Agnostic.com

32 3

Preferences in dating

I just got into a conversation over whether or not having a preference, in for a particular, a racial (as in preferring to date inside or outside of your own race) or sexual orientation (for instance if I said that I would only date bisexual/pansexual people or how some lesbians refuse to date, bisexual women) of a potential partner. The person with whom I was having this discussion with thinks that having a preference of any sort is wrong but for them, it all goes back to god. So I wanted to pose the question to you all.

Is having these sort of particular preferences wrong?

• 2 votes
  • 67 votes
pansetheist 3 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally, I'm open to dating a lady of any race, but I will only date lesbians, as I've had enough with bi women leaving me to marry some dude. It's happened repeatedly and I'd rather spare myself the pain and just not go down that road again.

The question about race being part of one's preferences brings up something I've been wondering about, though. If someone said they found people not of their own race especially attractive they'd be accused of fetishizing or exotifying.

Preferences cannot be wrong. Personally I think limiting by race is pretty stupid, but you can't force people to be attracted to people they aren't attracted to. Let people be who they are and love whom they love.

I read your post a couple of times and I'm still not sure what your question is. Personally, I will date only women and if she happens to be bisexual, that's okay. But who someone dates is their own business.

Birds of a feather stick together mind you the feather may be metaphorical

Why is it if you say "I'm not typically attracted to black guys, not that I have anything at all against them it's just my body doesn't have any sexual desire towards them" you're a racist but if you say "I don't find morbidly obese people physically attractive" it's "well I mean you can't force yourself to like something"

You have the freedom to date anybody of any persuasion or any race. It's your choice. In my area we have what I call "racists unawares." I don't mean people who would not date another race simply as a preference. I mean religiously ingrained white supremacists. Most know what they like but they are not sure why. Also, my area was thick with the KKK in the 60's and 70's. I hear they are still around but the old ones have now died off. We actually have a few blacks and latinos now. A Chinaman even had a recyle place around here unttil 2016.

I am open to dating someone of any gender, gender variation, any sexual orientation except for gay males, since they are typically only attracted to cis males, but not race or age.

I am panromantic, so can fall in love with anyone and anything, but for a possible life partner, age differences can be a problem because of lack of shared memories of past decades.

I not only limit my dating to Caucasians, but to Americans, or (possibly) Australians, of my social class, education level, and economic background.

There are too many ethnic people of both genders who pursue me in order to get green cards, or improve their social status, etc., and most, if not all, other cultures are patriarchal. Even with white Americans, I avoid blue collar types who are typically also patriarchal, no matter what they claim to the contrary.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33360
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.