Agnostic.com

6 1

LINK The evidence that Jesus ever existed is weaker than you might think

This is the kind of Jesus story in the media that must send shivers down what passes for believers' spines.

Of course, they read it, don't they?

By the way, I loathe Easter. Apart from closed shops, there's all that Bronze Age death cult nonsense. Yuk!

Hope you enjoy more than me.

Grumpy Dave
😟. 🙂

David1955 8 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

My theory is that Christianity was more or less created in 3rd century Rome as a tool for imperial expansion. It worked well! I don't think the European empires could have formed without Christian philosophy and a sense of righteousness and destiny that allowed them to conquer and exploit every culture they came across.

Quite agree. The myth was created by Saul of Tarsus, and the canonisation occurred several centuries later from the evolved myth, by Emperor Big Con and his boys. The article is right about the murky history of this religion. Apply any historical method to it and it doesn't pass the smell test. Bout time those Christians faced up to it.

There is just as much evidence that unicorns exist.

There is evidence in Tacitus' Annals that looks very credible I'm still not convinced though.

[en.wikipedia.org]

That minor reference is much challenged and looks like a later add on. Even so, Tacitus wasn't contemporaneous history.

@David1955 Are you sure that's true? Tacitus is a much-respected historian.

Yes, but there is much debate about these passages.

[rationalwiki.org]

"Even assuming the passage is totally genuine, two fires had destroyed much in the way of official documents Tacitus had to work with and it is unlikely that he would sift through what he did have to find the record of an obscure crucifixion which suggests that Tacitus was repeating an urban myth whose source was likely the Christians themselves,[3]:344 especially since Tacitus was writing at a time when at least the three synoptic gospels were are thought to already be in circulation. '

Richard Carrier, noted mythicist, has also dealt with this issue. If there were other contemporaneous sources, that might add weight, but there aren't any.

I Like bronze age death cult stuff! So much more refreshing than xian Easter crapola!

2,000,000,000 people worship an imaginary zombie. Kind of scary when you think about it isn't it?

BD66 Level 8 Apr 17, 2019

Isn't it though. It's true, if you want people to believe a lie, make it a whopper.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:332538
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.