Agnostic.com

5 4

Religious People On Dating Websites Are All Like...

"I'm looking for a long-term relationship, I'm interested in meeting an atheist, the last book I read was by Joyce Meyer."

Say WHAT?

If you're reading books by somebody like Joyce Meyer, you're not really interested in meeting atheists. At best, you're thinking, "Once I meet someone really nice, if they happen to be an atheist, I can bring them to God. And then we'll be so happy."

People really need to be honest with themselves before they're ready to meet someone else.

Paul4747 8 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had to Google Joyce Meyer.
I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing who she is, and I would have been completely content in my ignorance of her existence.

I can't get through one day of work without seeing one of her books in someone's hands or sitting on a shelf as a "gift" for someone to pick up and read. That's how the charismatics do things; they figure that if they leave Bibles and books and pamphlets in random places, "God" will see to it that the right person will pick one up and read it.

Not sure how they account for it when I scoop them up and toss them in the trash. Probably I'm an agent of the Devil.

@Paul4747 Always loved that the Church Lady on SNL was played by a gay man, how ironic...

@TomMcGiverin Dana Carvey isn't a gay man. You have been misinformed.

@KKGator Guess I was then. No offense meant.

@TomMcGiverin No worries. I certainly wasn't offended, and I sincerely doubt he would ever know.
I just try to keep things factual whenever possible.

@KKGator Sounds good. I always Carvey on SNL and thought he was very funny, as was his sidekick Mike Myers.

i don't know joyce meyer. i can imagine, though. anyway i don't hang out on dating websites (for me, this isn't a dating website). i have my guy until his alzheimer's takes him away from me.

g

Short answer: Joyce Meyer (born Pauline Joyce Hutchison; June 4, 1943) is an American Charismatic Christian author and speaker and president of Joyce Meyer Ministries.

Long answer: see here. [en.wikipedia.org]

@Paul4747 oh that's play; the short answer was pretty much what i imagined, thanks 🙂)

g

Here in central Iowa, most people don't honestly know what Agnostic means, so I don't bother listing myself as that on Batch in my profile. In the checklist of traits part of the profile, one of the categories you can use to ID yourself on religion is Spiritual, But Not Religious. I use that one, which is become sort of the code word on Batch for indicating that either you are not religious or else a non-believer. When you look at someone's profile, you can also see which categories of religious preference they are looking for in someone to date. Only about 25% of the women my age in my area are looking for someone or will accept someone who is Spiritual, but Not Religous. The whole term makes me cringe, but that's how the game is played here. Once in a blue moon I run across a woman's profile on Batch from my area that's my age identifying as an Agnostic, which I'm sure most of the men that see it have no idea what it means and probably don't care as long as she's hot- looking.

I'm asked only occasionally by others what my religious beliefs are and I reply, "I'm not religious." I told someone recently I'd been on Agnostic.com and they applauded me for not being an atheist. I AM an atheist, a stauch atheist.

It's frustrating being judged negatively even though my lifestyle and the way I treat others far exceeds theirs.

@ElusiveMoby That's just the way it is with most Christians, or any group for that matter where they know they are part of the huge and dominant majority of the local culture and population. They have a smug and superior attitude towards others that are different because they are in the majority and those others aren't. Similar to racial attitudes among some whites in America, esp. states that are mostly white.

There will be those who do and those who don’t. There will be people on religious website who are not religious, just lonely too.

I know that trick wouldn't work on me. I would the opposite would be true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:329775
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.