Agnostic.com

11 3

"So many black families spend all of their time trying to fix the problems of the past. That's the curse of being black and poor,and it is a curse that follows from generation to generation. My mother calls the black tax" Trevor Noah in his book Born a crime. This speaks volumes to me. What about you?

Humanlove 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Our salvation will be the browning of America. Even now, television commercials show inter racial couples where it once was controversial. The next generation will be even closer to absolving this issue. We are only 150 years from emancipation & only 60 years from the abolishon of Jim Crow. We as Americans based our slave culture on race where other slave holding nations based/base it on economic status or birth. So I hold these truths to be self evident that all people are created equal & we as a nation will get to the promised land. Outbreed for goodness sake & for the sake of our species. We are all from mother Africa tho we departed at different times. Mix up the gene pool & stay in school.

So I grew up white and poor. Not privileged. In post-war Germany. I saw my frst black person when a medical student from Ghana moved into the next village . We stared at him, followed him to see if there was anything different about him. No, big disappointment. He was just as old and boring as the fathers who rode the bus to their jobs in the city. They wore grey or black coats, wore gloves and carried a briefcase. I learned my first lesson about races: they are all the same. From a certain age on, they were boring and predictable.
Some years later, i became part of a circle of friends who were interns in a large hospital. Some were black, from the Gold Coast, and I often had luch with them ( I was a poor hippie , often hungry) We sat around in a circle with a big bowl of somehting in sauce and a big bowl of rice. We would form a ball from the rice and scoop up the meat and sauce. It was a hot as hades. The guys loved watching me chew my way through the food with tears running down my cheek. They showed me pictures oh home, huts with Mercedes standing by the entrance.
Then I started working for the American Army in Wurzburg and got to know American blacks. The women were reticent and stand-offish. The men were polite but not warm. The single guys were happy that they had somebody to dance with. All of them were not outgoing, not friendly and not ready to be friends. When I came to the US, I understood immediately. Racism sticks to people like a scent on their skin. Many express their fear and hatred of black people openly. I am embarrassed to be white in this country. Believe me, I know a thing ot two about discrimination. There was a time in the early 70s when I had hoped that this disease would run its course, the days of Angela Davis and Martin Luther King. But no....e still have a long way to go here.

I hear you loud and clear.

There has been all types of oppression, not just colour but class, creed, in Indian context caste too.

By the way talking about tax, I am just reminded that the place I belong, there was a tax on women called breast tax in early and mid 19 th century. It was abolished after a lot of protests in general and one incident in particular where a woman cut her breast and gave it to the tax collectors...

You're joking. Please tell me you're joking.

@El-loco nope... Type breast tax in Google and find it out

@Srijith Called Mulakkaram. You couldn't make this stuff up..

@El-loco mula means breast and karam means tax

Your country is still keepimg you back. education is all you have to fight systemic rascism.

You are right.

I think I understand your issue, and the only answer is to refuse them. You are NOT responsible for anyone but yourself and your immeadiate family (spouse and children). I'm afraid you have to stand up and say "No, sorry, I am not reponsible for you. I am trying to make it myself and you should do the same." Be a role model for the next generation.

I don't think this is exclusive to blacks. There might be a higher percentage, but not exclusive.

You are right.

As a tall white guy who grew up in a relatively priviledged environment, I am trying not to be critical - but I do believe (based on dealing with the problems I have faced in life) that blaming others (including your parents) for your problems simply doesn't help. You need to do the best with the cards you were given.

I don't think you understand my point of views when I post.

I guess that advice might be worth something in a general sense. Regardless of your upbringing or color (not sure why you even mentioned it), it takes 10 minutes of research to learn how economically disadvantaged black families still are today.

Perhaps if you grew up as a Black youth in the grinding poverty of a disadvantaged area (ghetto), where the only successful people seemed to be drug dealers and armed robbers, you may have a different outlook.

unless you are faced with resistance at every juncture. then what ????

You've gone through hell. You are not a tax on anyone. You are a human being and you stand head high.

Can I ask (though I have no right to) that you don't take your revenge on those of us who ... you fill in the words.

You are asking me?

Define “problems of the past”?

JVee Level 4 Mar 6, 2018

Problems of the past means Poverty. Take a look at my father who was not there for me at all, now that he heard that I am in US, he wants me to buy him a car. I don't know why he thinks I should reward him with a car,all he says, he doesn't want to die without driving his own car,even when he doesn't afford to maintain and fuel it,he needs it. Other relatives are demanding me to pay for their medical bills, their school children fees, the list grows and grows and grows,it never stops,and they are many,everyone expects you to meet their demands in life. That quote signals you,how we black people, after so many struggles,once we present ourselves as people standing up to walk,then the burden of our relatives hold it back.This is the same across the black communities globally. Do that make sense?

@0752532706 I think I'd have to be saying "no" a lot.
Rewarding people for bad behavior? Just no.
You aren't responsible for them.

I do think that some of our parents had a shame tax ? And the new generation needs to accept and move on- I personally didn't do anything to slaves but I was raised middle class white- being adopted I don't know what my bio mom's family might have been apart of- but none of that matters to me- when ever I have non Whites come in the store I make sure I am respectful- to this day in all of my years of cashiering did they not be kind or say mam back- so I always try and do the same- it's white snowbirds and Redneck's with money who act like we should be beholden to them and I'm not on bord with that

THis is not what Trevor is signaling in that particular quote.

You mean the problems of the past like racism, police brutality, racial profiling, discrimination by lenders, quality of schools in minority versus white neighborhoods, and a lot of other old issues that we've resolved now?

JimG Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

You said it brother!

No, Trevor is signaling the black community taking on the burden of solving extended family problems. That's what his mum called the "The black tax" because almost all black people fell for this trash of trying to solve all relative problems,in the end we remain in poverty.Not because we don't work,but because we work as others take.

Really? All those issues you mention have been Resolved? In Who's World?..In the White bubble world perhaps ..but definitely Not in the real world.

So, you believe it has been resolved now? I believe we have acknowledged the issue but are far from resolving it and may NEVER resolve it. Trump is a testament to that. IMHO

@Charlene @jlynn37 do you not understand sarcasm? Well said though, Trump is exactly that.

@JimG sarcasm I understand rather well, perhaps you need to make it a bit clearer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.