strains of thought going through my mind at a single time -- not to mention the fact that I cannot sit still. Fortunately, it has been found that concentrating the mind by doing things such as knitting and even coloring has the same effect on the brain waves. So I knit.

With no intent to fall into a recursive loop, I think we call it thinking and thinking make us think, which can be interpreted as some sort of meditation...I think

I'm certain some atheists do what could be considered "meditation".

Personally, I have no need of such a thing.

I meditate twice a day, if possible. It keeps my mind clear and open. It also helps my body to stay in shape.

@Remowill It's nice that it works for you. I think it's nonsense.
To each their own.

@KKGator it work for a lot of people.

@Remowill Yippee for them. People can convince themselves of anything.
Like I said, to each their own.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:327888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.