Agnostic.com

12 3

You're are an enlightened and helpful bunch. Can anyone give me any advice on getting a good day/nights sleep. I've never got a good nights sleep on a regular basis but I've recently started to work 7:30pm to 7:30am and I'm struggling more through the daytime to get adequate naps. Thanks.

BawdyTales 5 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are you having issues with falling asleep or staying asleep?

How many hours are you normally awake after you get off at 7:00pm? That's how long you need to stay awake after you get off work at 7:00am. Then you need a good dark room. Foil works fabulously for blacking windows out.

2 Four Lokos (preferably the green apple to cover the taste of the battery acid or whatever they use), 2 benadryl, 2 Motrin and a glass of water. Works every time.

Dark room, quiet, headphones if necessary, cool, maybe read to relax before trying to sleep.

I don't know if I've always had this and have only just isolated it or have developed it over the past few years but processed white flour, in bread particularly, acts like a sleeping drug. If I'm on my feet I won't just keel over but if I eat bread while sat on the sofa I'm asleep within 10-15 mins.

I agree with Mordant's and others sentiments. I've suffered from insomnia for the past 10-15 years, and most nights I can manage about 6-6.5 hours of sleep, but not always. I recommend a solid nighttime routine; figure out what calms you down, quiets your mind. For me, I make tea, shower or take a warm bath, and try to lay down by a set time every night. I've tried not using my phone, but find that putting on a random meditation video while falling asleep really helps--not so much because I enjoy the meditation aspect of it, but because the slow drone of a deep voice puts me out; my stepmom puts on documentaries to fall asleep for this same reason. Documentaries and music are too engaging for me to sleep to, so find what works best for you.

I'm not big on taking medicine if I don't absolutely need it, so I shunned the use of even natural sleep aids like melatonin--until I traveled to Europe last November and was hit with the worst jetlag. I went 2 days without so much as an hour of sleep, almost passed out at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, and by the time I got to Rome I was desperate (4 hours of sleep in 4 days at that point) and picked up a combination of melatonin and tryptophan--first solid 6 hours of sleep that night. I highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't already. I don't recommend using it every night either; I used it to reset my sleep cycle and cue my body into the fact that it was okay to sleep.

Try melatonin..it knocks me right out..

I would go the natural way. I will eat turkey, prunes, walnuts, honey, sweet potatoes, cherry, nut butter....
There are many list of sleep inducing foods in google.

Going to bed always at the same time helps a lot...as does shooting off cells and TV

I have two ''secrets'' to share. First, you need to be very relaxed before going to bed, so a hot tub/warm shower is good. Tell yourself you'll be relaxing now...and begin by imagining every muscle in your body as pudding! THINK about your toes--clench and release. Move up to the ankles...same thing...tense, release. Gradually move up your body, relaxing every muscle you can. Then, when you get to your brain, imagine you have super powers and think about what you'd do. I'd clean up the oceans, remove every bit of human trash from the planet, correct our current political situation. These things put me to sleep every time.

I've been using CBD gum. It's 150mg of cbd per piece and calms my mind enough to get a good nights sleep. There's no thc in it so you won't get high.

Wish I knew the answer to this one . When I was small , they removed my tonsils and adnoids . Doctor told my Mom , I'd never have trouble with snoring . Yeah , right ! As an adult they removed my soft palet , that dangly bit that hangs down at the back of your throat . After that , my snoring didn't wake ME up , any more . But I still don't sleep well . They were talking about fixing my diviated septum . Had a doctor feed a camera down my throat , by way of my nose . He said , the largest nostral, was so small , he had trouble getting the camera in . My nose is definitely , not small . I used to do my shopping at Walmarts in the middle of the night - no crowds , easy parking . Then they cut back their store hours . Do spend a lot of time on the computer at nigh , and the cats are always wanting to be let in and out , all night long . I find I'm most likely to drift off , if I'm watching some TV show on the computer .

Bedtime is sacred, and only for sleeping. No television watching, no web surfing. Some light reading if it relaxes you. Go to sleep at the same time every night. Stay in bed whether you sleep or not (reading again, maybe, if you wake up) -- no wandering downstairs to eat and watch TV. Basic good sleep hygiene in other words. My wife has had terrible insomnia problems most of her adult life and has been astounded how much these simple tips have helped her.

Make sure your bed / bedroom are a sancuary, are quiet and peaceful and comfortable. Don't overheat or use too many covers, it tends to awaken you as your body temp rises toward or a bit past the halfway point of the night anyway. Consider separate beds or at least separate blankets, a CPAP machine or whatever it takes to isolate yourself from the thrashing, cover-yanking or snoring of your sleep partner. We've found the sleep foam, Tempur-Pedic style of mattress to be a huge help in this regard. Don't under-invest in your bed, and make sure you have a good stiff frame for it.

If you have a lot of problem with intruding thoughts / worries, consider taking up secular meditation techniques or getting therapy for the underlying issues.

Sound advice thanks

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33548
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.