Agnostic.com

21 5

Is the Dunning Kruger effect real?

This is nan effect where the less someone knows, the more they think they know. This tends to be true from my experience in social interactions. How do you feel?

cashmoney 4 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have observed it.

Of course this is real!! At the risk of sounding cocky this is exactly why I don't like answering questions even if the answer is obvious... It could be mild anxiety too... Lol

I usually clarify statements that are outside what I know for 100% certainty with "...but I could be wrong, of course..." Or wth "...I'm no [such and such] but I [heard, read, or think] that..."

For those that aren't familiar, this video has been my favorite on the topic for years.

Perfect intro to the concept and some of its subtlties.

Yes yes yes it's real. Everyday I deal with the effects that it causes, LOL.

It's as true as sticking your tongue to a frozen pole is dumb.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

This appears to be a grandson of the "Peter Principle," which is the title of a book written by Laurence J Peter published in 1969. The Peter Principle states that within an organizational hierarchy an employee is promoted until reaching a position in which the employee is incompetent. The employee then remains in the position which is one level above the employee's optimum functioning level.

Sounds exactly like the company I work for, lol.

Happens all the time, especially in politics.

Ya probably real!!

I have worked with several people who should have been named Dunning Kruger.

I don't know!

Yes, it is a bias that some people have discovered by a scientist. The person thinks they have much more competence than they actually do. [rationalwiki.org]

Kinda like trump.

We are witnessing the Dunning Kruger presidency. Anyone that doubts the effect need only watch the news.

Agreed. What's worse is when you show them facts that they then agreed with. And they still won't budge from their position.

But I'm not sure if that's part of the D-K effect.

Damn right it's real, we all have come into contact with idiots that fall victim to it all the time. A couple old co-workers I knew were perfect exmples of it, was a chore to have any intelligent conversation with them in regards to science.

Just experienced it today on here.

Of course it's real. 75% of the right suffers from it.

Was that Freddies brother from over there on Elm Street? The less you know the less you can help you self, so that is a bogas theory.

Maybe it should be called the Archie Bunker effect. I have a former mother-in-law who really liked that show and said that Archie was funny but he was also exactly correct.

Very real.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

I have a family member where this effect is very obvious.

mkap Level 2 Mar 6, 2018

I've definitely encountered it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33326
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.