Agnostic.com

10 6

LINK What huh? Jurors Thought a Gay Man Would Enjoy Prison. So They Sentenced Him to Death. – Mother Jones

"During deliberations, some jurors wondered if life in prison would be punishment at all, suggesting that years in a men’s prison might not be a hardship for a man who is gay. The jurors sentenced him to death." So.... weird as this is, can jurors use their instructions about life imprisonment vs the death penalty, to decide how to exact more punishment on someone? Regardless of actual civil rights?

MarkiusMahamius 7 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So he is not arguing that he actually killed a man as he begged for his life...a 22 year old young man...he is arguing whether he gets to spend his life in prison until he dies or be on death row in South Dakota because some of the jurors thought keeping him alive would not be justifiable punishment since he was gay and might enjoy prison?

Sorry...but his killing another person overrides any rights he has as a human being...he gave those up when he took the rights away from another...it doesn't matter if he was a gay, black, a woman or whatever...murderer first and the family was happy with the sentence so that is fine with me as well...

sorry - what civil rights? you are placing western judicial concepts on top of medieval muslim dogma

Delusional

bobwjr Level 10 May 25, 2019

It's more proof that human beings practice delusional thinking when they cling to their pre-civilazation religious beliefs.

Apparently several of the jurors thought that being locked up and having sex would be a fun thing . . .

Do they think straight women like being raped?

It's very likely many men believe that's true.

When I was a teenager those Assholes defined rape as assault with a friendly weapon wonder how they would feel with bubba coming up behind them with his friendly weapon

when raped - it is the womans fault for tempting the man beyond his endurance - she may, in some countries, be stoned to death

@ShadowAmicus Everything is our fault!

Oh well. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

I fail to see how this has anything to do with time. If anything one could argue that ANYONE could make prison their place and therefore everyone who commits a crime and will serve should just be killed.

From my perspective as an Atheist: It makes more sense to keep someone alive with a life-sentence whilst piping the same Enya song over and over into their cell than terminating their existence ASAP. I'm clearly being influenced by an old South Park episode, but I stand by what I said.

Wow. Is it in all America that jurors decide sentencing or just certain states? I naively thought that was the job of the judiciary!

As far as i know, the same jury that decides the case, also makes the determination of "death penalty" vs "life in prison". They aren't involved in sentencing for other 8ssues.

Well that man wasn't judged by his peers.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 13, 2019

That was actually my very first thought. But looking a jury selection rules, being a peer is a way to be excluded from the pool too. I hope this makes it to the SCOTUS, eventually.

@MarkiusMahamius I believe SCOTUS has already declined it, based on a NY Times article I also saw on this site. Someone posted it just a few posts prior to this one in the 'General & Hellos."

@dkp93 actually i posted this a day earlier, but i don't know how admin decides what appears in the feed. I picked this up off the ACLU website, they were part of the filing process.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:330114
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.