Agnostic.com

62 5

Fear of Hell

As an atheist is continually boggles my mind that I can have no belief in an afterlife and yet still fear what the church indoctrinated me to believe about where we go when we die. Do any other atheists still fear, or have feared, hell fire? If so, how does one get over that fear? I was raised in a Christian home and have only been an open atheist for about 2 years, but I still constantly fear that if I'm wrong I'll burn for eternity.

BlairAlena 4 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (51 - 62)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Evidently you still have some work to do educating yourself. It take six minutes for the brain to shut down after being deprived of oxygen. We are made up of water and electricty. "The starting point is simple: Right now, any cells in your body that aren't actively sending messages are slightly negatively charged. It gets interesting from there." When the body is buried, it decomposes. Or it used to. Now days they are finding a delay of five or more years due to various chemicals in the body. I am not sure about cremated remains. But that is it. Any soul or conciousness dies when the brain does and it simply ceases to exsist. The end.

[health.howstuffworks.com]

[modernlegends.wordpress.com]

I wanted to add to that about recorded near-death experiences. All of the ones on record happened within that six-minute period when the brain was going through oxygen deprivation. Some people cannot fathom an ending to their own life and religions prey on this. Universes and all life are subjected to the rules of evolution. That is life. Anything else is supposition and we have a friction section in our libraries for that.

I have found your response to be completely condescending. I don't need to do more to "educate myself" in this regard. I know when I die I am dead. Still doesn't change the fact that the fear I was indoctrinated with for 22 years still affects me. Please, before you go around being insulting, maybe think about how to say something?

Thanks for being so condescending though. note heavy sarcasm

Its either all bullshit or not

Truly sorry to hear that -sounds like one of the after effects of coming off the drug, I wasnt ever religious so I really don't know what you are truly going through but I do wish you well , and hope that you get some help. I have a sense form soem of teh other things that I have gone through that its true, time heals, give yourself an easy ride for a bit and when those feelings come try talking back to them soothingly - 'ssshh - all will be well!'

Well, first of of you have to realize that the visons of an aferlife depends otn eh religion. Often pepel talk of Haites and Hell as if they are interchangeable, but Haites is actually and freezign cold, whiel Hell is incredibly hot. The visions of Haides originated in colder climates, whiel the idea of Hell originated in hotter climates.

I fyou were to study comparitive religions, you'd find that the idea of an after life is not univerally "hellish". And as you learn each new story of an afterlife, you will likely find that what you were were taught as a Christian was just a made up story just li9ek any other religion.

You might lok for book recommendations on this site. Most of hte books recommended here have expanded my own understanding,or at least have been very interesting and worth reading.

As far as I'm aware, there is no mention of hell in the bible, but rather it was made up as a way of controlling us. I'm not sure there's absolutely nothing after death, but I am sure that it's not what people have let us to believe..and if there is something, it's not anything we can understand or comprehend as biological beings.. It's beyond our scope of understanding.

Apex Level 4 Mar 6, 2018

...never mind.

I don't remember ever believing in hell, but consider this:

• Would a loving father figure torture his children forever for some minor transgression.
  • There is no reason to believe in an afterlife.
  • Hell was never defined or described until Dante Alighieri wrote "The Divine Comedy."
JimG Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

You're going to hell when you die in most religions, some don't have one. The main thing to remember is that a religion is essentially an alternate reality.

I began to lose my fear of punishment during the period of time I was rethinking God's nature, prior to completely losing faith in faith. I'd come to the conclusion that a supreme being would not be vengeful or sadistic, as tradition has held. Hell no longer scared me, at that point.

I've never had a fear of hell, even from a very young age I always felt nobody knew what happened after death. I'm not afraid of death either, but a little irritated by the thought of it, I know I'll have stuff I still wanted to do 🙂

No, that’s stupid, but if it were real I’d have a first class ticket and reservations.

No gods, no satan, no heaven, no hell. There is NOTHING to fear about death.
Nothing happens after you die. You're just dead, that's it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.