Agnostic.com

7 3

A while back I posted the following on a Christian message board....

The Mother of All Reasons Why Jesus' Miracles Are Bogus.
Throughout the Gospels Jesus goes around casting out Demons.
Do Demons exist?
I am confident that demons are imaginary creatures.
Is it a miracle to cast out an imaginary creature?
If the casting out of imaginary creatures demonstrates the validity of Jesus' miracle power, then it casts serious doubt on all the rest of his supposed miracles.
My Christian friends......if you want to believe in Jesus' miracles, I fear that you will have to argue that Demons actually exist.

The funny thing is that the Christians who answered said Demons exist.
?

nicknotes 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Conversion disorder.

Also group psychosis.

However this won't help your argument if they choose to believe their woo.

In the Christian tradition, to cast out a devil (or demon) was a demonstration of one's divine credentials. The demons, or lesser devils, were always known to be Satan's servants, and, according to tradition, may be angels who joined Lucifer in his unsuccessful heavenly coup attempt. All of this makes for a wonderful fairy tale, but we must also keep in mind that without the Devil, there is no Christianity. The Devil is the keystone in the arch, without whom the Christian faith crumbles. Remove from the Bible the story of Eve's encounter with the Serpent and Adam's fall (or original sin), and there is no reason or purpose for the plan of salvation or the New Testament story. No Satan, no Christ.

Take away the miracles and Jesus just becomes your provertal 'good man'. So for Xians the miracles they must have.

Growing up in Haiti, with most people involved in voodoo, I definitely saw "demons" or whatever it was; people suddenly going berserk, where some little girl would sling three adult men across the room, sometimes we'd hear something banging inside a closet, footsteps running up and down the hall, the sound of rocks hitting the roof, animals falling dead suddenly the moment someone "cast a demon" out of someone, things floating in the air, articles disappearing and reappearing later in very weird places, something waking both me and my friends up in the night, choking us, etc.

Whenever these things occurred, we'd use the "name of Jesus" to command them to go, or to stop the manifestation, and it instantly would. Later, when some of these things started to occur in the US, I'd had enough..I simply told any bad stuff to stop happening, and it would..no religion involved.

I also noticed that these bad things mostly happened with people who believed in them; I.e., I seldom saw them happen with atheists, except for once in 1968, at Union School, the Port-au-Prince, Haiti, diplomat children's school, and there were several people present who believed in spirits, so could have been the ones subconsciously manifesting the weird happenings.

Since we are matter, which is energy, and we are involved creating our own realities, I suppose we are the ones doing it, except that alleged secret government whistle blowers like Simon Parkes say that "demons" are energy beings that exist simultaneously in both our 3rd dimension, and the 4rth dimension, which is why they can sometimes be seen, even photographed, but usually seem to turn into smoke and vanish.

He, and others like him, say that these beings occupied earth first and resent humans taking over their planet, so keep making bargains with humans to give them powers to hurt others through spells.
Dunno.
I listen, read,, consider them, wonder if there is some truth in all the theories.
One thing I observed is that people who mess with the "demons" often go insane, including several friends of mine who were just "having fun" messing with spells. Of course, I don't know if they were insane to begin with, which is why they did it.

I'm surprised that as an Atheist you could believe in Demons. I don't believe in anything supernatural. There is no credible evidence for the supernatural. IMO the mind plays tricks...and people see delusions.

@nicknotes LOL!

You only think matter exists? I believe Einstein; all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form. No reason to think energy beings don't exist, and quantum physics already tells us different dimensions exist.

"For us believing physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein.

Besides, physics indicates that we are participating in creating our own universes/reality, so there's nothing "woo" about it. People can manipulate energy in ways that others may perceive as impossible.

“I regard consciousness as fundamental and matter as derivative from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

@birdingnut Given that none of us has all the answers, it should come as no surprise that even Nobel laureates have said or believed a number of things with which we cannot agree. But to credit demonic possession, spells, and, of all people, the insane Simon Parkes, who claimed that his true mother was a 9 ft green extraterrestrial and that he had sex with an alien he called ‘the Cat Queen’ and fathered a hybrid child named Zarka—now that is the epitome of woo! It is no coincidence that these so-called possessions typically occur where superstition runs the highest, and development and education is typically low.

@pnullifidian Theoretically, anything and everything can and does exist in some dimension, and as for Simon Parkes, both his parents worked for the MI6 and the US, and Simon has the highest government clearance, and his mom's job was to delete UFO reports from the internet. He never said his earth mom was a reptilian, but that his "soul" came from an alien. As for people saying they've mated with aliens, some of my own friends say that happened to them, and they are perfectly sane, I've seen UFOs so many times, while accompanied by my friends and family, I know they exist. Only in American do people obediently take the government's position that everything "alien" is "swamp gas."

@birdingnut Sorry, but you're corresponding with someone whose career was spent in windowless government buildings. Just because someone's been granted a clearance doesn't make them lucid. Aliens, UFOs, the Illuminati and other conspiracy theories are a type of religion about which we should remain skeptical. As Neil deGrasse Tyson said, "Remember what the 'U' stands for in UFO?" "Call me when you have a dinner date with an alien."

@pnullifidian Whatever, Dude. I know what I saw and experienced. Americans are so weird. In other countries such things are taken for granted.

@birdingnut "Americans are so weird." Indeed! I resemble that remark! 😉

@pnullifidian Try watching the documentary "Unacknowleged," (found on Netflix and youtube) with videos of US presidents, leaders, NSA agents, astronauts, and scientists discussing how the US government is hiding information about advanced alien technology, have been involved in time travel and inplantetary travel since WW ll.

There were even video clips showing President Obama and HIllary being questioned about the hidden UFO files, and implying that it was so, but they weren't going to talk about it.

I kind of think there are demons but not as entities that exist beyond our minds. Many people have demons, arising from trauma, life experiences, life choices gone bad. When those things overwhelm the good in us, psychopathology can "possess" us. Descriptions of demon possession often have a lot in common with symptoms of severe mental illness. Hundreds of years ago, schizophrenia, psychopathy or paranoid delusions probably could not be understood by people as anything but "possession" by some demonic spirit.

What is "psychopathy"?

I don't believe in god, angels, heaven, hell, Satan, or miracles, but my demons are real. 😀

JimG Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

And that surprises you?

Most christian religions have exorcists to cast out demons.They thrive on lots of supernatural critters - angels, demons, archangels, devils and a supersupernatural god that is more supernatural than the other supernaturals.

Of course they believe in demons.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32876
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.