Agnostic.com

18 8

A new world

If you could get on a star ship and emmigrate to a new world, Menshara class, unpolluted with like minded people to start a new civilization would you go?

misstuffy 7 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’d rather stay and make fun of the religious folk.

They will need inovative farmers so, i know my invitation will be in the mail. I would accept, the challenge and adventure potential would be to much for me to refuse.

As a fellow farmer I welcome your presence. I got into goats because they were an eco friendly way to clear unwanted weeds and brush from my land and I have fallen in love with the business and yes, inovative farmers will be key. The old ways, plowing fence row to fence row don't work anymore and spraying chemicals is not the answer either.

I really really love the idea of a new world, one where we could create a new society based on common sense, science and logic and design our cities to be ecofriendly and our farms as well and our homes from natural stone and glass, metals and woods and use building techniques that allow these buildings to be energy efficient. People could have large spacious homes and kids go to school via the net and (just gather for testing in a building so they can't cheat) If we are spending our resources to learn and take care of our people instead of building war machines and expanding our knowledge. I would love to live on a world like that.
I am really enjoying dreaming with the rest of you who still have the power of imagination in you.

I love a challenge and starting from scratch in a new solar system all my Sci/Fi dreams would come true.

Love it. I have cooked up all kinds of house scenarios in my head taking from ancient archaelogical finds, homes carved out of the living rock of a stone bedrock wall, cordwood, berm, etc. utilizing geo thermal, wind or solar power. So many options.

No. Variety is the spice of life.

I believe there is plenty of variety within our group. Only a handful of us are farmers, we represent every race and sexual orientation as well as religious/ethnic backgrounds. We are indeed a spicey group!

Nah. Everyone else would be all like "lets live in nature and frolick" and I would be left with the job of fixing all the stuff that breaks, but I wouldnt be able to just buy spare parts I would have to make them.

Therefore, every project I work on would be much smaller compared to me staying back home. I wouldnt be building a new civilization I would be just copying what my old civilization did a 1000 years earlier.

Also, I doubt it would have coffee.

Ideally we would take the best of the old and the new and combine them to suit ourselves.

No, I fear the thought, look what we have done to our planet in such a short time. I would probably sabotage the ship to stop it reaching there.

But we hopefully have learned enough to not repeat our mistakes in that area.

@misstuffy Which is why we would want to get away from our planet? The difference between the glass half empty and the glass half full? The half empty one has a fly in it. I am somewhat of a pessimist in regard to human behavior.

@Rugglesby There's also Schroedingers cat, think of the new world like that.

@misstuffy poor Fluffy. Caught between a theoretical paradox and reality.

@Rugglesby True, but we could open that box!

I think I would get bored. As fucked up as this place is it ain't boring, except for Kansas, Iowa, and North Dakota.

Gee thanks, I happen to live in Iowa and its not boring here.

@misstuffy Been there, it is.

And I live in kansas.

@misstuffy and see where he lives. Texas. I was told there's only steers and ? In Texas. Just joking sticks48

@trois2005 My uncle raised purebred polled hereford cattle in a Seguin TX ranch

@Sticks48 I live here and I know better

@trois2005 I lived there too. The geographical center of the lower 48. We use to joke it was equal distance from any other place you'd rather be.Then I went to North Dakota. We were wrong. 🙂

@trois2005 You are not far off the mark.

@Sticks48 Regardless, there would be no time to be bored with a new world. Everyone would have to pitch in to build structures and set up farms and map the place, daily chores such as laundry and cooking, lots of lively debate as decisions are made regarding how we want our new society to work.

@misstuffy Too much work for me. It would probably be as big of a mess as this place.

I would definitely go. Space travel and going to a new world. Ever since I first saw Star Trek at the age of of seven I always wondered about the possibility..

I have always wanted to go so bad it isn’t funny. Love Star Trek too and Uhura. I know she is considered a breakthrough for being a black bridge officer but she was also a breakthrough for being a female bridge officer and a hero to little SCIFI freak girls of all races.

I would love to go but at my current age probably not a good candidate.

Im nearly 57, how old are you?

@misstuffy 47

@Donna_I and we are both in Iowa!

@misstuffy and dreaming of other worlds! Lol!

Does Menshara mean M Class planet? G Class star? If so, it sounds good, save for one thing. How would we get there? Generational ship? Cryosleep? FTL travel?

(Naw, I'm not a SF writer, whatever gave you that idea?)

Yes Menshara is M class, habitable for human life. Usually around a star like our own in a sweet spot so not tidally locked. As far as HOW we get there, we are on the brink of a breakthrough for interstellar travel, if we had Star Treks Warp drive I'd be tickled, my preference, next would be cryo sleep as I would actually like to reach that new world myself.

Please keep in mind this is supposition. I am a dreamer who sees the worlds painted by Asimoc, Clarke, Poulson, Roddenberry not as far fetched as they once were. Look at the technology we have access to now. Roddenberry had futurists hired to tell him what kind of technical advancements were realistic and if you do a comparison between what we have now and what he envisioned as "normal" in his futuristic Federation the two are amazingy parallel. If there was a Menshara class world where we could start over I would be jumping the line to go.

Can we just put all the idiots, the nazis, the racists, the mysoginists, the fundamentalists, the violent assholes, the Trumps etc. into the star ship, Menshara class, and send them off to said planet, and have the kind and reasonable people stay here on this wonderful planet and maybe not ruin it ultrafast any more?

I say let them stay here and let us go off to the pristine new world.

I would go to any new world out of curiosity

Love it, love seeing people with the kind of personality to explore.

Nope. I ain't leaving.

Anything to get off of this planet but at this point I reject the only way for certain that can happen.

You mean biting the dust?

@misstuffy Death is the only way for certain I know of. I guess one could live on the ISS but I would reject that also because one would depend on this planet for survival.

@jlynn37 That and the lack of gravity wreaks havoc with your bone density and you have to spend hours a day just exercising to remain healthy.

If I could take my kids and dog,yes.

I have two house cats, a herd of horses and ponies that would be useful there and a herd of meat goats and adding back in a milk goat soon. We would need livestock people and livestock as well as crop farmers and specialty farmers, craftsman and all kinds of tradespeople. And of course children, as long as a genius level IQ is not a prerequisite I'm good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33006
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.