Agnostic.com

9 1

I'm just wondering...

If I start my own church and make money from it, would that be considered fraud due to fact that I'm an atheist? lol

Moriarty 2 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At one time I thought of setting up a business offering to say prayers for people - several religions think you benefit from the quantity of prayers said either by you or on your behalf. I thought it would be good that I was an atheist since I would just be the performer and wouldn't be stealing any of the benefits. Never got around to it though.

Nope!

The first thing that came to mind was when John Oliver started the Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption church.
Not only was that one of the funniest things to watch but it was spot on as far as religious entities go.

I'm almost certain the United Church of Bacon did just that and now has the tax status as a religious institution.

Buxx Level 7 Apr 21, 2019

Bacon should be recognized as holy, though. The taste of bacon and chocolate banana anything are the only things that make me question my athiesm.

No. That would make you an entrepreneur.

Buxx Level 7 Apr 21, 2019

Actually I know a few ministers who are closeted agnostics if not atheists. What do you do when you have a degree in divinity or theology or philosophy and your jobs pays the bills. You fake it! Sooo, if you think you have what it takes to attract followers and life a false life, go for it!

What church isn't fraudulent?

1of5 Level 8 Apr 21, 2019

I was just about to say that. ?

That would be a question for L Ron Hubbard

Will you be paying fees, file taxes and stuff like that? Faith is actually not a requirement, but you have o have followerts and meetings. You have a name yet?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:334967
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.