Agnostic.com

20 0

Do you believe in free will?

Peacefulperson 6 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to take what I hear from Sam Harris on the subject. A one word answer then would be no.
My experience as I'm dealing with life in the seniors (75) is changing so quickly on so many fronts, that lots of positions, long held, no longer mean excrement (expletive). That I could flip like that, cast a good illusion of my having free will. I need to further cogitate on that.

Yes. James

Leon Level 5 Mar 7, 2018

You bet your ass. I'm a musician. We are all about free stuff.

For about the tenth time on this site NO ,NO,NO.

Definitely not . We are a result of genitics and environmental influences,non of our choosing

No we are controlled by our genes and hormones

You had the free will to search that subject on previous posts.

Its a nice idea

Do I believe in free will? I want to but no one will let me. I never get to do anything fun!

I do not.

Hell ya I believe in Free Will. Everything that effects my life is a result of the choices i've made.

I don't believe in anything, something either is or isn't, free will needs a definition, what is your concept of free will?

AdieG Level 4 Mar 7, 2018

My concept of free will is. It's all about choices. No matter if bad or good no one can make a person do what they want unless they control them. And the Christian God is not responsible for man kind choices. We are the blame. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

No, my attorney charged me for my will and trusts. No free wills from her.

If we had free will we wouldn't be able to treat people with mental issues by adjusting their brain chemistry. I'm not talking about alcohol, weed, hards drugs, or drugging people tiIl they're like zombies, I mean theraputic chemicals. It would be easier to use psychology to tamper down moods.

Only psychedelics have a chance of helpings the phychologist's do their work.

We can't determine the options we choose from...sometimes life just kicks your ass and all you can do is choose the lesser evil. That being said, we are solely responsible for what we choose.

If freewill is but an illusion, I can accept that illusion, and act accordingly.

I believe free will is an illusion, and that all experiences, including the experiences of making choices or acting on one's own, are ultimately, in fact, passive. I like Spinoza's view on this subject. Not believing in free will doesn't mean that one should use it as an excuse for bad behavior, though.

I totally concur!

Right. But it can inform us on what we should do about bad behaviour, such as focusing on rehabilitation in correctional facilities for the purposes of reducing recidivism.

Yes. We don’t always know/understand the reasons why we are compelled to do things, and our choices are shaped by our experiences, perceptions and options. But nothing is pre-ordained - we always make choices.

I think so… Or did the devil make me write that?

Varn Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

Free will has it's limits, there are societal and familial rules that preclude this not to mention economic limits. In a religious sense it is a way to legitmize the fact that there really is no God by claiming all the bad stuff people do is due to free will and it is true, they are free to be that way but it was not given because any God gave us that right.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.