Agnostic.com

17 2

Is sexism against women a larger social problem than sexism to men?

Female Founders Got 2% of Venture Capital Dollars in 2017
[fortune.com]

JeffB 6 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the current world, yes it is.

Absolutely

Just look at the numbers. Women are slightly over 50% of the population. What percentage are in elected office? In executive roles? It is very disproportionate, and even more so if you take race into account.

Ahhhhh.....yes. Most definitely. This problem has always been and still remains, though not as bad as before. We can hope that equality between the sexes will continue to improve. So glad I did not grow up in the 60s or before. I have wondered for so long why men felt it was okay to oppress women. It never made sense. Thank goodness for the men who have enough good sense to show respect and fairness to the opposite sex.

This question is a lot like the black lives matter, then you have all these other groups of "lives matter" BLM became a thing because of the lack of comsideration for blacks by law enforcemennt. if it werent for BLM none of these others would have even arose. If there were no sexist towards women then there wouldnt even be a thought about sexist towards men.

Agreed, like someone who is black can be the only true speaker of what it means to be black, a man cannot experience what daily life is like for a woman and how we are treated.

It is rare for a woman to escape daily sexism. The worst part is when OTHER women call being sexually harassed, "being called pretty" and participate in demeaning women who don't like it.

It amazes me that you can even ask. Of course it is. Pay attention.

Oh, yes -- in every sense.

Yes. I agree there is a serious problem of sexism against men and toxic masculinity problem, but it is not as widespread and deadly

I posted this only because I've seen a few members posting questions related to sexism that I think starts the conversation off in the wrong spot. "Can women be sexist?" And "Pay equality" for women in one specific situation."
This question should be rhetorical for anyone that is looking into it even a little.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 5, 2018

Don't worry, it's very clear from the link in the post and your subsequent comments the question is rhetorical and you're not suggesting that sexism towards women is overblown 🙂

@Jnei I've seen some boarderline anti women post and comments on this site. But so far, none of those members want to start a conversation with this question. But the day is young.

I'd say so, yes. There are a few strong examples of sexism against men (the criminal justice system, for example) but there are so many more against women (pay gap, glass ceiling, tax on hygiene products... So on).

Depends on what it is.

Can you elaborate?

Yes.

Well, women are far more likely to be victims of domestic violence and rape, are still paid less than men in many societies, are still considered to be property of men in many societies, still face greater obstacles in rising to the top of many companies than equally-qualified (and even less-qualified) men, are still under-represented in politics, science, engineering and many other fields and are still evaluated to a large degree on looks rather than ability.

So I'd say yes.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

@Akfishlady it was kinda hard to hit "like" on that comment.

@Akfishlady Makes you wonder how often employers manage to keep it quiet, doesn't it?

@JeffB I was wishing we had a "I hear ya" button - "like" definitely isn't quite the right reaction here!

Actually, women tend to be the aggressor more often against spouses and children per a CDC study. Also if you include prison rape, men are 30% more likely to be raped than women. Also the wage gap is a myth, if it weren't i would only hire women. You can't own people here legally. Women tend to hold the power over men in relationships for a myriad of reasons. Dismissing the reality of inequality agaist men is not a strong foundation for the third wave secist feminist movement. This is just the United States that I'm referring to.

@jayneonacobb I would like to see specific sources for the data you present. I don't think including the incarcerated in an assessment of domestic violence against men is valid. People in jail/prison have been removed from general society and are not representative of overall social behavior. Data has shown the persistence of the male/female wage gap for years. Can you tell me what the "third wave secist feminist revolution" is? It sounds like a nonsense term that Rush Limbaugh would create to inflame anger in the male population.

@citronella look it up, fbi.gov cdc.gov I'm not doing the research you should have done before forming an opinion.

@citronella I'm not going to type my reply because @Citronella has put it better than I ever could.

yes. Strong women turn off some men. Examples: Rosie O Donnell,Whoopie Goldberg. Oprah Winfrey, Ellen Degenerous, Kathy Griffin, My ex despises these strong and powerful women.

Is that why he's your ex?

Over 20 years divorced.

Good thing he's your ex. Strong and intelligent women turn my crank. It's why I married the babe I call my wife, so not ALL men are knuckle-walkers.

People lie but numbers don't!

People mislead with numbers.

@Rhetoric perhaps, but the numbers themselves do not lie. People are much better at misleading with words.

@Rhetoric not as much as people mislead people by making up numbers. And numbers are usually hard data supported by actual hard data. Just google for census data of pay gaps.

In both AUS and UK, there is hard data that support the claim women are paid less than men. In AUS, the data was sourced from the last census. In the UK, the data was sourced from the new law that requires employers to record and submit pay wages data. I posted these links before in another comment that debated whether the pay gap was an illusion. I know they exist.

Does the US have similar data?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32983
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.