Agnostic.com

48 10

Where do you stand on education in Liberal Arts? This includes art, social sciences, foreign language, and communications.

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments (26 - 48)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m not a fan. Get a degree in science. I hear someone mention their BA and I think about how easy it must have been.

Not everyone is suited for science or technology. A liberal arts degree is good preparation for general management posistions as well as degree specific employment. Communications, journalism and english majors are in demand for public relations, policy and speech writing, marketing and employee relations. Foreign language majors can look to employment at the US Department of State, the Pentagon and CIA. Community service organizations use social service folks. Art majors teach and can work in commercial arts, architectural and publishing fields.

Not making fun of anyone, just sharing a picture I took in a restroom in Asheville, NC, coincidentally one of the most liberal and artsy towns I've ever been to. I like the irony of the unnecessary apostrophe by the person making fun of liberal arts degrees.

I grew up in Asheville. Have lived all around the world. My home town has grown and changed significantly.

Depends. It's a good way to throw away four years without a major. Not that this is pervaisive but it is possible. But let's take each one in turn.
Art: The manipulation of media. Higher education can mold raw talent into a more directed skill set. Many people have succeeded on their own in this field but the environment of peers and mentors serves as a catalyst for skill development.
Social Sciences: A quagmire of statistics and opinion.
Language and Communcations: Good for future managers and polyglots.

Liberal arts education facilitates one's ability to approach problems and issues from a multiple of disciplines. The teachers once how to think how to analyze and how to synthesize. People with a quality and I emphasize quality liberal arts education do extremely well as they understand multiple disciplines and don't see every problem as purely linear

I'm 100% for it. I would also include art and music education. I think our primary education should be well rounded. I think we should learn foreign language beginning in kindergarten and that everyone in this country should be taught at least one other language besides their primary language. History is another area we should have more of, not less. I think every student in this country should read Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States." And ultimately, our education system should teach people how to think critically, not just regurgitate information for tests.

I took an art class in college. Some in high school as well.

Incredibly important. Liberal Arts goes back to the time of the Greeks, and was designed to be a fundamental basis for knowledge. The reason why they are being attacked in American Culture is, due to how people are utilizing their paths beyond a basic education. The less people are educated, the easier it is to control them. We have seen this with African-Americans, since the Civil Rights movement and the end of Jim Crow, and now it is being applied to rural white America. To keep them voting along their line, to maintain power. The more education one has, the more they possess to control the powers that lie within their reach.

I believe that the more widely knowledgeable a person is, the more intellectual ammo the person has to draw upon to apply in many circumstances. But that liberal arts education must emphasize synthesis and application.

Love it I think its necessary to be a roudned individual -(my take)

I think they are very important.

I feel the more communications the better, providing her husband doesn’t find out and if he did, hopefully he will be very understanding. My philosophy is quite simple really. If I make her happy, when she goes home, she will be happy and if she’s happy, her husband will be happy. Simples really

Leon Level 5 Mar 7, 2018

LIberal is OK with me, except neoliberal. 🙂

Not quite sure why you would ask this question; don't all intellectual pursuits has value and contribute to humanity?

All food has some nutritional value, but that doesn't mean they're all equally nutritious.

@Lysistrata Which of the liberal arts do you feel have no nutrition? Keep in mind that devaluing them means society loses them at its' peril leaving it without the tools to understand itself or the ability to record its' own passing.

@HeathenFarmer To the contrary; I believe liberal arts are among the most valuable intellectual pursuits.

It is Education.

Languages (my fïeld) should be taught from kinder.....two languages besides the official one.

Official one?

@NothinnXpreVails A student must learn to speak / read / wrote CORRECTLY his/her country's language (official lang.)....plus two others.

There is no official language, at least not in the United States. @DUCHESSA

@NothinnXpreVails I was waiting for an answer such as yours. The fact the Constitution doesn't declare English as the official language ..a person has to be short minded no to accept that English is the language of the land.

No, I don’t. Fucking immigration built this piece of shit, no official language. @DUCHESSA

@NothinnXpreVails Darling...your point of view is not one that benefits the nation.

I would question foreign languages being a "Liberal Art". It's essential to know at least one other language if understanding of other cultures is to be improved. When I was at school 40 years ago, languages were still considered and "Art" subject and could not be combined with the "Sciences". Now hopefully that is changing. Other countries around the world never thought like this, so most other cultures speak other languages too, and have the advantage in trade & politics for example . I still managed to fight against the system and learn other languages, and have had a wonderful life living abroad and using them.

Admittedly, as poli sci person, I'm biased, but I agree with the two prior posts--essential, and the key to a well-rounded education!

Liberal arts are absolutely essential. Instead of dumbing down America we could actually catch up with other nations whose young people can speak multiple languages, communicate face-to-face, and hold an appreciation for the Arts.

Absolutely.

I have one of those degrees 🙂
Education, history, and musical.

Depends on what your thinking is. I think they're essential eventually but with things like global warming, hunger, and so on, I think they should be replaced with classes that focus on improving these things. When the world isn't in disarray we can all dance and paint and what not

Happily support

I think the liberal arts are essential.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33529
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.