Agnostic.com

22 6

Gardening

Do we have any gardeners here and if so, whatcha planting? I'm putting in 4 raised beds this year. lots of veggies and herbs. Hopefully transplanting raspberries and blackberries. And then come the fruit trees!

MrPKitty 5 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have two 4X4 raised beds, and pots on my deck. I have grown lots of tomatoes. I grow a varieety of herbs, and other vegetables as it strikes my fancy. We'll see what gets planted after I hit the garden centers.

A friend and I have grown produce for our local Food Gatherers chapter in the last few years - over 100bs last year. We grow sturdy tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, some kale and green beans, and one very large harvest of butternut squash.
In my own garden I like tomatoes, basil and last year a cucumber plant too.

I have a garden it is about 1/2 an acre in size.

I am going to try some hanging baskets this year. I am at the end of 5 hip replacements so the bending over to weed isn't going to happen this year. I am going to try a couple of kinds of tomatoes, zucchinni, and summer squash with herbs like cilantro and parsley planted in the top--

I have tomatoes, basil and all types of flowers. I spent Saturday and Sunday weeding flower beds. I'm so ready for summer! Impatient, have tons of seedlings I put out in the mornings and bring in at night. Hyacinth came up early and the leaves are a little damaged from the snow. They are about done blooming now. Tulips are up but no blooms yet. Hydrangeas starting to leaf out. I don't have enough yard or sunlight for everything in my head lol.

Just found this group. Been gardening in back yard for over 40 yrs in NE Joplin. Peas are done for this year. Just picked the first tomato. Several very small squash looking good. Pole beans coming up. Almost ready to dig potatoes.

I am in MA and your area sounds exactly the same as mine. I am at the same point in growing...

I grow all sorts of flowers here at home .... geraniums are a favourite, lillies, and loads of lobelia. I also help organise a community garden nearby for those a little less fortunate mentally or physically.There we grow all sorts of flowers , hanging baskets , organic veg and the herb garden . The kids especially enjoy growing runner beans and strawberries . We won 7 local council awards last summer and weve even got some funding to help with the costs . The council won't let us organise a barbecue , because of the health and safety issues ......so every summer its a big picnic . Its also a lovely space if you fancy a bit of quiet time . We grew loads of nasturtiums last year from seed . Dead easy for the kids , good to eat and 27 billion butterflies !

Been working for a large organic farm ..going on my 3rd year, so haven’t raised anything in my tilled & waiting garden spot … too much good stuff from the farm to bother raising it.. The prior 33 years I’d not been without rotational gardens; 2 plots in cover crops, 1 in production. Had 27 fruiting trees and vines, too.

Starting over.. I’ve 6 fruit trees & 2 grapes. The trees are pruned & trained for their 3rd year, and the grapes are awaiting a trellis atop their 5 poles.. I’m currently corresponding with a nursery in NC for some persimmon rootstock to graft the (stolen) scions I just snuck home from a yard in DC 😉 Do you have wild persimmons growing there in Missouri..?

And ..what kind of fruit trees are you planning on? In Oregon’s Willamette Valley, I had Asian & American persimmons, figs & both hardy & fuzzy kiwi... Here on Virginia’s Blue Ridge.. it’s too cold for most of those 😟 No flowers, with roving deer, but some pampered arborvitae … and those caged fruit trees..

Varn Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

I love gardening. At one time, I had eight flower beds and a vegetable garden. I do miss it

I live in the city but I have converted most of my yard into food producing space. I grow herbs on the back porch near the kitchen. I have several berry patches. The main beds are tomatoes, peppers, squash, tomatillo, cucumbers, eggplant, melons. I have an herb garden with some medicinal herbs. If I had more time I would do even more to try to extended the growing season (cold frames, hoop house, etc). I have a small side business selling heirloom tomato starts. I think I had 60+ varieties this year.

I'd love to get a seed swap going.

I've got a 20x60 that I'm waiting for it to thaw and dry out. About the only thing I could plant now is peas which fresh are wonderful. Usually have Roma tomatoes some bell peppers jalapenos squash and melons. My fruit trees have been pruned for the season just have to spray the peroxide and garlic before they bloom. Oh and the black berries are wild all over the property. Best year was 70 gallons.

I have 2 acres on a hillside in the Ozarks. I have a big veggie garden and lots of flower beds. I am a Master Gardener. Can't wait to get out in the dirt. Daffodils, crested iris and crocuses blooming now.

I've been known to plant gardens specifically for wild life and I have one just for my cats. It has a sand box for,...you know and a patch of oat grass and cat nip. I also planted mint around it to help keep down fleas and ticks

If you ever need some good advice or can give some try growsonyou.com

I have a food jungle, everything in my back yard is edible, mostly things I love, fruits and berries.

I organic garden veggies, fruits and also have bees. Love doing growing things and better yet preserving it.

Me! Me! I now have a pretty small urban lot but I have a veggie garden that feeds me pretty well and every year I dig up more of the lawn to plant flowers. I even have a tiny raspberry patch and a jostaberry bush. I love being out there. My first crocus buds have appeard in the lawn and there are green tips poking out everywhere.

I'm a vegetable gardener. In the spring -- tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, yellow squash. In the summer -- a variiety of southern field peas called acre peas. In the winter -- cabbabe, broccolo, cauliflower, beans, carrots.

I have 3 gardens and a small orchard (30 dwarf trees). Last year I planted shelling peas, garlic, onions, squash, Asparagus, Bok Choy, and potatoes. Once a month I harvest the potatoes and just a vouple of days ago I dug up 6.5 lbs Yukon Gold pots. One weighed 15 oz. Unfortunately, the vegetable garden is too much and I will have to let some of it go.

I like to garden, but find I don't have the time. The last time I grew anything it was actually tobacco. That was a fun experiment.

d_day Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

Raspberries strawberries tomatoes beans and grass !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33410
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.